Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The rate AEEML uses is no more than the highest official rate published by a government agency or the highest interbank rate AEEML identifies from customary banking sources on the conversion date or the prior business day.
First up, I should put a big caveat on which currencies Amex cherry picks on. Dirty floats like RMB/TWD/THB don't get cherry picked. JPY is also cherry picking-free. It's relatively free-float currency such as AUD/GBP/EUR where this happens. So please do not extrapolate your great JPY/USD rate here.

Our terms are materially similar, but we still get cherry picking.

Because those rates are not published like https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html or https://www.mastercard.com/global/cu...ion/index.html or http://www.unionpayintl.com/MainServ...exchangeRateEn , it's very hard to prove one way or another.

13. FOREIGN CURRENCY CHARGES If you make a Charge that is submitted to us in a currency other than Hong Kong Dollars, or if we receive a refund in a foreign currency, that Charge or refund will be converted into Hong Kong Dollars. The conversion will take place on the date the Charge or refund is processed by American Express, which may not be the same date on which you made your Charge or refund as it depends on when the Charge or refund was submitted to American Express. This means that the exchange rate used may differ from the rate that is in effect on the date of the Charge or refund. Exchange rate fluctuations can be significant. If the Charge or refund is not in U.S. Dollars, the conversion will be made through U.S. Dollars, by converting the Charge or refund amount into U.S. Dollars and then by converting the U.S. Dollar amount into Hong Kong Dollars. If the Charge or refund is in U.S. Dollars, it will be converted directly into Hong Kong Dollars. Unless a specific rate is either required by applicable law or is used as a matter of local custom or convention in the territory where the Charge or refund is made (in which case we will look to be consistent with that custom or convention), you understand and agree that the American Express treasury system will use conversion rates based on interbank rates that it selects from customary industry sources on the business day prior to the processing date, increased by a single conversion commission of 2%. We call this conversion rate the ‘American Express Exchange Rate’. The American Express Exchange Rate is set each business day. Changes in the rate will be applied immediately and without notice to you. You can find our rates by calling us at the number on the back of your Card. You may sometimes be offered the option to settle foreign currency Charges in Hong Kong Dollars at the point of sale overseas. Such option is a direct arrangement offered by the overseas merchants and not American Express. In such cases, you are reminded to ask the merchants for the foreign currency exchange rates and the percentage of handling fees to be applied before the Charges are entered into since settling foreign currency Charges in Hong Kong dollars may involve a cost higher than the conversion commission. Since a Charge converted via the merchant or other third party, will be submitted to us in Hong Kong Dollars, we will not apply a conversion commission. The amount of any refund of a Charge made in foreign currency will generally differ from the amount of the original Charge because: (i) in most cases, the rate applied to any refund will differ from the original rate applied to the Charge; and (ii) any currency conversion commission charged on the original purchase is not refunded. However, we do not charge an additional currency conversion commission on the refunded amount.
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...s/PGRCC_CM.pdf

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:18 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
First up, I should put a big caveat on which currencies Amex cherry picks on. Dirty floats like RMB/TWD/THB don't get cherry picked. JPY is also cherry picking-free. It's relatively free-float currency such as AUD/GBP/EUR where this happens. So please do not extrapolate your great JPY/USD rate here.
I see no evidence of this. My experience using US-based cards:
1) Amex rates on average are better than Visa.
2) Variance in rates from mid-rate for Amex and Visa since start of 2017 are almost identical. (sd=.0034 vs sd=.0032)
3) Variance for AUD, GBP, EUR and THB are similar. (sd(all currencies)=.0034 vs sd (THB transactions)=.0028)

None of these things would be true if Amex was cherry-picking bad rates when they can. (Unless Visa is cherry-picking worse rates and doing it more often!)

(I don't remember ever using a company in Japan which even accepts Amex, so I'm certainly not including JPY.)

increased by a single conversion commission of 2%
That's a much bigger problem than this one!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(I don't remember ever using a company in Japan which even accepts Amex, so I'm certainly not including JPY.)
I go to Japan more than any other place when I am on vacation. Amex acceptance in Japan is very good - they're pretty card association-netural.

That's a much bigger problem than this one!
Almost all HK V/M are 1.95% on same score.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Ping An Bank POS Terminals in China

I just had my first experience with forced DCC in China. The merchant's staff don't know how to opt out. The receipt is from Ping An Bank.

Does anyone know how to opt out on the Ping An Bank terminals in China?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Wanted to add some datapoints from my latest trip to Europe, using a mix of chip and sig, contactless, chip and pin.
Hotels were prepaid and not chains, so no chance to see DCC in action at checkout.

London - No DCC encountered, all charges in GBP without asking.

Eurostar to Paris was interesting, prices for onboard refreshments were offered in both GBP and EUR, with an insane markup on EUR (something like 1.5x to 1.75x the GBP price), but no DCC beyond that.

Paris - Only one instance of DCC in a high end fashion brand shop. Choice was offered on the pin pad and respected, but nearly a 4% markup on FX if accepted.

Spain - DCC is rampant as expected. All restaurants and most shops offered it. When I used my Chip and PIN Target Redcard Mastercard, the currency choice was after the PIN prompt. Markup was generally between 3-4% if accepted.
At the restaurants, I always told the waiters to charge in EUR, and the choice was respected. No BS.
Same with the shops, offered on the pin pad and choice respected.
At El Corte Ingles, using Samsung Pay NFC bypassed DCC, but DCC on regular cards was not forced.
Oddly the Barcelona metro and Renfe also offered DCC, first time seeing it in a mass transit system.

Overall, not as bad as I was expecting after reading the threads here.
harrods has dcc
and i also ran into a restau in bcn that has dcc many moons ago
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
New one for me: a merchant in Spain told me I would be charged a 2% fee for choosing to pay in euros instead of USD. They gave me no choice and selected DCC even after I protested.

Card was a citi MasterCard. I’ll be filing a chargeback when I get home. I believe the merchant bank was Sabadell.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by txflyer77
New one for me: a merchant in Spain told me I would be charged a 2% fee for choosing to pay in euros instead of USD. They gave me no choice and selected DCC even after I protested.

Card was a citi MasterCard. I’ll be filing a chargeback when I get home. I believe the merchant bank was Sabadell.
That's a new one, but, yeah, file the chargeback.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by txflyer77

Non EU cards aren't subject to the interchange caps, are they? DCC may be a way for some merchants to recoup their costs, albeit anti-consumer.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:39 pm

Wouldn't that mean that it could be 10x more expensive for a merchant in Poland to accept an American visa card than a Polish one? If so, wouldn't they have come up with ways to block foreign cards by now?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Barciur
Wouldn't that mean that it could be 10x more expensive for a merchant in Poland to accept an American visa card than a Polish one? If so, wouldn't they have come up with ways to block foreign cards by now?
I'm not sure if they're even allowed to block foreign cards by law. I imagine we'd have seen more outright blocks if that were the case.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Non EU cards aren't subject to the interchange caps, are they? DCC may be a way for some merchants to recoup their costs, albeit anti-consumer.
Correct, the cap only applies to EU (well, EEA technically) cards.

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure if they're even allowed to block foreign cards by law. I imagine we'd have seen more outright blocks if that were the case.
It's probably not illegal, but it's almost certainly against the terms of their agreement with Visa and MC. I've seen what appears to be that sort of block with some 3rd-party online payment processors in the Benelux; twice in the last week when trying to use American cards online the processor sent me to VBV, I verified the transaction, and then the processor declined it. In both cases a German card worked fine. My guess is that the processors justify this as a fraud-prevention measure since both online retailers are ones that don't ship outside Europe. Blocking foreign cards in person seems much less justifiable, and the only instance I've seen are some UK unattended fuel pumps, which won't even take other EU countries' cards (I'm not counting situations where only a national-network card is accepted like EC in Germany).

The recent EU directive banning card fees to consumers also carved out foreign cards. Some of the outfits that used to charge card fees until they got slapped by the EU maintained them for foreign cards--if you book a KLM flight with a European credit card, they obey the law and charge zero, but they get a couple percent if you use an American card. Interestingly I booked a couple SN flights the other day and it asked me for the first 6 digits of my card to calculate the fee... and then charged zero for an American card.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Correct, the cap only applies to EU (well, EEA technically) cards.

It's probably not illegal, but it's almost certainly against the terms of their agreement with Visa and MC. I've seen what appears to be that sort of block with some 3rd-party online payment processors in the Benelux; twice in the last week when trying to use American cards online the processor sent me to VBV, I verified the transaction, and then the processor declined it. In both cases a German card worked fine. My guess is that the processors justify this as a fraud-prevention measure since both online retailers are ones that don't ship outside Europe. Blocking foreign cards in person seems much less justifiable, and the only instance I've seen are some UK unattended fuel pumps, which won't even take other EU countries' cards (I'm not counting situations where only a national-network card is accepted like EC in Germany).

The recent EU directive banning card fees to consumers also carved out foreign cards. Some of the outfits that used to charge card fees until they got slapped by the EU maintained them for foreign cards--if you book a KLM flight with a European credit card, they obey the law and charge zero, but they get a couple percent if you use an American card. Interestingly I booked a couple SN flights the other day and it asked me for the first 6 digits of my card to calculate the fee... and then charged zero for an American card.
I believe not accepting intl cards online is against the merchant agreement as well. The first company I got my car insurance with in the US would not accept the payment with a non-US issued card online or over the phone. I filed a complaint online with Visa and Amex, as well as had my issuing bank reach out to Amex. Lo and behold, received a call a week later apologizing for their "system issues", and the payment was processed promptly. I've yet to encounter another merchant in the US, in Europe or online, that has an issue with an intl issued card.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by mdbe
I believe not accepting intl cards online is against the merchant agreement as well. The first company I got my car insurance with in the US would not accept the payment with a non-US issued card online or over the phone. I filed a complaint online with Visa and Amex, as well as had my issuing bank reach out to Amex. Lo and behold, received a call a week later apologizing for their "system issues", and the payment was processed promptly. I've yet to encounter another merchant in the US, in Europe or online, that has an issue with an intl issued card.
The “issue” in the US might as well be that they usually require a matching billing address on the account as an anti-fraud measure to satisfy the AVS match. In the past, AVS was only able to verify US & Canadian addresses.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
AVS can still only verify US/CANADA addresses. I got to sit next to the "card processing manager" for a luxury goods department store on a UA IAD-YYZ. Based on my chat with him, apparently especially the higher end retailers rely more on big data analytics now (https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-pay...ter-1524139200) and that to an extent AVS has become "not so necessary" especially for repeat orders.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mdbe
AVS can still only verify US/CANADA addresses. I got to sit next to the "card processing manager" for a luxury goods department store on a UA IAD-YYZ. Based on my chat with him, apparently especially the higher end retailers rely more on big data analytics now (https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-pay...ter-1524139200) and that to an extent AVS has become "not so necessary" especially for repeat orders.
AVS is also supported in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.