Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
One can already get ~10% off at Expedia using cashback - but if this 10% off is in combination with that it would prove powerful.

However, I'm guessing it will require bookings via a unique link like the 5% off HSBC cardholders worldwide get from HSBC at Agoda: https://www.homeandaway.hsbc.com/1/2...r/tl/agoda/all

The extra 5% off for Canadian cardholders over the standard 5% is decent because the standard is below the usual ~6% cashback.
Just checked hotel rates for December 2017 using the special Expedia HSBC links. It was about 6.4% cheaper than booking through the "regular" Expedia site for the same hotel.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The UK Premier Credit Card seems to already use the new artwork, and the Contactless symbol is on the front. Our UK cards are older, and don't have the contactless feature, though the debit cards do.

Although the American version of the credit card does have contactless, ironically, even when contactless acceptance here is much lower compared to the UK.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tyler2017
Although the American version of the credit card does have contactless, ironically, even when contactless acceptance here is much lower compared to the UK.
Probably not ironic. HSBC has a much larger presence elsewhere and it's likely less money/hassle to just use the same card stock (albeit with a different design) than to come up with a US-specific version that explicitly disables contactless payment.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:40 pm

Update: Upon searching the HSBC U.S. website, it seems that their offered credit cards have no contactless support. Only their debit cards have contactless. I am wondering if my version of the credit card just happens to be one of the rare few that supports it (as a pilot/trial program?).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: Upon searching the HSBC U.S. website, it seems that their offered credit cards have no contactless support. Only their debit cards have contactless. I am wondering if my version of the credit card just happens to be one of the rare few that supports it (as a pilot/trial program?).
Check out this brochure that's linked from here:

Contactless Payment Feature
which allows you to simply tap your card on a special payment reader at checkout to complete many smaller purchases
While it is possible that they just haven't updated that page yet, that seems pretty unlikely to me.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...offered credit cards have no contactless support.
Suggest you scroll back to about post 385 and read forward. The website artwork no longer displays a contactless symbol on the front, but the cards they actually ship still have it. Don't think we yet have a report from anyone who has received a new style card to know if this is an error or a change.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Just checked hotel rates for December 2017 using the special Expedia HSBC links. It was about 6.4% cheaper than booking through the "regular" Expedia site for the same hotel.
Bummer. I hate when sites do this. They attempt to provide a benefit - but then hide it by making us use a special link - which of course is generally more expensive than not using it. A sham.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Bummer. I hate when sites do this. They attempt to provide a benefit - but then hide it by making us use a special link - which of course is generally more expensive than not using it. A sham.
Not only have to use a special link, you need to enter the first 6 digits of your HSBC Premier MasterCard to access the site.

In my case, the rate was 6.4% cheaper, not quite the 10% discount boasted.

The Boingo Wi-fi is a good benefit.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:39 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mia
Existing cards have it, but the website is displaying a "new card design" which doesn't have the symbol on front. Could be on the reverse, of course.
...and it is. I received a replacement card today, in the new style. No Contactless logo on front, but it in on the reverse adjacent to the signature strip.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
...and it is. I received a replacement card today, in the new style. No Contactless logo on front, but it in on the reverse adjacent to the signature strip.
Is there any particular reason why issuers in the US tend to have it on the back? Are they really concerned that people might not sign up for the card if it's made obvious, or is it really more of a style thing?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mia
Sad that. Traveling in Europe you oftentimes hand your card to a waiter who places it in the machine (or taps it if they see the contactless logo). If they don't see it - they do the insert thing. Less likely to see it now. Way to go HSBC millennial who designed this
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
A quick UK HSBC prem question - has anyone received the £20 Uber credit when spending £500+ on flight? I can't quite see how the process works.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Sad that. Traveling in Europe you oftentimes hand your card to a waiter who places it in the machine (or taps it if they see the contactless logo). If they don't see it - they do the insert thing. Less likely to see it now. Way to go HSBC millennial who designed this
That has been my argument before and people have disagreed with it.

Not really understanding this new "fad" of putting the contactless logo on the back of the cards... Especially AMEX who puts theirs on the bottom corner of some of them.

I think the new trend looks stupid.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:57 am
mia

... hand your card to a waiter...:
I don't see how this is a problem. If you don't want to sign the chargeslip, hand the card to the waiter with the contactless logo visible.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
That has been my argument before and people have disagreed with it.

Not really understanding this new "fad" of putting the contactless logo on the back of the cards... Especially AMEX who puts theirs on the bottom corner of some of them.

I think the new trend looks stupid.
It makes sense if you're thinking it'll become common enough that it won't matter either way. Or if there's a possibility that people won't sign up for your card because the logo's obvious on marketing materials, but then again, HSBC actually does mention the contactless feature (albeit deep inside a PDF linked from the website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.