Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

I just got approved for the Merrill+ card and was curious if anyone had any experiences in using the benefits associated with that credit card. I am thinking about the concierge service, the rental car upgrades (Hertz) and the hotel vouchers in particular.

Thanks!
/Erling
Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See also this thread in the AmEx forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315239
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:54 am

I've achieved +2 status and have called in to request my 1-night Ritz cert. I am now on my way to achieving +3 status before the year ends... then its time to do it all over again in 2005. I think the Ritz certificates make the card worthwhile since these are in addition to the points that you are racking up anyways. The Merrill reward points catalog has quite a bit of stuff including luxury items like tumi travel cases. although you are probably better off on spending your points for airfare since you get more bang for your points. The rewards catalog can be viewed online via the mbna/merrill site once you activate and register your card online. I haven't used the concierge service yet... not sure what to use them for since I more of a do-it-yourselfer.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:20 am

Is status only reached per calendar year, so that you start from scratch at the beginning of each year with cumulative purchases?

I just got this card and plan to start using it in December while vacationing. Since I won't reach any level in 2004, will the value I spend in December carry over towards status in 2005?

Susan
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:35 am
Original Poster

We will have to start from scratch Jan-1. This is what that the T&C says

"Note: Levels are based on total net spending in a calendar year. Cash advances, balance transfers, fees, finance charges and purchases of money orders or other cash equivalents will not qualify for +2 or +3 status. When +2 or +3 status is achieved, the MERRILL+ cardholder will be eligible for these benefits for the remainder of that year plus the entire following calendar year."

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Is status only reached per calendar year, so that you start from scratch at the beginning of each year with cumulative purchases?

I just got this card and plan to start using it in December while vacationing. Since I won't reach any level in 2004, will the value I spend in December carry over towards status in 2005?

Susan
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Well I received the card a week ago or so and just tried using the concierge for the first time. I'm trying to get her to find me a bottle of Talisker 1986 (scotch) that I've been trying to find but haven't been able to locate. They answered right away and were very pleasent throughout the call so first impression is very good. Now we'll see if they can work miracles!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Well I got a reply from Circles, which are the Concierge service provider for the Merrill+ card. So although I'm the only one posting in this thread I'm gonna finish it up for anyone who is interested

The request was for a bottle of Talisker 1986, which I bought in Canada a year or so ago and haven't been able to find since. Well the concierge was able to find it. It is not sold in the US though, only in France, Canada and the UK apparently. They did provide me with a few different websites where I could buy the bottle. Additionally I believe they could buy it for me and have it shipped.

Overall I must give them credit for a job professionally done. I would definitely use them again
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:04 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Erling
Well I got a reply from Circles, which are the Concierge service provider for the Merrill+ card. So although I'm the only one posting in this thread I'm gonna finish it up for anyone who is interested

The request was for a bottle of Talisker 1986, which I bought in Canada a year or so ago and haven't been able to find since. Well the concierge was able to find it. It is not sold in the US though, only in France, Canada and the UK apparently. They did provide me with a few different websites where I could buy the bottle. Additionally I believe they could buy it for me and have it shipped.

Overall I must give them credit for a job professionally done. I would definitely use them again
so what does this bottle of spirits cost ya?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

The websites they recommended had it for about £50 or USD $80, which is about what I bought it for. In my view its much better than the JW Blue Label which cost almost double that.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:24 am

Erling,

thanks for sharing your experience with the Conc Service... I too have this card but have yet to use the service. I wonder just how much the service differs from +3 status versus the regular. Was your correspondence done mainly over email or by phone?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I called the number on the back of the card to initiate my request. We also have the ability to enter our requests through the Merrill+ website. The response was both. The lady from Circles called me up to notify that they had sent me an email with the information I had requested. She said their policy is to both send email and call for information that can't be readily relayed over the phone. A nice feature was that she left her name so that I could contact her directly if I wanted. Since she came through for me I will ask for her the next time I want to use the service.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
Good to hear your experiences. I have this card as well, but haven't tried the concierge services. I've used the Visa signature service and was underwhelmed. I like how Merrill has a web interface as well (so you can get the important stuff done in those long meetings )

I wonder if people have any comments on how this compares to other cc concierge services like AMEX and DC.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: CO/OnePass Platinum, *wood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HiltonHonors Gold, Amex Platinum, Hertz #1CG 5*
Amex Plat concierge uses Circles too...

Circles is the same company used by Amex Platinum Concierge (out of Boston, MA).

I've used them on a few occasions for resto. reservations in NYC. Very pleased with their professionalism and prompt response. Even more impressed they got me a reservation at Wolfgang's Steakhouse during prime dining hours.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:33 am

Any merrill cardholders try redeeming their points for an airline ticket? I was wondering what their preferred airlines are. I hope continental is one of them. Also anyone actually reserve and use their Ritz certificates yet? I have one free-night cert in my possession and was wondering how easy/restrictive it is to get a room at any of the locations. I plan on getting the 3-nights free cert once I hit +3 status this year and then rack up 50k more points to get 4 more free nights in 2005 for a combined 8 free nights and then use them all at once. I'm getting married in June 2005, so hopefully they come in handy for a free honeymoon!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by Erling
I called the number on the back of the card to initiate my request. We also have the ability to enter our requests through the Merrill+ website. The response was both. The lady from Circles called me up to notify that they had sent me an email with the information I had requested. She said their policy is to both send email and call for information that can't be readily relayed over the phone. A nice feature was that she left her name so that I could contact her directly if I wanted. Since she came through for me I will ask for her the next time I want to use the service.
How did you know that the call came from Circles? I have had some mixed reusults with them so far. They could not get me a table at the IVY in London but the hotel concierge could.

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.