Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Not "big box" per se but as mentioned before, I think Baskin-Robbins (and maybe Dunkin' Donuts too since they're the same company) does DCC based on the receipts I've seen.

As for restaurants, I doubt they'll ever do DCC thanks to our dislike of pay at the table making performing it per Visa/MC rules impossible (or at least with enough hassle to make it not worthwhile).
I remember your post on Baskin-Robbins. As for restaurants, who said anything about being compliant? I believe there were posts that Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and a few others did DCC in the past but no longer do. I don't think it would be a problem in the US, however, since the waitstaff would be motivated to correct any billing issues in order to receive a tip. Generally, I would say you're right that restaurants in the US are unlikely to have DCC.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I remember your post on Baskin-Robbins. As for restaurants, who said anything about being compliant? I believe there were posts that Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and a few others did DCC in the past but no longer do. I don't think it would be a problem in the US, however, since the waitstaff would be motivated to correct any billing issues in order to receive a tip. Generally, I would say you're right that restaurants in the US are unlikely to have DCC.
The rules are probably better enforced here (though I'm not sure that's saying much, despite recent positive experience), hence them no longer doing it. Of course, they could also have stopped for other reasons.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
The rules are probably better enforced here (though I'm not sure that's saying much, despite recent positive experience), hence them no longer doing it. Of course, they could also have stopped for other reasons.
I imagine it could be like PIN transactions bypassing the tip line. For instance, imagine someone signing in a 10.00 tip thinking it's USD and it turns out to be in MXN ($0.55).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:06 am

Damn near fell for the DCC trap on Cathay Pacific's website today! Had never noticed it before, but today I spotted a little drop down menu that just asks you to choose your currency, and I almost fell for it.

Fortunately, I was paying by Amex. But the problem is that (like many of us) I jump around from different location-versions of the website looking for the best fare. I couldn't remember if I was on the Canadian site, the Hong Kong site, or some other country site, and it is very easy to fall into that drop-down menu trap.

At least CX do tell you plainly that you're about to get screwed if you choose DCC:

As an extra benefit, you can now choose to pay for our travel services in one of the above currencies to ensure certainty of the amount charged to your credit cards (for VISA and MasterCard only.) Currency exchange rate is based on a rate determined by a third-party foreign exchange provider, plus 3%.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Such a benefit ...
BruceyBonus likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just returned from a trip to CN, JP and HK. Only saw DCC at hotels, but a stern 'I want to pa in CNY/JPY/HKD please' didn't start the spiel in the first place and the agents made the right selections on the POS. Nearly got hit by DCC at the HK Airport express.

Re big box retailers: in Germany grocery stores don't have DCC, but Galleria Kaufhof, a large department store chain will always offer to DCC you. The EUR option is easy to select though and not hidden.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just returned from a trip to CN, JP and HK. Only saw DCC at hotels, but a stern 'I want to pa in CNY/JPY/HKD please' didn't start the spiel in the first place and the agents made the right selections on the POS. Nearly got hit by DCC at the HK Airport express.

Re big box retailers: in Germany grocery stores don't have DCC, but Galleria Kaufhof, a large department store chain will always offer to DCC you. The EUR option is easy to select though and not hidden.
Since you didn't stop in SIN, I can report (more likely confirm) that duty free very much had DCC, but in plain sight, and both times clerks were understanding, almost guiding me toward local currency. Hotels were paid mostly via hotels.com, so no DCC there. No DCC in Thai grocery chains where I shopped, and hotels were again prepaid.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nearly got hit by DCC at the HK Airport express.
I haven't encountered DCC on the Airport Express recently even though I know that it's present through Citibank. When I'm by myself I will use my Octopus card for convenience rather than wait to purchase tickets. When traveling with someone, I'll wait to get the group price on tickets. The last time I purchased tickets at Hong Kong station I proactively requested HKD, but the employee said, "I always choose HKD for the customers. The offered conversion rate is not favorable." This is at least one case of staff opting customers out of DCC in case they are unaware. ^ All other times when buying Airport Express tickets I have had to request HKD and confirm via the final receipt at the staff declined DCC.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I initially had asked for a group ticket for 4 and he misunderstood that I wanted to go to Kowloon not HK. The transaction slip printed out the usual 'X for your currency choice' DCC slip. When I told him I wanted HK and please not to do the currency choice the slip looked completely different.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:02 pm

I've only used my BOA cards but I've never once got a DCC now that I physically HOLD the terminal at the restaurant so some sleeze waiter cannot just hit "USD" and let that be that.

I'm beginning to think it may not be automatic but that these people hit the button. Warrant further investigation...

I've only used my BOA Plat TR
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
I haven't encountered any single instance of attempted DCC in my travel in multiple country / regions last and this year.

I have travelled to China, Turkey, Finland and Russia and used my cards, and none of them attempted to do DCC on me. Whenever I pay, I just inserted my card and the machine spit out the receipt in local currency immediately.

However, when I was in Istanbul airport, one of the restaurants offered "multiple currencies" (including TRY, USD, EUR and some more) on the checkout, but it was before I insert the card and applicable to cash as well, so it was not DCC but instead the merchant offering multiple currency payment, so I tell the cashier to use Turkish Lira and inserted my card.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aGeist
I'm beginning to think it may not be automatic but that these people hit the button. Warrant further investigation...
It depends on the terminal. For some it's automatic.

Originally Posted by miklcct
However, when I was in Istanbul airport, one of the restaurants offered "multiple currencies" (including TRY, USD, EUR and some more) on the checkout, but it was before I insert the card and applicable to cash as well, so it was not DCC but instead the merchant offering multiple currency payment, so I tell the cashier to use Turkish Lira and inserted my card.
Sounds like multi currency conversion..
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by miklcct
I haven't encountered any single instance of attempted DCC in my travel in multiple country / regions last and this year.
Typically using Amex, Visa or Mastercard?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by 747FC
Typically using Amex, Visa or Mastercard?
using Visa and UnionPay normally, Mastercard for contactless transaction
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:29 am

I was, for the first time, offered DCC in Japan -- several times during my last trip. However, a quote slip was always presented and the choice was entered on the terminal before the transaction concluded and the copy I signed showed the JPY price. There was also one instance where the quote slip was printed and the cashier chose JPY without even showing me the quote slip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.