Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Jed Murakami
Any data points on people just passing the one year mark, getting the $325 travel credit for year 2 and then cancelling immediately and getting AF refunded?
There are lots of stories about it on blogs/reddit etc. However if you found the card hard to get, doing that might make it harder to ever get it again. It gets me bonuses at all kinds of places that generally do not ever get cat spend bonuses (like the veterinarian or animal kennel) so I quite like it. And I don't have to worry about what something will code up as since I know if I can do Apple Pay or GPay it'll get bonused.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
For what it’s worth I have an old no AF US Bank Flexperks AMEX. I also have a mortgage through US Bank (happenstance...whoever my broker sold the mortgage off to). I applied for the AR in January and was denied because of too many inquiries/account (12 inquiries last 12 months, 6 new account last 12 months). I applied again in March 65 days later with no credit report changes and was pending, then received an email 15 minutes later saying I was approved. Card showed up 2 days later 17.5k CL.

Not in US Banks service area.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Jed Murakami
Any data points on people just passing the one year mark, getting the $325 travel credit for year 2 and then cancelling immediately and getting AF refunded?
Commenters on DoC are saying they are getting the $325 clawed back if they cancel and get the 2nd AF refunded. YMMV
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

Commenters on DoC are saying they are getting the $325 clawed back if they cancel and get the 2nd AF refunded. YMMV
Thank you for this response. Probably changed my mind about cancelling the card.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:29 am

I doubt that they can keep travel credit and net that against the annual fee refund. That would seem to be a violation of the CARD act.

USB did what they could do minimize gaming, by making it membership year based, rather than CY based.

Ultimately what they would have to do is make it like some the hotel cert/FN which only 'vest' into your account 30-60 days after renewal.

I doubt that is so easy to do for a monetary credit, or that it wouldn't cause other problems like irate customers calling up wondering where their credit was, which would soak up CSR time.

Anyways, here's a dp from reddit, although not super recent

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...dqj/_/dzuu6t6/

Given the use of this card I think it makes sense to leave open anyways as the net economic cost of keeping it open is either very low, or even negative if you get the 10k retention.. Gpay, Apple Pay, etc. are only getting more prevalent. And no dealing with the category/MCC coding BS that Amex Gold folks have to struggle with....

I do grant that one cant MS on it, and that otherwise racking up scads of their proprietary points is hard, since they dont have a whole ecosystem to support it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I doubt that they can keep travel credit and net that against the annual fee refund. That would seem to be a violation of the CARD act.

USB did what they could do minimize gaming, by making it membership year based, rather than CY based.

Ultimately what they would have to do is make it like some the hotel cert/FN which only 'vest' into your account 30-60 days after renewal.

I doubt that is so easy to do for a monetary credit, or that it wouldn't cause other problems like irate customers calling up wondering where their credit was, which would soak up CSR time.

Anyways, here's a dp from reddit, although not super recent

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...dqj/_/dzuu6t6/

Given the use of this card I think it makes sense to leave open anyways as the net economic cost of keeping it open is either very low, or even negative if you get the 10k retention.. Gpay, Apple Pay, etc. are only getting more prevalent. And no dealing with the category/MCC coding BS that Amex Gold folks have to struggle with....

I do grant that one cant MS on it, and that otherwise racking up scads of their proprietary points is hard, since they dont have a whole ecosystem to support it.
I think it might be the way the travel credit works as they kick in after the statement in which the AF hits. If you call to cancel after the AF hits and the travel credits are being applied it gives them a chance to "claw back" the credits and instead issue an AF credit before the next statement closes (letting the charges stand). If you let the statement with the travel credits come through then it's to late to cancel and get the AF back at that point. So "clawing back" might be a bit of a misnomer since they don't officially attach until your statement closes, and CARD Act issues do not apply.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
I think it might be the way the travel credit works as they kick in after the statement in which the AF hits. If you call to cancel after the AF hits and the travel credits are being applied it gives them a chance to "claw back" the credits and instead issue an AF credit before the next statement closes (letting the charges stand). If you let the statement with the travel credits come through then it's to late to cancel and get the AF back at that point. So "clawing back" might be a bit of a misnomer since they don't officially attach until your statement closes, and CARD Act issues do not apply.
The reddit dp I dug up and posted upthread suggests that the poster was able to get their travel credit, AND get a refund of the annual fee.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:46 am

The reddit dp I dug up and posted upthread suggests that the poster was able to get their travel credit, AND get a refund of the annual fee.
The reddit dp you posted does not actually confirm getting the full $400 back and the travel credit. It actually mentions that CS told them that the travel credit amount would be subtracted from the AF refund and the reddit poster is hoping to get the full credit. There's a response to the post referencing a DOC dp of getting thethe full AF back (not specific on travel credits), but no link and I haven't seen an actual dp from DOC with confirmation of getting the travel credits and the full AF back.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
The reddit dp you posted does not actually confirm getting the full $400 back and the travel credit. It actually mentions that CS told them that the travel credit amount would be subtracted from the AF refund and the reddit poster is hoping to get the full credit. There's a response to the post referencing a DOC dp of getting thethe full AF back (not specific on travel credits), but no link and I haven't seen an actual dp from DOC with confirmation of getting the travel credits and the full AF back.
read the full post, a few comments later the OP comes back and updates the thread stating that the front line CSR was wrong, and that they got the fee refunded.

alphabet99

15 points·9 months agoAltitude Reserve $400 annual fee posted earlier this month. Bought a refundable Southwest flight and canceled, and received the $325 travel credit. Called today and told the rep I wanted to cancel for a refund of the $400 fee. On hold for a while, and then she tells me I'll only get a $25 refund since I already used the travel credit. Came here to report and as I'm typing it, realized the math doesn't even work and I should be getting $75 according to her logic. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed for the full $400 fee refund.

level 2
blueskyandgoodwine
EZE, MON5 points·9 months agoDoC got the whole refund so I suspect the odds are in your favor. Especially considering the special math, sounds like the rep was pulling stuff out of thin air. Did you get the 10k retention offer?

level 3
alphabet99

2 points·9 months agoDid not get the 10K retention offer, but did get the full refund!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:15 pm

read the full post, a few comments later the OP comes back and updates the thread stating that the front line CSR was wrong, and that they got the fee refunded.

alphabet99
15 points·9 months agoAltitude Reserve $400 annual fee posted earlier this month. Bought a refundable Southwest flight and canceled, and received the $325 travel credit. Called today and told the rep I wanted to cancel for a refund of the $400 fee. On hold for a while, and then she tells me I'll only get a $25 refund since I already used the travel credit. Came here to report and as I'm typing it, realized the math doesn't even work and I should be getting $75 according to her logic. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed for the full $400 fee refund.

level 2
blueskyandgoodwine
EZE, MON5 points·9 months agoDoC got the whole refund so I suspect the odds are in your favor. Especially considering the special math, sounds like the rep was pulling stuff out of thin air. Did you get the 10k retention offer?

level 3
alphabet99
2 points·9 months agoDid not get the 10K retention offer, but did get the full refund!
I do see that now; thanks. I'm keeping the card no matter what at this point, but one thing I've noticed is that the credits have been taking about a week to post after the charge shows up. I guess anyone attempting to do this would need to make the travel charges soon after the AF statement posts in order to allow for the charges to get through and the credits to post. Your dp would seem to indicate that the computer is set up to issue the full AF refund (travel credits notwithstanding) if the cancellation is done within 30 days, but more recent and additional corroboration is needed in case USB is now taking care of these refunds manually.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:21 pm

Prowl around....I think there are data points backing up the reddit one.

I don't think there are tons of reported data points for the simple reason that people find the card hard to get, and thus after having it, aren't quick to shed it. Plus it shouldn't be hard to make it a breakeven / positive value card.

I just don't think a big bank, with a CARD regulated product, is going to be tons of manual stuff.

Even if they seem to have some manual supervision watching out for MS'ing, at least anecdotally a few years ago.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Just noticed that Doxo has started accepting Apple Pay. It seems like you can pay a lot of payees that would otherwise not accept credit cards, but they charge ~3.5% for credit card transactions, so you're only clearing 1% vs paying your bill in cash. It could make sense for something like paying a mortgage on an investment property, since Plastiq is hard to use for mortgages and you could potentially deduct the fee, but beyond special cases like that it doesn't seem too exciting (given the fee).
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:19 pm

So I was under the understanding that real time rewards for travel purchases earned you 1.5 cpp on redemption. Indeed my first RTR redemption for an Uber charge gave me a value of 1.5cpp. I then received a RTR notification today asking if I wanted to redeem 6500 points for a charge. Since I so far have only been putting travel charges on the card I said yes. Now I have had a chance to see what the 6500 points were for an it was for a $65 EZPass charge.

Is EZPass considered travel by US Bank for purposes of earning 3x?
If a charge earns 3x should I be able to redeem points at 1.5cpp or is the list of categories for 1.5 cpp RTR redemptions different than the list of 3x earning categories.

Hoping to understand a little better. Regardless, I will call to ask if they can make a 1 time exception.

Thanks

Last edited by jags86; Mar 26, 2019 at 1:32 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
I don't think EZPASS or Tolls for that matter code as travel on USBank Altitude, but I haven't personally tried. My ExpressToll account does not. Make sure you set up your RTR Preferences for only travel categories.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
A couple dps.

1. Real time rewards did not work for me in Europe, despite using an American car rental company.

2. P2 got card, bonus posted just in time. I had a car rental and wanted to use real time rewards to cover. Transferred points from p2, seemed to be immediate (though TBH, I didn't check for 5-6 hours). Real time rewards went through without a hitch. Sweet!
akr1970akr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.