Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
I applaud you for contesting any DCC charges, but I'd prefer to handle a DCC issue at the time of the transaction rather than spending time calling or writing my card issuer. There was another poster, Happy, who didn't have a good experience with a Chase issued card when contesting a forced DCC transaction in the UAE. The acquirer or merchant responded to the chargeback, and it caused more headaches than the charge was worth. By the time I'm contacting the card issuer, it's on principle because the spread between the DCC amount as Visa amount wouldn't be worth my time in almost all cases.
I've fixed it at the merchant itself before, but generally what happens is either the person doesn't understand or it take forever and I get a horrible experience with it. I rarely if ever call a bank, Chase let's me make disputes purely online and then they call you to ask questions about the dispute. I complain if something is not right, and I'd say I win some and I lose some. But overall I think I end up getting compensated in the big picture among all the interactions.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I applaud you for contesting any DCC charges, but I'd prefer to handle a DCC issue at the time of the transaction rather than spending time calling or writing my card issuer.
I'd prefer it too, but there are still sneaky ones which make this hard. I try to avoid DCC altogether by using Amex, but then there are those times when the business doesn't accept Amex or their own branded card which gives bonus points isn't an Amex. My first successful DCC was express checkout at a hotel, without any warning, so I had no way to know until it hit my account. The second time, just recently, was a shop that similarly never mentioned any currency other than local and put the receipt in the bag. (I first saw the receipt when I was making some of my packing neater in the taxi on the way to the airport!) In both cases, I'd used Chase cards and they made sure I didn't carry the loss.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'd prefer it too, but there are still sneaky ones which make this hard. I try to avoid DCC altogether by using Amex, but then there are those times when the business doesn't accept Amex or their own branded card which gives bonus points isn't an Amex. My first successful DCC was express checkout at a hotel, without any warning, so I had no way to know until it hit my account. The second time, just recently, was a shop that similarly never mentioned any currency other than local and put the receipt in the bag. (I first saw the receipt when I was making some of my packing neater in the taxi on the way to the airport!) In both cases, I'd used Chase cards and they made sure I didn't carry the loss.
I am vigilant with receipts at shops and restaurants to make sure there is no DCC. I also never use express checkout at a hotel outside of the US (or even in the US typically as I've had the occasional incidental charge I never made appear on my bill). A best practice when there is a risk of DCC is to have the preauth done with an AmEx and then upon checkout say you want to use a different card. It works every time for me and forces them to run the new card without a preauth. Fortunately these cases are now limited for me because I am using an AmEx for both Marriott/Starwood and Hilton hotels.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I also never use express checkout at a hotel outside of the US (or even in the US typically as I've had the occasional incidental charge I never made appear on my bill).
I don't often use it, but I sometimes do when they have provided a complete bill under the door on checkout morning. That hotel caught me off guard because there had been a deposit to book the room and that had been processed in local currency. It never occurred to me that a hotel might process the deposit in one currency and then DCC the remainder on checkout.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT

If you weren’t given a choice of opting out, I would say that a chargeback is in order. What were the circumstances of the DCC?
When the choice of EUR/USD came up the sleazy B&B owner hit the USD button before I could even blink. Called Barclays and they handled it swiftly.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
When the choice of EUR/USD came up the sleazy B&B owner hit the USD button before I could even blink. Called Barclays and they handled it swiftly.
In that situation, I'd have asked them to void the sale and start over the correct way or defaced the receipt and let them know a chargeback was coming.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I don't often use it, but I sometimes do when they have provided a complete bill under the door on checkout morning.
That is never a complete bill, but just an informational invoice...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that situation, I'd have asked them to void the sale and start over the correct way........
"It is not possible to cancel transaction" is the standard response when I asked to void DCC.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
"It is not possible to cancel transaction" is the standard response when I asked to void DCC.
That is nearly always the answer or it takes forever for them to figure out how to do it. One time it took me 30 minutes to get it fixed, and they refunded me in local currency and rebilled with DCC so I was out 2x DCC. I just do chargebacks now and write on the signed receipt that I wanted to pay with local currency then take a photo.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sintaku
That is nearly always the answer or it takes forever for them to figure out how to do it. One time it took me 30 minutes to get it fixed, and they refunded me in local currency and rebilled with DCC so I was out 2x DCC. I just do chargebacks now and write on the signed receipt that I wanted to pay with local currency then take a photo.
Also, if it seems to be the owner knew what was up, I wouldn't hesitate to leave the appropriate feedback on TripAdvisor or other similar review sites.

It is most certainly possible to void a sale on a transaction since you're not going to tell me if the person mistakenly keyed in €250 instead of €150 that it would be impossible to reverse the charge.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

I saw DCC for my taxi fare in Vancouver early Saturday morning. My last time taking taxis there was in June 2017, and I didn't remember there being DCC:

Amount in local currency: 37.00 CAD
DCC offer: 29.64 USD
Posted amount: 28.50 USD
Effective DCC markup: 4% (or $1.14)

I retained the terminal throughout the transaction, so I was able to select the DCC opt out. The same terminal was present at the Ramen Butcher where a number of FlyerTalk members were eating for the YVR Do. For the rest of my transactions I mostly used Google Pay, so I didn't see any further DCC. I also didn't see any DCC at the Westin on my traveling companion's bill even though he paid with a Visa.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
In that situation, I'd have asked them to void the sale and start over the correct way or defaced the receipt and let them know a chargeback was coming.
Normally I would have made a stink, but when you have a family member with you who's super nervous about missing the train that isn't going to end up well. The sad thing was the B&B was quite nice, but I ripped them a new one on tripadvisor.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

That's the merchant's problem. If he can't cancel the transaction, then he could for example pay you a cash amount to compensate you for the fact that he used DCC against your will, or issue a partial refund to your card.

Keep in mind that Visa's rules state that the merchant can't place any restrictions on non-DCC transactions which don't also apply to DCC transactions. For example, if a customer who chooses to use DCC simply has to sign a receipt and after that can leave the shop, then the same option must also be offered to a customer who chooses not to use DCC. If your choice not to use DCC comes with extra restrictions (such as requiring you to argue with the shopkeeper for half an hour or requesting a chargeback), then the merchant should pay you compensation for the extra restrictions.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:26 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Chargeback is the most appropriate response to that. Remember to deface receipt and take iphone photo of merchant copy.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I saw DCC for my taxi fare in Vancouver early Saturday morning. My last time taking taxis there was in June 2017, and I didn't remember there being DCC:

Amount in local currency: 37.00 CAD
DCC offer: 29.64 USD
Posted amount: 28.50 USD
Effective DCC markup: 4% (or $1.14)

I retained the terminal throughout the transaction, so I was able to select the DCC opt out. The same terminal was present at the Ramen Butcher where a number of FlyerTalk members were eating for the YVR Do. For the rest of my transactions I mostly used Google Pay, so I didn't see any further DCC. I also didn't see any DCC at the Westin on my traveling companion's bill even though he paid with a Visa.
That’s a Moneris terminal. They only introduced DCC in late 2017. Tap bypasses it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.