Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by dmoss
I'm new to this. Some of the "insider speak" is beyond me. Am I supposed to start searching in award ticket? If I do, I can't choose a fare class. It just gives me the option of coach or First/Business. Or am I suppose to be searching in pay with miles? I assume that when you speak of "J" you mean the fare class. When I try and do a one way search for SLC to FCO I get a message that there are no flights scheduled. If I split to SLC-DTW / DTW-FCO then options come up.
Can I get some more detailed instructions on how to do these reward ticket searches. (Beginners Version)
Thanks!
Sure thing. J and Y are not fare class specific, but relate to the cabin. J refers to the Business Class Cabin and Y to coach. So... search for "J" = search for business. Search for "Y" = search for coach.

Hope this helps...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:23 pm

OK. I've got the Y and J down. Am I suppose to start searching for one way via the "Award Ticket Reservations" window? Or is there some other search that shows the flight options and associated miles required.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: delta; DM, 1MM
I just booked DTW to PVG Today, 3 days out in J (leave saturday) for 120K R/t.

It took all of 60 seconds online, ICN was the same. No need to connect if you can go direct
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta PM, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Sure thing. J and Y are not fare class specific, but relate to the cabin. J refers to the Business Class Cabin and Y to coach. So... search for "J" = search for business. Search for "Y" = search for coach.

Hope this helps...
I'm having the same issue as dmoss... When checking 'Book Award Ticket', the fare classes dropdown is replaced by a simple dropdown that only includes 'First/Business' and 'Coach' as options.

Is this new? I could have sworn a week ago I was able to search award tickets by class.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:38 am

brennandunn, If you only get the two choices in one box the first time at the award travel front page, go ahead and start to book some flights and then click on "start over" at any point and when it sends you back to the front page you should see both the "coach/business-first" options plus a separate box that includes the specific fare classes. No idea why it's set up like that but that's how it always seems to work with me. Give it a shot.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just an FYI that if you are looking for low level business class on DL to Asia, there is very good availability on the new LAX-HND (and v.v.) route for March, decent in April as well. As many as FOUR seats on some days. This seems to be true of many HND flights on other carriers too (probably because they are newly added). Book now...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Things are changing at the DL award site....
Not sure what all has changed, but there are changes.
Could be good. Could be bad.

(I know, not a very helpful post. You'll have to go see for yourself)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:30 pm

Just really wanted to say Thank you, thank You, Denolloyd!!!!

These tips were amazing. Much easier to find low awards tickets by doing the one-way thing first.

Originally Posted by stephem
Just an FYI that if you are looking for low level business class on DL to Asia, there is very good availability on the new LAX-HND (and v.v.) route for March, decent in April as well. As many as FOUR seats on some days. This seems to be true of many HND flights on other carriers too (probably because they are newly added). Book now...
Thanks also to stephem for this tip. This brought me to look for flights SEA-PEK & just got 2 coach RT for non stop flights at the 60000 award level for April. With the recent promo between DL & AMEX this only cost us 40000 MR/each.

This will leave us plenty of miles for our Italy trip in 2012.

Sending big hugs to all who share tips on this forum.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by airmotive
Things are changing at the DL award site....
Not sure what all has changed, but there are changes.
Could be good. Could be bad.

(I know, not a very helpful post. You'll have to go see for yourself)
Looks the same as it has the past few weeks. What are you insinuating?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy Good God!!

This is complicated! I am convinced that Star Alliance is the place for me. I was trying to use up some miles I had left from NWA. I used to go from ICN to Guam, or ICN-KUL-SE Asia in Business for 30,000 miles round trip, and it was soooooo easy to make the award reservation online or with a NWA rep! Of course, I realize that mileage requirements do go up, but why make it sooooo much harder to book the award?

I've been playing with Delta's site for a couple of hours. One way, ICN-GUM (via NRT) is 225,000 miles!!! YES, i know i'm doing something wrong, but why oh why do they make it so complicated to figure it all out?! I can't even find an award chart that shows intra-Asia mileage requirements on the Delta site (can anybody post a link if there is one?).

I don't want available dates or anything, but I'm wondering (mostly for nostalgic curiousity) what a low-level inter Asia J award ticket would go for now.

I consider myself an aviation buff, and don't mind searching for flights/looking for best routes/etc., but Delta is insane. How can they think this system is good for customers?!? I can't imagine somebody 'green' trying to figure out a simple award flight. Lawwwd!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paella747
I don't want available dates or anything, but I'm wondering (mostly for nostalgic curiousity) what a low-level inter Asia J award ticket would go for now.
40K. NWA days of 30K in J are sadly gone. *A is still 30K AFAIK.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by upgrader
brennandunn, If you only get the two choices in one box the first time at the award travel front page, go ahead and start to book some flights and then click on "start over" at any point and when it sends you back to the front page you should see both the "coach/business-first" options plus a separate box that includes the specific fare classes. No idea why it's set up like that but that's how it always seems to work with me. Give it a shot.
I just tried this - but I didn't get two boxes. I only see one called "Cabin" with Economy or First/Business.

Did this change recently?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
40K. NWA days of 30K in J are sadly gone. *A is still 30K AFAIK.
*A North Asia - North Asia is 40K in J; South Asia - South Asia is 30K.

http://www.united.com/ual/asset/RT_s...art_021110.pdf

Effective 1/3 2011, the Miles & More award in J SE Asia - SE Asia is 55K.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
*A North Asia - North Asia is 40K in J; South Asia - South Asia is 30K.
Thank you for the info!

Also, in for UA (Star Alliance), North Asia to South Asia is 30,000 in J as well. Great deal, and my flights from Seoul to SE Asia seem to always be available for the dates I want, whether on Asiana, Thai, or Singapore Air.

And as for the North Asia to North Asia J awards being 40,000, they sometimes forget this, as I secured a J award from ICN to Saipan for 30,000 last month, and UA considers them both N.Asia.

Sorry to be off topic, and sorry about my rant above!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - Platinum Medallion, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*
MSP-PVG/NRT-MSP help

Hey all - looking for some guidance on a trip I am planning for June 2011.

I will be meeting my companion in PVG. Need to arrive before June 7th. Willing to arrive up to a week early if necessary.

We will be arriving back to MSP together from NRT end of June (ideally around 22nd-25th, but somewhat flexible).

Ideally would like all 3 legs (2 of mine + 1) to be in Business/First. Lowest miles possible.

A few questions:

-We were planning to travel from PVG to either Hong Kong or Singapore and then from there to NRT. Could these be included in the itinerary for cheap? We were originally just going to book those separately through the airlines over there and pay for those. But if they can be easily included, I would definitely prefer this.

-First question aside, is it better if I book myself MSP-PVG/NRT-MSP and then book NRT-MSP for partner vs 1x MSP-PVG and 2x NRT-MSP? Basic searching using the calendar shows the first being 180k+120k vs 120k+240k using 6/1 and 6/22 as dates. Seems kinda high either way.

-Is now a good time to book? Should I wait a couple more months?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have accumulated a fairshare of SM and finally trying to put them to use. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.