Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That is a huge amount of taxes. I have a PHX-SEA-ICN-CGK-HKG-ICN-SEA-PHX trip that I booked this year, and I'm pretty sure the taxes were under $100.

You're getting hit with YQ or IOS. Maybe from the MH flights. I'd try to fly to SIN or BKK. And then take cheap flight to KUL.

Originally Posted by beofotch
Update 3

Aug 27
CLT - MSP - LAX - TPE - KUL (Destination) on Delta and Malaysian

Sept 2
KUL - PVG (Stopover) on Malaysian (with an overnight in KUL)

Sept 9
PVG - JFK - ATL - CLT on China Eastern and Delta (JFK - ATL in coach; overnight in JFK).

They would not let me fly all the way to LGK without charging me for 2 awards because they said LGK was not a "Published Delta Destination" and consequently I would have to start a 2nd award for 40,000 in J if I wanted LGK as a final destination. This got escalated to many agents and even customer service but they wouldn't budge. So finally I was able to score the above itinerary. I will work out LGK (or any other destination) in another ticket. Total taxes down to $436.40.

Fare Details: CLT DL X/MSP DL X/LAX MH KUL M0.00CSM600/FT240 MH SHA MU X/NYC
DL X/ATL DL CLT M0.00CSM600/FT240 NUC0.00END ROE0
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by the scribbler
Not sure if this is in the thread already, but noticed this morning that AF flights US-CDG only show up as options if both parts of a round trip are available in the low catagory (100K).

In other words, searching JFK-FCO-JFK would hide available AF flights if both directions were not available in low. In other words, assuming that AF was available FCO-CDG-JFK, but not JFK-CDG-FCO, then FCO-CDG-JFK will not turn up as an option and instead you will get 200K+ options on DL metal when in reality one leg is available at 50K.
Hence the advice in post #1 to search for one way awards in each direction and then combine them.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American, Jet Blue, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by RobertH
I have no problem finding availability on Privatair. For example IAH -> AMS on Dec 14 with return on Dec 18. I used Air France's US site to find availability (yes you have to be a Flying Blue member to search award availability - but that's no big deal) from IAH to AMS and back and looked for KLM flight numbers 663/664 at the classic - not "flex" - business level. I then went to delta.com and searched for business class award availability from IAH -> AMS and back (for the dates I found at airfrance.com) making SURE to check the "search by schedule" button.

- Bob
Thanks for the "search by schedule" tip. It worked for me on a JFK-VCE flight for this summer on Air France flights. I'd been looking for a low tier for a couple of months and had no luck until I searched by schedule.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
STUPID question time.... How far in advance can one check for available award flights? Is it the same time frame as being able to book paid flights? Looking to go to Australia next October.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by gsupstate
STUPID question time.... How far in advance can one check for available award flights? Is it the same time frame as being able to book paid flights? Looking to go to Australia next October.
Award travel can be booked up to 331 days before departure:

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...tips/index.jsp

The same window applies to paid tickets.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:45 pm

Having read all 15 pages of this thread, it's comforting to know that I wasn't the only one struggling massively to find any AF/KL flights by using the Delta search.

Trying to do LON-NRT for any date in the next 6 months, but choosing LHR or LGW will force you on a DL flight via the US (i.e. LHR-DTW-NRT for an astonishing number of miles+taxes). Same results even if you try to build an itinerary piece-by-piece as the OP states.

Interesting to note that LCY-NRT is perfectly fine because it's not served by DL - plenty of 120k r/t biz class flights available on AF* on virtually any day without having to jump through any hoops.

It's a bit demoralizing that DL has seemingly chosen to systematically remove all partner airline tickets for EU originating flights for airports that DL themselves serve.

Will trying to work things out over the phone yield better results? I have approx 130,000 miles left and looking forward to cleaning them out and starting from scratch w/another alliance.

*Caveat is that it includes a ORY-CDG transfer
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Partner Airlines - Redemption, Not Earning

Am I interpreting the screens on delta.com correctly in saying that from the huge list of airlines listed as SM partners (except I guess for ST alliance partners), one can only earn miles? When I search "airline partner redemption" within delta.com, it lists only Thai Air Asia and Jet Star. Is that correct?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Am I interpreting the screens on delta.com correctly in saying that from the huge list of airlines listed as SM partners (except I guess for ST alliance partners), one can only earn miles?
It is not correct. There are numerous airlines available for award redemption other than SkyTeam airlines. However, only Delta-operated flights will typically be shown with the calendar date search. Only DL, AF, KL, HI and AS are bookable online.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It is not correct. There are numerous airlines available for award redemption other than SkyTeam airlines. However, only Delta-operated flights will typically be shown with the calendar date search. Only DL, AF, KL, HI and AS are bookable online.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp
We're thinking of flying V Australia on one or both legs to/from SYD. How does one tell which airlines are available for redemption? When looking at the list of partner airlines, that's not immediately apparent (to me anyway).
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We're thinking of flying V Australia on one or both legs to/from SYD. How does one tell which airlines are available for redemption? When looking at the list of partner airlines, that's not immediately apparent (to me anyway).
They are all available for redemption, although zone/routing rules will make some more advantageus than others.

Delta/Multi-airline Awards
To view the miles needed for Award Travel on the airlines below, see SkyMiles Award Mileage Chart.

Delta
Aeroflot
Aeromexico
AirEuropa
Air France
Air Tahiti Nui
Alaska Airlines
Alitalia
Avianca
China Airlines
China Eastern
China Southern
CSA Czech Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
V Australia Airlines
Jet Airways
Kenya Airways
Kingfisher Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Korean Air
Malaysia Airlines
Tarom Airlines

There have been a few threads on V Australia award redemptions specifically.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They are all available for redemption, although zone/routing rules will make some more advantageus than others.

Delta/Multi-airline Awards
To view the miles needed for Award Travel on the airlines below, see SkyMiles Award Mileage Chart.

Delta
Aeroflot
Aeromexico
AirEuropa
Air France
Air Tahiti Nui
Alaska Airlines
Alitalia
Avianca
China Airlines
China Eastern
China Southern
CSA Czech Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
V Australia Airlines
Jet Airways
Kenya Airways
Kingfisher Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Korean Air
Malaysia Airlines
Tarom Airlines

There have been a few threads on V Australia award redemptions specifically.
Thanks! ^
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Asia in J is practically impossible, esp far out. Just look at PVG-NRT, anything from March-next Oct is all med/high. I have yet to even put in NRT-mainland US.

I'd focus on partners, if you want China focus on CZ, MU, CI, KE. They are at least all low.

If you can find DL, congrats to you. I've been looking for about 12 months now and still have yet to book a low in J PVG-US since I haven't found something to work yet. And yes I am more than "flexible".
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Asia in J is practically impossible, esp far out. Just look at PVG-NRT, anything from March-next Oct is all med/high. I have yet to even put in NRT-mainland US.

I'd focus on partners, if you want China focus on CZ, MU, CI, KE. They are at least all low.

If you can find DL, congrats to you. I've been looking for about 12 months now and still have yet to book a low in J PVG-US since I haven't found something to work yet. And yes I am more than "flexible".
Does anybody know if you can go JFK-NRT via CDG on AF using standard "low" Asia award? Seems to have plenty of availability
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Does anybody know if you can go JFK-NRT via CDG on AF using standard "low" Asia award? Seems to have plenty of availability
I was under the impression that you cannot go to Asia via Europe. And as much as I like J, I'm not looking for ways to extend the time of travel. If DL's best low availability in J to Asia is on AF via CDG, that is pathetic...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:54 pm

I'm new to this. Some of the "insider speak" is beyond me. Am I supposed to start searching in award ticket? If I do, I can't choose a fare class. It just gives me the option of coach or First/Business. Or am I suppose to be searching in pay with miles? I assume that when you speak of "J" you mean the fare class. When I try and do a one way search for SLC to FCO I get a message that there are no flights scheduled. If I split to SLC-DTW / DTW-FCO then options come up.
Can I get some more detailed instructions on how to do these reward ticket searches. (Beginners Version)
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.