Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Any way to search award inventory on KQ? I'm trying to get from SAT (or IAH) to SEZ in business class at the low level, but have hit a brick wall despite complete flexibility when I call in and inquire about an itinerary featuring the DL-coded, HM-operated flight from CDG-SEZ. So Plan B would be KQ from AMS or CDG to SEZ via NBO. I know that KQ inventory was generally excellent with NW, but I'm not sure with DL.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Any way to search award inventory on KQ? I'm trying to get from SAT (or IAH) to SEZ in business class at the low level, but have hit a brick wall despite complete flexibility when I call in and inquire about an itinerary featuring the DL-coded, HM-operated flight from CDG-SEZ. So Plan B would be KQ from AMS or CDG to SEZ via NBO. I know that KQ inventory was generally excellent with NW, but I'm not sure with DL.
Award availability for AF-coded CDG-SEZ flights should show up on Expertflyer. I have successfully booked several AF-coded, MH-operated CDG-SEZ awards in the past year. DL often has a hard time booking these, as they require the issuance of paper tickets. Good luck!
Old May 15, 2010, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Award availability for AF-coded CDG-SEZ flights should show up on Expertflyer. I have successfully booked several AF-coded, MH-operated CDG-SEZ awards in the past year. DL often has a hard time booking these, as they require the issuance of paper tickets. Good luck!
Thank you. I'm about to tear my hair out dealing with DL's agents. Three out of four of them have insisted that they can't book me on the AF-coded, HM-operated flight. It seems like the same percentage of agents also insist that they can only search five days before I have to hang up and call back. Is there any length DL won't go to in an effort to make it damn near impossible to book award travel?

Edited to add: KVS got the job done. Well worth the investment. I wish I had bypassed delta.com and DL's telephone agents from the outset.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; May 18, 2010 at 12:30 am
Old May 15, 2010, 9:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by johnnierotten5
Thank you for your suggestions!
Sorry for having to ask this, but I am new to the process and have been getting a little lost in the acronyms What does AZ TATL stand for? Also, what did you mean by "in J for 2 pax."? I assume J is either coach or business class, but not sure which?? Thanks!
2 other ideas
This should pay for itself when you see what it does for you.
Once you have spent your miles, you can cancel completely.
Well worth 10$ You can also get a 5$ / mo service
the extra 5$ makes it possible to search 1 week at a time at 1 go.
You can search Alitalia (AZ) and many other airlines incl Korean, American Alaska, Air france etc etc

You can try KVS tool as well.
That scrapes the DL site for low high and medium awards.
Not as useful in some respects; much more useful in other respects
For low and medium this is great, for partners, EF is better
Old May 15, 2010, 9:33 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by johnnierotten5
Hi All-
Myself, my husband and our best friend would all like to use our Skymiles to go on a trip to Asia in March/April 2011. My husband has 63,000 miles, I have 83,112 miles, and our friend has 153,338 miles.
Our ideal itinary would be to go on March 26, 2011 from ATL-HKG (SM) and stay in Hong Kong for two days. Then, take a train from HKG to PEK through Shanghi - arriving in PEK around March 30, 2011. Stay in PEK for about 4 days, then fly PEK-NRT (cash/points from FlexPerks) and stay in Tokyo until around April 9, 2011 when we would fly NRT-ATL (SM). I realize my husband and I dont have enough points to cover the flight from PEK-NRT in this scenario, but would be happy to at least cover the main part of the trip (ATL-HKG & NRT-ATL).
I couldnt find any Low Tier Coach nor Business Class (our friend) flights from these direct locations.
Any suggestions??
Also, if you do book something like a multi destination from ATL-MSP-NRT-HKG and then NRT-ATL, could it all be counted as one 60,000 low mile round trip to Asia?
SAT 26 Mar 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------
DL 27 DTW 15:30 HKG 19:45 +1 777 0 CX+

SAT 26 Mar 2011 | 2 Seat MEDIUM

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------
DL 27 DTW 15:30 HKG 19:45 +1 777 0 YM+

If ALL segments are available in LOW, then it can be done
If one is in Medium then the problem is that DL does not just charge Medium; they charge a LOW award and then ADD a medium award!

Go see the US air forum and get busy buying miles and sharing them among your family and friends to get to 90k for Bz to Asia
Old May 18, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
The HM flight should show up on Delta.com. The key, I have found, is that you have to do a multi city search with at least 4 segments, with the CDG-SEZ being its own segment. I don't know why round trip searches won't work, but multi-city should do the trick.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, National, Marriott
I have gone through the thread several times but I am yet unable to figure out how to choose the 'class' of fare in award tickets. When I search for something, the results only show up as 'coach'. I can never tell what class the coach fare is in.

I am flying to Europe next month and would love to take my wife with me in business.

I can't seem to figure this out.. any help is appreciated.

S
Old May 27, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by kahuna613
The HM flight should show up on Delta.com. The key, I have found, is that you have to do a multi city search with at least 4 segments, with the CDG-SEZ being its own segment. I don't know why round trip searches won't work, but multi-city should do the trick.
I was recently successful at booking two low level J class awards on AF, IAD-CDG-SEZ, for my daughter's honeymoon. EF helped with determining "O" class award availability, but you can also find it on dl.com if you search by schedule and by segment. If an AF flight appears as one of the options, then it's available at the low award level since AF doesn't offer mid- and high level awards.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cyberdentist
I have gone through the thread several times but I am yet unable to figure out how to choose the 'class' of fare in award tickets. When I search for something, the results only show up as 'coach'. I can never tell what class the coach fare is in.

I am flying to Europe next month and would love to take my wife with me in business.

I can't seem to figure this out.. any help is appreciated.

S

Follow the instructions.

When the flights come up, on the right hand side near the mileage required, under flights and cabin, it will state either business or coach.

Summer appears tough for low tier business, based on a quick search.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Low Asia Awards?

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I posted this quick guide to Business Award searches in another thread, but after a number of folks mentioned how great it worked for them, I decided to create a separate thread. Also, if anyone else has tips which may be beneficial, please post them as well.

I will be the first to say DL's award engine is horrendous at best, however there are ways around it.

Now for the guide (please note, although this guide was created to assist with travel from the US past AMS/CDG, it is also beneficial for all award bookings):

For awards beyond AMS / CDG in J, the best way to search is the following:

Search for USA - AMS / CDG ONE WAY in Y by Mileage.

In the flights displayed, look for those priced at 100,000, with seating in First / Business.

If you cannot find any 100,000 mile flights with First / Business seating, do another search but search for J this time.

Do this over and over until you find a 100,000 mile one way routing. Generally, it will be Business / First seats within your coach search. I think the problem most have is we tend to search for Business seats by selecting the business drop down. This is a big no no. Always select a coach search first, and seek business within, its often cheaper.

Next, perform another one way search in J for the AMS/CDG - EU. I generally find plenty of EU J inventory available.

Then, perform the same in reverse for your travel back to the US.

Once you find one way itineraries at the low mileage level, you perform a multi-segment award search. Be sure to select the flights you found earlier in the process at the low tiers.

Sometimes you may have to break down the segments even further such as TPA-ATL, ATL-CDG, CDG-OTP, in order to find the lowest available tiers.

One thing I have noticed is that so long as the DL Award Calendar shows J available at the low tier, it is, only you have to search to find it.

This is how I book my award travel in J to OTP. Takes a bit of work, but it can be done.

I am in the middle of packing for my trip tomorrow and will add more details later. Good luck.

Brad...
Does anyone know if this is likely to work to Asia? It's been impossible to get a low award to KIX or NRT for months - even 10 months out!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
It's been impossible to get a low award to KIX or NRT for months - even 10 months out!
Successes to, and through, NRT have been reported. Keep applying the method.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-here-102.html
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Clarification Please?

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Follow the instructions.

When the flights come up, on the right hand side near the mileage required, under flights and cabin, it will state either business or coach.

Summer appears tough for low tier business, based on a quick search.

Good luck.

I also got confused on how to get the fare class to display in the search results. Tried the suggestion above and it only appears to sort the results but without actually specifying the fare class. Is this what its supposed to do?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Mariott-Platinum Premier; Hyatt-Diamond;Hilton-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-Presidents
Help to Asia

Thanks for all the great advice. I have read this thread carefully several times and have been trying to apply the principles

I'm trying to get from Atlanta to Beijing in First / Business (2 pax) during April - May of 2011. I haven't been able to find anything less than 240,000 miles each. I've looked at connections through JFK, BOS, IAD, ORD, MSP, DTW, SEA, LAX to no avail. I have also looked at starting from these other cities rather than ATL.

Any advice or suggestions? 480,000 is a steep price!!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:00 am

Delta award travel

Hi, I'm a newbie and I have a question. How do you search award ticket under Y or J? I don't see any codes on the award ticket page.
Please help.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by mlb1
Hi, I'm a newbie and I have a question. How do you search award ticket under Y or J? I don't see any codes on the award ticket page.
Please help.
Search Coach = Search Y

Search First/Business = Search J

Good luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.