Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by greglvnv
The Merrill site is exclusively to access the card's benefits, meanwhile the BofA site will let you view transactions etc. for all your BofA accounts.
DP – I applied for the merrill lynch and it went pending. I called recon same dayand spoke with the representative who reviewed my file and complemented me on my credit and how I’ve managed it. I have a 780 credit score. She then said that unfortunately they cannot approve me for the card now because I have a lot of “available credit” (not just bofa) in my credit file. What a bunch of BS.

I had one previous bank of america card opened several years ago. No mention of too many cards or recent inquiries. (I've opened one amex card in the previous six months)

Last edited by cmlsu; Feb 9, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: All of em...
Anyone booked Southwest with these points?
Search came up empty. Wanting to take advantage of my CP.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Anyone booked Southwest with these points?
Search came up empty. Wanting to take advantage of my CP.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/redeem...-points-guide/

A commenter in this post says SW (Southwest), Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit cannot be booked with Merrill "points"

Sad, if it's true, since I've got the CP also. Let me/us know if you verify this with Merrill. (I was just searching this thread for SW yesterday too)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by cmlsu
DP – I applied for the merrill lynch and it went pending. I called recon same dayand spoke with the representative who reviewed my file and complemented me on my credit and how I’ve managed it. I have a 780 credit score. She then said that unfortunately they cannot approve me for the card now because I have a lot of “available credit” (not just bofa) in my credit file. What a bunch of BS.

I had one previous bank of america card opened several years ago. No mention of too many cards or recent inquiries. (I've opened one amex card in the previous six months)

You don't hear it terribly often, but sometimes on a manual recon, too much available credit can pose a problem. Some lenders view it as potential debt, i.e. if you racked up every one of your credit cards, you would be over your head with the amount of credit you have available. If you are declaring an average income yet have 200k in credit available, for example, you'd obviously never be able to pay off 200k, which can create red flags if a human reviews your report.

It generally happens most often with conservative lenders and CUs but any lender can use it as a reason.

It's not really BS, because unfortunately there are many people who charge more than they can pay back. You may not be one of those people, but they have no way of knowing that. Beyond that, the Merrill card seems to have a tougher underwriting process. Best to reduce unnecessary cards and limits and try again in the future.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:00 pm

This is just a tough card to get approved if you don't have either assets with Merrill Lynch, or already have multiple BofA cards. When I called recon they talked about the card mainly being intended for Merrill Lynch clients (though it is open to others). Too much BofA credit or multiple B of A cards will make this really really tough, even with a high credit score. They'll look at your credit profile closely. Up until recently the only denial I'd had in the past was through Capitol One. I would of loved to get this one for $1,000 in AS credit!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
This is just a tough card to get approved if you don't have either assets with Merrill Lynch, or already have multiple BofA cards. When I called recon they talked about the card mainly being intended for Merrill Lynch clients (though it is open to others). Too much BofA credit or multiple B of A cards will make this really really tough, even with a high credit score. They'll look at your credit profile closely. Up until recently the only denial I'd had in the past was through Capitol One. I would of loved to get this one for $1,000 in AS credit!

I had a whopping $140 in my Merrill Edge account. I have two BofA cards, one with a $17k limit, one with a $10k limit. They approved me for Merrill+ with a 10k limit.

My total limits are easily 3x my stated income and perhaps 4x.

I got pending but it was approved a few days later. I haven't applied for anything in 9-10 month though because I was trying to get under 5/24 before they nerfed the Reserve.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:09 pm

I signed up for this card about 3 weeks ago. Went to pending. Called right away. Approved for 5k cl.

I have a checking with 1500.00 in it, and 2 bofa credit card that I haven't used for like 10 yrs. Both card CL combined before was about 40k+. I had it changed to 5k cl each about 6 months ago.

FYI: I had about 100k total CL with Chase, I changed them all to 5K-10K per card.

I put 3k total charges on the card, and received the 50k bonus even while the 3k total charges are still pending, and hasnt posted to the card yet.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:50 am

An FYI for anyone hoping to book flights on Air Tahiti (the airline that serves French Polynesia intra-island flights) using points and the Merrill Lynch Travel Center. It cannot be done via the website or by calling in. Both result in "No flights were found that match your search" error message. I found this to be odd since Air Tahiti is available from the preferred airline drop down menu.

Furthermore, Air Tahiti flights are bookable on the Orbitz website, which the Merril Lynch Travel site is part of the Orbitz Partner Network, but I'm guessing they are not created equal.

These flights are available with the Citi Thank You Points and Chase Ultimate Rewards. I have not checked other options.

Last edited by stuntgoats; Feb 27, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:45 pm
MTY

DP for Merrill 50k

DP: No BofA or Merrill relationship whatsoever. I applied yesterday evening and it went to pending. I checked via status website this morning and it shows approved. I called in to see if I could get it expedited but the bank is closed and I'll have to call in during regular banking hours. It did not show my CL, just that the app was approved. High 700's credit score and income of at least $100k and I'm probably at 6/24 in new CC's, if that helps anyone. Status check website is below:

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...cation-status/
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Applied today with decision pending. No BofA cards open currently, credit score in 800's. Called immediately and CSR said it was approved. She did nothing. CL=$10k and I asked for and received expedited UPS shipping. I was just quoted about $1000 in needed car repairs. Who else finds that upcoming expenses are a cry for a new cc?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Considering applying for this card. I am a platinum honors rewards member have have over $150k with Merrill, so I'm hoping that'll give me a shot.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Bonus points post really fast... few days after min spend met... This is a great deal that hardly gets publicized I guess since noone gets a referral.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is there any working app link left? The links on DoC and FM are dead.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by italdesign
Is there any working app link left? The links on DoC and FM are dead.
It appears they are all dead.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Does this card have foreign transaction fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.