Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Search segment-by-segment on DL.dumb and sort by miles (not "best match") to see if the space is available to DL. You're going to find a lot of unavailable AF/KL space that way, so I'd use ExpertFlyer for the AF/KL flights over the water. Out of SEA, don't forget about using AS. Search for super saver seats on alaskaair.com and those should show up on DL.dumb, too.
Yes, and use AS to get to cities like SFO or LAX for more options TATL on KL/AF.

If there's no space showing on EF for an AF/KL flight, you won't be able to book it using SkyMiles. They now make much more space available to FlyingBlue members than to partners.
If EF doesn't show it, you can't book. So this is spot on.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can someone see if there are low TATL awards on 6/22, 6/29 or 7/6 out of SFO or LAX?

Ultimate destination is Italy (VRN) and the return would be 2 weeks later, either on Friday or Saturday, out of TRN.

ETA: And yes, I did search SFO-CDG and LAX-CDG on delta.com as well as call them this week.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Can someone see if there are low TATL awards on 6/22, 6/29 or 7/6 out of SFO or LAX?

Ultimate destination is Italy (VRN) and the return would be 2 weeks later, either on Friday or Saturday, out of TRN.

ETA: And yes, I did search SFO-CDG and LAX-CDG on delta.com as well as call them this week.
What you want to do is find your TATL portion first. Meaning you need to connect in CDG or AMS. So piece together a US-AMS/CDG piece. By that I mean for the dates you want, find the routing on DL/KL/AF that works US-AMS/CDG, then piece together from where you want to start at to that US city.

Don't limit yourself to LAX/SFO.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Don't limit yourself to LAX/SFO.
Or AF/KL, especially if going to Italy. AZ can be a great option and has a better hard product in J.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:12 pm

Or AF/KL, especially if going to Italy. AZ can be a great option and has a better hard product in J.
Good advice.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I do have an award already with an LAX-FCO segment.

However, I asked about later dates and they say there aren't any.

Don't limit to SFO/LAX? What other options are there? I checked SEA but while there is a SEA-CDG segment, it comes out at a very high price. 300k miles or more IIRC.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:49 pm

Don't limit to SFO/LAX? What other options are there? I checked SEA but while there is a SEA-CDG segment, it comes out at a very high price. 300k miles or more IIRC.
Get yourself from any Europe hub to any US city. There are tons of options, try downloading the SkyTeam travel desk application to your PC and go from there.

Get to FCO, AMS, or CDG. Cities like, NYC (all), PHL, BOS, IAD, DCA, MIA, DFW, CHI (all), ATL, DTW, SLC, MSP, DTW, CVG, MEM, etc.

Make sense? Map out all your routings on DL, AF, and KL and find anything that is open.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree

PDX-AMS often has some low tier availability...can be a nice trip, no layovers.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
tried booking for months now

any flights operated by KLM don't seem to be bookable...
found SEA-YYC-AMS-ZRH for low mileage coach but it is never bookable

called Delta and they saw the same combination on their computer but said it's unavailable...

also whenever I find a KLM flight like AMS-ZRH it is bookable but when I try to book it together as PDX-AMS-ZRH it shows up for low mileage but won't book...

any sugestions

trying to go from PDX to ZRH or STR in mid june (2 or 3 people)
returning in mid July
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:10 am

Thanks for the info here. Awesome to take the time & share. Does this same logic apply to US flights to Africa? I'm battling to find anything reasonable for SFO - JNB.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by seydou
Thanks for the info here. Awesome to take the time & share. Does this same logic apply to US flights to Africa? I'm battling to find anything reasonable for SFO - JNB.
DL or other metal? If DL check ATL first.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
DL or other metal? If DL check ATL first.
I'm not sure I understand your first question; forgive me. Agree on starting with ATL - I've flown that route a couple times.

Searching through Delta, I can get:

RT ATL-JNB in business (direct) for 250,000.
RT ATL-JNB in economy (direct) for 150,000.

Breaking into one-ways, I can't seem to do what the original post recommended. No business class even pop up when searching through economy. That's what prompted my question of if this is more tips for European travel than African.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:28 am

Breaking into one-ways, I can't seem to do what the original post recommended. No business class even pop up when searching through economy. That's what prompted my question of if this is more tips for European travel than African.

Thanks for the reply.
The search for economy thing doesn't really work any more. This is part of the reason that I want this thread closed down and a new one started with the current best practices. Search segment-by-segment and always sort by miles required. DL has started determining that a DL medium combo IAD-XXX-CDG is a "better match" than the AF non-stop IAD-CDG at low
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:50 am

The search for economy thing doesn't really work any more. This is part of the reason that I want this thread closed down and a new one started with the current best practices. Search segment-by-segment and always sort by miles required. DL has started determining that a DL medium combo IAD-XXX-CDG is a "better match" than the AF non-stop IAD-CDG at low
Thanks. So maybe the question I should be asking is... what is a reasonable target number of miles for a North America - Africa flight? (Is that question even answerable for Delta?) 150k for economy / 250k for business seems steep.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:24 am

Thanks. So maybe the question I should be asking is... what is a reasonable target number of miles for a North America - Africa flight? (Is that question even answerable for Delta?) 150k for economy / 250k for business seems steep.
Check the award chart. Don't accept anything more than low unless you really want the nonstop. Apparently low space (at least in J) on ATL-JNB is mythical. Routing over AMS/CDG opens up far more options. It seems it's mainly the TATL award space that AF/KL have restricted. CDG-JNB is wide open in both classes generally (maybe need to be flexible by a day or two, but shouldn't be too bad). Get yourself to Europe somehow (DL, AF, KL, AZ), then get to CDG/AMS, then get to Africa. KQ can also be an option from Europe to NBO, but you will get hit with fuel surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.