FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   HSBC Premier World MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/709255-hsbc-premier-world-mastercard.html)

pilot007 Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33481272)
My guess is not for nothing.

When I generate the list above, I have taken many considerations. The reason why San Bruno branch has to be closed is the residents' wealth nearby are rich on paper only. HSBC wants customers with actual wealth.

Daly City has a potential to be sold if not closed.

What about Palo Alto? Likely to keep it?

garykung Aug 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by pilot007 (Post 33481279)
What about Palo Alto? Likely to keep it?

Forgot about Palo Alto. (List updated as well.)

Palo Alto isn't attractive for HSBC. But Stanford University is (the students are not wealthy, but their parents are). And Stanford is a world-known institution like HSBC. I would say unknown (especially without internal data).

pilot007 Aug 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33481410)
Forgot about Palo Alto. (List updated as well.)

Palo Alto isn't attractive for HSBC. But Stanford University is (the students are not wealthy, but their parents are). And Stanford is a world-known institution like HSBC. I would say unknown (especially without internal data).

Palo Alto is my branch. Haven’t received anything in the mail about them closing yet. Palo Alto is a lot more than just Stanford. Tech / Facebook / VC / biotech / medicine. All concentrated nearby along with some of the wealthiest zip codes in the country.

garykung Aug 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by pilot007 (Post 33481423)
Palo Alto is my branch. Haven’t received anything in the mail about them closing yet. Palo Alto is a lot more than just Stanford. Tech / Facebook / VC / biotech / medicine. All concentrated nearby along with some of the wealthiest zip codes in the country.

Sorry but HSBC does not give a damn in this situation.

HSBC's intent is clear - to dump almost everyone except the wealthy. HSBC does not care if you are making 200k/yr or have a nice property (mortgaged or not). What HSBC cares is at least 75k hard cash (or securities) in the bank.

Beside as a racist way to put this, setting aside HSBC's background, HSBC is more like an Asian bank more than an European bank. Tech / Facebook / VC / biotech / medicine near Palo Alto dominates with White than Asian. And many of them are young. They would rather choose banks like Chase, Charles Schwab, and even Capital One (360), but not HSBC. In fact, for most people, they don't need a reason to choose Chase. But many have their own reasons to choose HSBC.

On the other hand, Stanford is attractive because of the wealthy parents worldwide. So even the children can't maintain 75k, their parents can, maybe more.

JHake10 Aug 11, 2021 10:49 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33481457)
What HSBC cares is at least 75k hard cash (or securities) in the bank.

[...]

On the other hand, Stanford is attractive because of the wealthy parents worldwide. So even the children can't maintain 75k, their parents can, maybe more.

I wonder if HSBC will change the requirements for opening a Premier account. I opened my account based on direct deposit and I will stay with HSBC based on everything they told me. However, as you mention having 5k/mo in direct deposit doesn't mean you're wealthy. I always assumed HSBC thought these were the folks they wanted to start a relationship with early on and hopefully it would turn into something more.

garykung Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 33482817)
I wonder if HSBC will change the requirements for opening a Premier account. I opened my account based on direct deposit and I will stay with HSBC based on everything they told me. However, as you mention having 5k/mo in direct deposit doesn't mean you're wealthy. I always assumed HSBC thought these were the folks they wanted to start a relationship with early on and hopefully it would turn into something more.

Here is the thing - regardless of comparability, the US big 4 does not offer direct deposit or mortgage as qualifier for top-tier accounts. Many smaller banks do not as well. I express no opinion whether these should be qualifiers. But if others are not offering, there is a reasonable doubt that this should continue or not.

Having 5k/mo in direct deposit doesn't mean you're wealthy, but only high income only. High income does not necessary mean revenue for banks.

I don't believe HSBC will do anything for now, given this would be pushing more customers away. But I believe that once the separation is complete, HSBC Premier will no longer allow direct deposit or mortgage as qualifier. But old accounts will be grandfathered.

bl540611 Aug 13, 2021 1:04 am

It seems like they're trying to turn themselves like a pseudo-First Republic bank, but instead of rich techies, we have affluent Asians? Seems like an interesting value proposition, but ditto on the execution :D

garykung Aug 13, 2021 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bl540611 (Post 33487286)
It seems like they're trying to turn themselves like a pseudo-First Republic bank, but instead of rich techies, we have affluent Asians? Seems like an interesting value proposition, but ditto on the execution :D

HSBC did mention previously that it is focusing on the Asian market. And even worse - HSBC dumped HSBC France for just 1 euro. So yes - if you believe HSBC is racist in favor of Asian, you get that part right.

SEA-Flyer Aug 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33488171)
HSBC did mention previously that it is focusing on the Asian market. And even worse - HSBC dumped HSBC France for just 1 euro. So yes - if you believe HSBC is racist in favor of Asian, you get that part right.

Hadn’t caught the news about the HSBC France sale. Bummer - I’m a Premier customer of both HSBC France and HSBC US. Having the connection between them was attractive.

garykung Nov 8, 2021 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33352113)
Here is my guess:

Keep - Montgomery(Confirmed Keep)/Millbrae/Fremont(Confirmed Closed)/Mountain View/Cupertino(Confirmed Closed)/San Jose Saratoga

Most likely sold/closed - SF Chinatown/Daly City/San Bruno (Confirmed Closed)/San Mateo/Oakland/Concord/Warm Spring/Vallco Parkway/Santa Clara/DT San Jose

Unknown - Folsom/Irving/Milpitas/Palo Alto

The news is out.

Other than Montgomery/Fremont/Cupertino, the rest of the SF Bay Area will be closed or converted to Cathay Bank branches.

Khabibul35 Nov 8, 2021 11:03 pm

Hmm, got the HSBC Premier Card and Premier checking I got about a year ago and think it's not worth keeping either with the changes. What's the best way to liquidate points?
Option 1: Not a fan of BA/Iberia Avios programs but I have enough to top off my partner's account for some upcoming awards, but do names of the account being transferred to have to match?
Option 2: Redeem for travel on HSBC - do you get a 25% bonus if you book through their portal or is it totally not worth it?
Option 3: Pay for rewards - do you get a 25% bonus if you redeem for a travel purchase or is it still 1:1?
Option 4: Gift cards/amazon points redemptions - seems these are 1:1 and probably the easiest, but I guess there's better value... or is there really not?

garykung Nov 9, 2021 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Khabibul35 (Post 33713526)
Hmm, got the HSBC Premier Card and Premier checking I got about a year ago and think it's not worth keeping either with the changes. What's the best way to liquidate points?

You should wait and see. For now, it is still an unknown how HSBC will deal with credit cards - sold to Cathay/Citizen or keep. Try to find out if you are the group of customers who will stay or leave first.

Khabibul35 Nov 14, 2021 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33714217)
You should wait and see. For now, it is still an unknown how HSBC will deal with credit cards - sold to Cathay/Citizen or keep. Try to find out if you are the group of customers who will stay or leave first.

Wouldn't it be safer to liquidate rewards first either way? And then keep/chuck the card based on what happens?

garykung Nov 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Khabibul35 (Post 33728707)
Wouldn't it be safer to liquidate rewards first either way?

Sure, if you feel so.

It seems that whether HSBC's decision to keep or sold all of your accounts is based on the your checking account exclusively. In my POV, your account should not be affected, i.e. you should be able to stay with HSBC.

Hence, there is no point doing anything.

Originally Posted by Khabibul35 (Post 33728707)
And then keep/chuck the card based on what happens?

HSBC Premier Credit Card is not a chuck card. It is a relationship credit card, which practically every creditworthy Premier customer gets one. Playing around this card can severe damage your banking relationship with HSBC.

JHake10 Nov 23, 2021 11:55 am

I have the HSBC World Elite card which I'm considering canceling. With the latest update you need to book through the portal to get any type of credit back. However, it's my only non AMEX card currently. I guess I can apply for the World card. If only HSBC can support a PC.