Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So if you find award inventory on expertflyer or another Skyteam site, then you call Delta and ask them to book those?

Trying to book for next May now and DL.com of course isn't showing any AF awards to FCO for instance (ultimately want to get to PMO but apparently they don't offer awards all the way down to PMO).

I tried the tricks suggested, searching one segment at a time for coach seats and they're just not showing up that far out.

Should I hope that a few months from the target travel date, more inventory will show up on DL.com?

Or pay the booking fee now and call them?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
So ... I need to search Expert Flyer myself (a/k/a Do All the Work), and then call DL Partner Desk with the exact information, so they can charge me the phone booking fee?
SkyMiles award routings with segments operated by AF and AS are bookable on delta.com

The contention of this thread is that awards can be found - not that it's easy. For how many partners of AA can awards be booked online? US?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
So if you find award inventory on expertflyer or another Skyteam site, then you call Delta and ask them to book those?

Trying to book for next May now and DL.com of course isn't showing any AF awards to FCO for instance (ultimately want to get to PMO but apparently they don't offer awards all the way down to PMO).
Both Air France and Alitalia award inventory searches are supported by ExpertFlyer. CDG-FCO-PMO in coach is showing available on many dates in May 2011.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
SkyMiles award routings with segments operated by AF and AS are bookable on delta.com

The contention of this thread is that awards can be found - not that it's easy. For how many partners of AA can awards be booked online? US?
If they are bookable on DL.com (w/o phone fee), then why don't they show up in searches? Moreover, if I were to find space available according to Expert Flyer, but DL.com isn't showing those segments as available, then wouldn't I need to call anyway to have an agent do the booking?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by bmh3s
I booked MCI-MSP-NBO-ZNZ-NBO-CDG-DTW-MCI for 120K for 2 tix in J for November/December. Took a lot of searching airfrance.us and expertflyer.com, but got the days I wanted.
That is one nice itinerary. I am looking for exactly the same for next May from Denver. Wondering if my South American itinerary is better or should I aim for the above mentioned one?

Did you have to create a login in Airfrance.us to get to check their award space inventory?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:24 pm

Help understading Expert Flyer

Just signed up for Expert Flyer. I am new and need some help. When looking for the business class award tickets, what code I am looking for. Is it code G? I see the following message:

First - Domestic upgrades using Miles or PMU/SWU certs

under the available class. Does that mean there is first class available?

Thanks.

CR
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by carlosr
Just signed up for Expert Flyer. I am new and need some help. When looking for the business class award tickets, what code I am looking for. Is it code G? I see the following message:

Thanks.

CR
EF doesn't have the capability to search for award tickets on DL. If you were looking to upgrade from an eligible coach fare class with miles or with a SWU certificate, then you are looking for G/Z availability.

This page has a lot of useful information:

http://www.expertflyer.com/new-to-expertflyer
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Noobie here...followed the directions from the OP while looking for a JFK-CDG flight in November. Successfully found 100k J flights on dates that work, all stopping in Madrid.

Upon thinking about it, I said well why not just do a Madrid flight (this is leisure for me and the girlfriend so we're looking at multiple options). When I priced out the direct JFK-MAD flight on same day as originally priced JFK-MAD-CDG flight, it's only listed at 90k and not showing J.

How would I go about getting the JFK-MAD trip for 100k J?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:42 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by trek87
EF doesn't have the capability to search for award tickets on DL.

Please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes for a complete list of DL award booking classes, all of which are supported via the KVS Tool.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:47 pm

Thanks.

CR
That is an upgrade class, not an award one. To get a full picture of the Delta Award+Upgrade classes use Delta.com (for awards) in combination with ExpertFlyer (the only online source for DL upgrade classes).
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 5MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Is ATL-PPT-SYD-ATL ever possible w/ Low Mileage in BE

I have been searching for a low mileage award ticket (2 people) in BE from ATL-PPT-SYD-ATL for the last 6 months. It seems there is no way to get from PPT to SYD so I am looking for ATL to PPT and SYD - ATL.

I've tried KVS , Delta.com and absolutely no luck, we don't care which way we get routed and want to leave mid October and come back 3 weeks later.

If anyone can give any suggestions or knows of anything it would be incredibly appreciated.

Delta.com only shows medium level awards for BE no matter what I try.

Filip
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:15 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by smessaert
I have been searching for a low mileage award ticket (2 people) in BE from ATL-PPT-SYD-ATL for the last 6 months. It seems there is no way to get from PPT to SYD so I am looking for ATL to PPT and SYD - ATL.

I've tried KVS , Delta.com and absolutely no luck, we don't care which way we get routed and want to leave mid October and come back 3 weeks later.

If anyone can give any suggestions or knows of anything it would be incredibly appreciated.

Delta.com only shows medium level awards for BE no matter what I try.

Filip
Well, there is 1 C award seat on the 26th, but that's about it:

[KVS Availability Tool 5.5.0/Diamond - DLM: Awards/SkyTeam]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Int'l CA US [KLAX]
PPT  Papeete Faaa PF
TUE  26 Oct 2010 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AF/TN      676     LAX   23:55     PPT   05:15 +1  340  0   CS+
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Need some help. Been trying to search for SFO-MAD from first half of Aug 2010 to the second half of September 2010 (Eg 8/9/10-9/9/10). Unable to find anything less than 190K miles. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
just booked a pair of award tickets like this. At least a pair more are available as of July 11, 2010, each cost 120,000 miles + 260 uSD for tax.

Washington-Dulles, DC (IAD) to Paris-De Gaulle, France (CDG) on 26 Dec 2010
9:55pm
IAD 11:15am
CDG

Arrives 27 Dec
Nonstop
7 hr 20 min
Air France 27
Boeing 777-200
In-Flight Services Business
Paris-De Gaulle, France (CDG) to Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB) on 30 Dec 2010
11:20pm
CDG 10:45am
JNB

Arrives 31 Dec
Nonstop
10 hr 25 min
Air France 990
St Denis De La Reunion, Reunion (RUN) to Paris-Orly, France (ORY) on 08 Jan 2011
10:10am
RUN 6:30pm
ORY
Nonstop
11 hr 20 min
Air France 3519
Boeing 777
Paris-De Gaulle, France (CDG) to Washington-Dulles, DC (IAD) on 09 Jan 2011
4:40pm
CDG 7:05pm
IAD
Nonstop
8 hr 25 min
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Sigh. Spent hours looking at possibilities, finally found good flights at 100k. Get my hopes up. .bom won't ticket, though, giving error saying seat no longer available, try again.

Try again and it shows the same avail, but again won't ticket. Go around four times.

So I call. Agent says she sees same thing, but also can't make it work -- even though the transatlantic leg shows up, it's not really there. She tries for a while, then says I'm SOL, but she will report the computer error to IT.

That sure helps!

Best in class! If the class consists of Delta and Air Koryo.

Edited to add: 24 hours later, same thing - I see space, agent sees space, but it's not actually available.

Last edited by Alpha Golf; Jul 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.