FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   HSBC Premier World MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/709255-hsbc-premier-world-mastercard.html)

nall Aug 16, 2013 1:15 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr (Post 21279159)
The HSBC premier credit card in the US can have points converted to Avois fyi.
Cheers
Howie

What's the effective earn?

I googled it but the site I got was pretty vague on rewards details.

TravelinSperry Aug 16, 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by nall (Post 21282581)
What's the effective earn?

I googled it but the site I got was pretty vague on rewards details.

1 to 1

nall Aug 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 21284027)
1 to 1

And you only get 1 point per dollar spent, right?

TravelinSperry Aug 17, 2013 12:18 am

Originally Posted by nall (Post 21287133)
And you only get 1 point per dollar spent, right?

Yes, although they offer spend bonuses sometimes (rarely, but they do happen). There is also a min transfer amount (I think it's 10,000 points to Avios) before they'll transfer. I can't check because HSBC appears to be down at the moment.

There is a better redemption oppty for your points, they offer airline credits towards a flight. I believe for 24,000 points you get $400. You can book any flight as long as they can find the fare (I've used it multiple times and they seem able to find the same fare I can via Kayak, Orbitz, etc).

duwi Aug 17, 2013 3:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 21287840)
Yes, although they offer spend bonuses sometimes (rarely, but they do happen). There is also a min transfer amount (I think it's 10,000 points to Avios) before they'll transfer. I can't check because HSBC appears to be down at the moment.

There is a better redemption oppty for your points, they offer airline credits towards a flight. I believe for 24,000 points you get $400. You can book any flight as long as they can find the fare (I've used it multiple times and they seem able to find the same fare I can via Kayak, Orbitz, etc).

Do you know which one better/use less points:
Transfer points to avios/krisflyer and then redeem award ticket
or
Redeem airline credit.

TravelinSperry Aug 17, 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by duwi (Post 21288160)
Do you know which one better/use less points:
Transfer points to avios/krisflyer and then redeem award ticket
or
Redeem airline credit.

The HSBC website is working again, so I checked details. You can redeem any amount of points to Avios, there are no minimums. They say it takes up to 15 business days to complete the transfer.

In my opinion, unless you are topping up your account with BA to redeem for a free ticket (preferably business or first class), you should not redeem by using HSBC points for BA on a 1 to 1 basis. If they offer some deal where you get bonus for transferring, perhaps. So if you are solely looking at buying an economy class ticket and need to transfer a lot of miles to do it - you are better off redeeming for the $400 flight credit. It's a better redemption value (again, unless you are topping up to redeem for a free business or first class ticket).

mia Aug 18, 2013 4:46 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 21288587)
...unless you are topping up your account with BA to redeem for a free ticket (preferably business or first class), you should not redeem by using HSBC points for BA on a 1 to 1 basis.

:confused: Redeeming for domestic USA economy class tickets on flights operated by AA or AS is one of the very best uses for BA Avois points. See this recent discussion of a $420 AA ticket for 20,000 Avois:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...age-miles.html

TravelinSperry Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 21292269)
:confused: Redeeming for domestic USA economy class tickets on flights operated by AA or AS is one of the very best uses for BA Avois points. See this recent discussion of a $420 AA ticket for 20,000 Avois:

Good pont, I was thinking and referring solely to redemption on BA longhaul (across the pond). But I also read similar redemption possibilities solely on AA metal domestically (and on BA solely within Europe). If you are doing that sort of redemption, then that transfer would be better than $400 for 24,000 HSBC points, assuming of course that the flight you are redeeming for costs more than $333.

duwi Aug 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I received my new HSBC premier WMC last month. Credit Limit is $6,000. Is there any tips/tricks to increase the Credit limit? Is automatically adjusted based on our spending history ?

stockmanjr Aug 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 21294151)
Good pont, I was thinking and referring solely to redemption on BA longhaul (across the pond). But I also read similar redemption possibilities solely on AA metal domestically (and on BA solely within Europe). If you are doing that sort of redemption, then that transfer would be better than $400 for 24,000 HSBC points, assuming of course that the flight you are redeeming for costs more than $333.

9K Avios gets you a round-trip upto 600 miles which in the NYC market can be amazing value since frequently NYC-YUL can be $300! Also there's the BOS-DUB loophole where you can get a Y round-trip across the pond for 25k miles on EI.
Cheers
Howie

Stripy Aug 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 21292269)

True, but if you take the "$400" off option then you get elite miles and redeemable miles as well (on whatever flight you book) - at least I did on an AA ticket I bought.

edcli Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Received a 15K points bonus offer. wish every cc was like this one.

duwi Sep 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by edcli (Post 21503800)

Why only 15k. Not 20k ?

duwi Sep 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by edcli (Post 21503800)

Why only 15k. Not 20k ?

duwi Oct 1, 2013 3:43 pm

can we still transfer points from HSBC (USA) to Krisflyer?
I can not find 'Krisflyer' on the new HSBC (USA) rewards web site .
I was still there last week.