Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SPLP007
can not buy a ticket either on line none-stop -- called deltatold me jfk-ath does not fly from oct 27 thru march 26 none stop -- hard to believe !
Darn Greeks. They have destroyed another airline
Old May 4, 2012, 2:58 pm

I'm looking to book a trip to Asia next year and want to visit Tokyo and another city, say in China or Thailand. I'd prefer to book on an Asian carrier but thought I'd see what Delta had available first. My alternative is to use OW partners using Avios with the current 50% Amex-> BA promo.

On delta.com. the calendar shows plenty of availability for most segments in March and I had no trouble getting JFK-NRT-PVG/PEK-NRT-JFK at 120k on the first try. But for whatever reason, when I try BKK, delta.com craps out on the last segment (NRT-JFK) even though it is obviously available. For now I decided to put the PEK itinerary on a hold ($85 in fees). Any idea what could be going on?
Old May 4, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I'm looking to book a trip to Asia next year and want to visit Tokyo and another city, say in China or Thailand. I'd prefer to book on an Asian carrier but thought I'd see what Delta had available first. My alternative is to use OW partners using Avios with the current 50% Amex-> BA promo.

On delta.com. the calendar shows plenty of availability for most segments in March and I had no trouble getting JFK-NRT-PVG/PEK-NRT-JFK at 120k on the first try. But for whatever reason, when I try BKK, delta.com craps out on the last segment (NRT-JFK) even though it is obviously available. For now I decided to put the PEK itinerary on a hold ($85 in fees). Any idea what could be going on?
Simple, you know there's space, and you have an itinerary on hold Call up Delta, get them to make the changes and leave the award on hold. Go back online, and ticket, thus avoiding the fee. While you're there ask them to look into availability on Korean
Old May 5, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just booked 2013 Chinese New Year trip BOS-DTW-PVG for 120K miles.

Surprised to see BE awards available on DTW-PVG 777 nonstop.

However, BOS-DTW is in Y.

Is there anyway to waitlist for domestic F?

If saver F award becomes available, can I change from Y to F?

Any charge?
Old May 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by kb1992
Just booked 2013 Chinese New Year trip BOS-DTW-PVG for 120K miles.

Surprised to see BE awards available on DTW-PVG 777 nonstop.

However, BOS-DTW is in Y.

Is there anyway to waitlist for domestic F?

If saver F award becomes available, can I change from Y to F?

Any charge?
Only way to change Y to F is by paying the $150 change fee (waived for PM and DM). No waitlisting.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:32 pm
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Do this over and over until you find a 100,000 mile one way routing. Generally, it will be Business / First seats within your coach search.
I found a 100,000 IAD-ATL-CDG one-way routing for 100,000. (and many others...but I'll use this as an example). In the search results, it says coach for 100,000. I select it and go all the way through booking and it still says coach (this happened for all of the dozen routings I tried).

When does it show up as business? Do I need to call?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by AirspaceOnFT
I found a 100,000 IAD-ATL-CDG one-way routing for 100,000. (and many others...but I'll use this as an example). In the search results, it says coach for 100,000. I select it and go all the way through booking and it still says coach (this happened for all of the dozen routings I tried).

When does it show up as business? Do I need to call?
If the searches say Coach and any flights are on Delta, then then the engine is probably pricing you at the mid or high award level for Coach, and doing it wrong at that. It's quite possible that it's charging you Medium coach domestic (20K) plus a Low coach europe flight (30K), for a total of 50K per direction, and since one-ways are priced the same as a round trip, you're being charged 100K + fees.

You should try and build your itinerary piecewise (look for low space on each individual leg and put them together with the Multi-City search) or call in and ask for help, and pay the $25 booking fee.

You can evade the fee by putting any itinerary on hold and then calling in, asking the agent to replace the flights with the Low level space and leaving it on hold. You can then go back online and complete your booking.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Simple, you know there's space, and you have an itinerary on hold Call up Delta, get them to make the changes and leave the award on hold. Go back online, and ticket, thus avoiding the fee. While you're there ask them to look into availability on Korean
Thanks. I eventually managed to get the itinerary to BKK online but only have it on hold. I should make PM this year but am not there yet and want to explore other options.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Does Jun1-Jun 19 fall under Korean Air Blackout dates?

- naroowal
Old May 7, 2012, 5:32 pm

So I'm looking into my options for NRT-BKK. Like the DL flight to SIN, it arrives around midnight and the return leaves around 6AM. Using the skyteam app on my iPad I see that CI, CZ, MU, VN and KE also fly this route but not direct. Just in terms of flight arrival and departure times, VN (A330/A321) and CI (both legs A330-300) look to be the best. Other than that, how do their J products compare?
Old May 7, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by naroowal
- naroowal
Yes. Please search first. A search for '"KE" blackout' (no single quotes, double quotes used to get around the short string length filter) returns this thread.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:16 am
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Originally Posted by arcticbull
If the searches say Coach and any flights are on Delta, then then the engine is probably pricing you at the mid or high award level for Coach, and doing it wrong at that. It's quite possible that it's charging you Medium coach domestic (20K) plus a Low coach europe flight (30K), for a total of 50K per direction, and since one-ways are priced the same as a round trip, you're being charged 100K + fees.

You should try and build your itinerary piecewise (look for low space on each individual leg and put them together with the Multi-City search) or call in and ask for help, and pay the $25 booking fee.

You can evade the fee by putting any itinerary on hold and then calling in, asking the agent to replace the flights with the Low level space and leaving it on hold. You can then go back online and complete your booking.
Thanks...
Old May 8, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Just wanted to share a success story...albeit one that took a lot of time and energy. I was trying to fly into AMS and out of BRU for a trip in late May. I tried several times to find 100K, low, business elite flights but I kept getting errors or exorbitantly priced tickets anywhere from 212K to 370K miles!!! I am PM, so I called the Plat line several times and the agents were generally unable to help, saying some of the inventory was blocked on a KLM segment of a flight.

Long story shorter, thanks to FT and the comments here, I was finally able to find award space by being really flexible with dates and times, and pricing everything out separately on the multi-city trip tab. After a few hours (seriously), I was able to book a trip to AMS, with a 1 day stopover in Stockholm and fly out of BRU on the return back to the states for 100K miles. Just wanted to thank the FT community for all the comments in this thread that were invaluable to my booking success.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
Flying DTW BKK Dec 22-Jan 4

The people here have always been great in helping me with my problems.
Here's hoping you can help me out (again)
My wife myself and my 2 kids would like to go to Thailand from Dec 22 -Jan 4 this year. Is our 40th anniversary so I thought I would treat everyone to a trip in 1st
When I checked with Delta the only way we can go to Thailand with Delta on those dates will cost me 480,000 points.
Not cheap!
I tried to look at Korean Air as an alternative (we can fly out of ORD, if needed) but I think their seats are blacked out during those times
We can delay the trip by a day or two but we need to return by the 4th.
You guys are pretty amazing
Can you help?
Thanks

Jigger
Old May 8, 2012, 7:30 pm

Try flying CI/CZ/MU if you are having trouble finding low availability, but 480K sounds right for 4 pax in J from US to Asia in Low...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.