FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   HSBC Premier World MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/709255-hsbc-premier-world-mastercard.html)

pueywei Apr 5, 2009 6:29 pm

I believe this card in its current form was launched around June of 07.

It's a good card for non-US spending, and the customer service has been excellent. They seem to have a dedicated call center for premier customers based out of Buffalo, and it probably would take a customer longer to navigate their phone IVR system than to get connected to a rep. Usually.

The premier checking product is pretty nice as well. Low rate (below .5% ?), but very few fees. Free returned cheques, free bank cheques, but no free TT though.

STAM4NICK Apr 6, 2009 4:49 pm

That is good to know on the customer service. I can't say the same for the Saks World Elite MasterCard -- also servicd by HSBC and issued by HSBC

BearX220 Apr 30, 2009 9:35 am

HSBC Cash or Fly Rewards Card - Opinions?

New wrinkle -- I've had a pitch for the HSBC Cash or Fly Rewards Mastercard. It's outwardly attractive because you can earn points which turn into cash credits toward any airline ticket, or just take a cash rebate, and it seems much more flexible (ironically) than the new FlexPerks program from US Bank. But I can't tell if the points expire. There's some ominous fine print in the offer: "There is no annual limit on the amount of points that can be accumulated or redeemed in an Account Year (12-month period)." Think that means the points evaporate at the 12-month mark?

icbkcnbjicc Apr 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by pueywei (Post 11533078)
I believe this card in its current form was launched around June of 07.

It's a good card for non-US spending, and the customer service has been excellent. They seem to have a dedicated call center for premier customers based out of Buffalo, and it probably would take a customer longer to navigate their phone IVR system than to get connected to a rep. Usually.

The premier checking product is pretty nice as well. Low rate (below .5% ?), but very few fees. Free returned cheques, free bank cheques, but no free TT though.

I like the HSBC Global transfer and view services.
You can view all your global accounts together and transfer available instantly 24X7 hrs.

But you must remain similar 100,000 US dollar in one HSBC.:(

SJUflyer May 1, 2009 8:35 pm

Does anyone know what the burn rate is for their rewards program when it comes to getting airline tickets? Is it based on what the paid fare would otherwise be, or do they have set awards, say Business Class to Europe from the US is XXX points? If there is a link to a website that gives better details, other than 1 point for every Dollar, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

statuecollector May 3, 2009 12:04 pm

In Hong Kong you need One Million Hong Kong dollars to open the HSBC Premier Account. 100,000 US is around 780,000 Hong Kong Dollars....

berlitz Dec 3, 2009 6:27 am

As HSBC Premier Mastercard has no foreign exchange fee and I have a US HSBC issued one, I'm wondering whether I need to get a HK HSBC Premier Mastercard? I visited families in HK once or twice a year, and may sign for bills there.

So which one is better, use one single US HSBC card or two cards?

Zarf4 Dec 3, 2009 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by berlitz (Post 12917764)
So which one is better, use one single US HSBC card or two cards?

I maintain HSBC accounts in several countries and always request a local credit card since it's sometimes difficult to make an online purchase in another country without having a local address. It also can help sidestep the farkin' dynamic currency exchange that some merchants try to slip through. Yes I know they are supposed to ask you but a lot don't. Usually goes something like:

"I noticed you charged me in US dollars on my Schwab Visa, I'd prefer to pay in local $"
"Oh, I don't know how to do that, I'll call the owner & (s)he'll be here in 30 min"
"Fine, just cancel the transaction and bill it to my local HSBC card"

Loses the cashback but saves some sanity.

adix Jan 7, 2010 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis (Post 8976515)
Yes, the Home and Away program link takes you to the HK (home) HSBC site. HSBC seems to have the most discounts/deals in HK anyway.

On one of my many visits to HKG, I wound up at a bookstore buying a bunch of books. I gave them my HSBC MC to pay and wound up with 30% off because they were running a promo. Yay discount! ^

The big draw for me was the "no foreign transaction fee". So this and my Cap One card are the cards that go with me when I fly overseas...

On a semi-related note, HSBC Premier membership means that you can visit any of the lounges worldwide. Free coffee, newspapers and a place to relax during the day. And maybe get some leads on investments!

I have this card. I dont think you qualify for airport lounge access automatically.

elizaa Jan 7, 2010 11:49 pm

Great post........

abraxis Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by adix (Post 13133984)
I have this card. I dont think you qualify for airport lounge access automatically.

It's not airport lounges, it's the lounges that the HSBC Premier branches have (at least in Asia) with free coffee and refreshments, newspapers and magazines, comfortable chairs and business TV.

Guess I should have been more specific, sorry 'bout that.

hongkongtraveller Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis (Post 13187785)
It's not airport lounges, it's the lounges that the HSBC Premier branches have (at least in Asia) with free coffee and refreshments, newspapers and magazines, comfortable chairs and business TV.

Guess I should have been more specific, sorry 'bout that.

And in HK, the branches also have Wi-Fi which is a nice touch. I've sat in a branch for 2 hours once just surfing the net. :)

I have this card and use it for purchases in sundry currencies/USD even though I live in Canada. 1% cashback is half decent considering as I found that some Canadian cards charge a lot more than 2.5% for sundry currencies (like CZK, ZAR, KRW, TWD) and only paying the 0.25% to exchange CAD to USD is a much better deal, also considering I save on USD purchases.

VoxPop Mar 4, 2010 6:58 pm

Fairly Good Card

Comparing this to other cards I've been pleasantly surprised. It doesn't have the cachet of the AMEX Centurion (nor does it have the absurd fee) but I have noticed the following benefits:
* As mentioned, no fx fee
* Great customer service
* Easy to use internet interface between accounts
* Home/Away Program
* Free Tablet Plus Membership [very good for booking hotel]
* Access to HSBC lounges [no idea where all of these are located, found one few randomly earlier in the year at San Jose, Costa Rica airport]
* The Premier Taxi in NYC [yes I found/used it once, pretty funny]
* One off promotions, very nice AA one [concierge from curb to lounge]
* Did I mention no fee. [not renewing Centurion, a waste compared to Plat.]

Anyway, I'm not employed by HSBC in any manner, but I have had good experiences with them. Happy Travels......

skit53 Mar 5, 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by VoxPop (Post 13513780)
Comparing this to other cards I've been pleasantly surprised. It doesn't have the cachet of the AMEX Centurion (nor does it have the absurd fee) but I have noticed the following benefits:
* As mentioned, no fx fee
* Great customer service
* Easy to use internet interface between accounts
* Home/Away Program
* Free Tablet Plus Membership [very good for booking hotel]
* Access to HSBC lounges [no idea where all of these are located, found one few randomly earlier in the year at San Jose, Costa Rica airport]
* The Premier Taxi in NYC [yes I found/used it once, pretty funny]
* One off promotions, very nice AA one [concierge from curb to lounge]
* Did I mention no fee. [not renewing Centurion, a waste compared to Plat.]

Anyway, I'm not employed by HSBC in any manner, but I have had good experiences with them. Happy Travels......

What exactly is "The Premier Taxi in NYC" ?

abraxis Mar 5, 2010 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller (Post 13206609)
And in HK, the branches also have Wi-Fi which is a nice touch. I've sat in a branch for 2 hours once just surfing the net. :)

I have this card and use it for purchases in sundry currencies/USD even though I live in Canada. 1% cashback is half decent considering as I found that some Canadian cards charge a lot more than 2.5% for sundry currencies (like CZK, ZAR, KRW, TWD) and only paying the 0.25% to exchange CAD to USD is a much better deal, also considering I save on USD purchases.

Yeah, I forgot about the Wi-Fi when I posted! When you land HKG and exit into the arrivals hall, there's a HSBC Premier branch with comfy chairs, coffee and free Wi-Fi. Also there's ATMs and bankers too. :D