Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
Were you able to opt out successfully? My data points in the US are limited because we only have one non-USD card at home. We never use it since there is a currency exchange fee, and the card doesn't accumulate rewards.
yes i was. When it pops up the clerks are usually clueless and a gentle nudge on the right direction helps.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
HK also doesn't have the tipping culture that the US does. A few instances of servers getting stiffed due to the terminal prohibiting tip adjust (not saying that this is happening, but per MC rules it is possible) would probably either get restaurants to disable PIN entirely or simply stop accepting such cards. Of course, that becomes less viable the more of those cards that exist.

Alternatively I suppose they could just rerun the transaction and let customers enter the tip on the terminal but I haven't really seen that happening unless it's something already customer-facing.
actually the spa i frequent has pin preferring terminals and the way it works is the same as it is for signature-chip us cards. I get the receipt write the tip in manually and they do a post adjust. The only difference is instead of asking for a signature it says no sig required pin verified. Isnt it also against merchant requirements to authorize for the possible tip?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mdbe
actually the spa i frequent has pin preferring terminals and the way it works is the same as it is for signature-chip us cards. I get the receipt write the tip in manually and they do a post adjust. The only difference is instead of asking for a signature it says no sig required pin verified. Isnt it also against merchant requirements to authorize for the possible tip?
Mastercard in theory doesn't allow tip adjust (writing the tip down on the receipt after authorization) for anything other than card not present and chip/swipe and signature (source):

I believe the other networks do allow tip adjust with PIN transactions, however, though I could be wrong on that. That said, US issuers of PIN preferring cards could be allowing tip adjust in spite of the rules.

EDIT: Visa and AmEx seem to allow tip adjust for PIN transactions. Discover might not per this document, but I haven't been able to find their official rules to confirm. It might not matter either way, however, due to there being no third party Discover issuers that I know of (and their self-issued cards being signature-only).

Last edited by tmiw; Dec 25, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 25, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mdbe

yes i was. When it pops up the clerks are usually clueless and a gentle nudge on the right direction helps.
Yes, I imagine it is not common to see a non-USD denominated card at such a location. Even at the major retailers in big cities, cashiers aren't familiar when the prompt comes up.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:22 pm

Actually it is USD and EUR denominated. i.e. if i spend 12.15USD for lunch and Mom’s Cafe, at the end of the month i have to pay 12.15USD in the billing country.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

I checked out of the Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport and was presented with DCC, as expected. The rate is now at 4.36% over Visa's, and I was offered a charge of $384.04 on a bill of NT$11,000. The posted transaction was $367.22, so $16.82 saved.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by beep88
PUTIEN 莆田 at Lee Theatre Plaza. using a Diners Club (MasterCard). Waitress took the card, came back with a printed slip with the total in CAD. I asked why it is in CAD and she gave some BS explanation trying to get me to sign.

That's why I use AMEX as much as possible. Never had DCC issue. Most places I shop and eat at take it, if they take credit cards at all. But in general, yes, AMEX is less accepted.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like it was a thermal slip versus the Artone carbon copies?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
品川製麺所 新宿二丁目店 Shinagawa Seimenjo (Shinjuku_2_Chome branch) Tokyo

DCC was offered on the terminal, using Diners Club (MasterCard), with English instructions. But the button to decline DCC leads to cancellation of the transaction. Given my lack of Japanese, bill had to be settled in cash.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
品川製麺所 新宿二丁目店 Shinagawa Seimenjo (Shinjuku_2_Chome branch) Tokyo

DCC was offered on the terminal, using Diners Club (MasterCard), with English instructions. But the button to decline DCC leads to cancellation of the transaction. Given my lack of Japanese, bill had to be settled in cash.
Interesting. Mrs. Majuki and I finished a four day trip around Tokyo. I saw a couple of instances of DCC, but I was always presented with a quote slip. The cashier would make the selection, and I was able to opt out every time. It seems like you've encountered the mandatory DCC like percysmith did up in Sapporo.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Using Android pay and got hit with DCC at a major chain (Sphinx) in Poland. Why is it only restaurants that do this shady stuff? Never got DCC at a grocery store it anything

Anyway - receipt says "I was offered choice of currencies blah blah" with a ...... exchange 2 cente over plus 3%.

Will dispute with BOA this time. These people need too be reported, this is getting annoying
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I might of found a workaround for the DCC . Android Pay. Been using it the past few weeks in Poland with my Chase USA visa and it never asked once if I want to pay in USD instead of PLN. Defaults straight to PLN and these are the same terminals that I was having issues with before.
I can say they must have found a way around it . Just git forced DCC tonight
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by aGeist
I can say they must have found a way around it . Just git forced DCC tonight
Yup. It seems that I also had DCC via Android Pay. So I resolved to physically holding the terminal and doing pin+sign. I can then myself X the DCC
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aGeist
Why is it only restaurants that do this shady stuff? Never got DCC at a grocery store it anything
Let us know B of A's DCC process. Chase seems to have streamlined it over the last few years.

I know of one case where there was DCC at a grocery store in India, but there are no rules when it comes to where you'll find DCC. That being said, I've generally found DCC to be nonexistent at large chain supermarkets. DCC for the locations where it is prevalent typically shows up at hotels, airport duty free shops, and some restaurants. However, I've seen two similar restaurants where one has DCC and the other does not. I also think part of the prevalence of DCC has to do with the likelihood of seeing a card with a different currency denomination.

For instance, I haven't done extensive testing in the US, but I'm genuinely curious which big box retailers have DCC. Most of my data points are from 3 years ago. While I did find two cases of DCC at retail clothing stores, both terminals presented a choice, and opting out was easy. Furthermore, from the cashier pausing, it didn't seem like the cashier had input or even necessarily awareness that DCC was happening. I have a Canadian friend who hasn't seen DCC with his card across hotels (Starwood) and restaurants, and he travels to the US fairly regularly.

Mrs. Majuki has a single non-USD denominated card, but she's not too inclined to use it since the card has no rewards and has a currency exchange fee.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
For instance, I haven't done extensive testing in the US, but I'm genuinely curious which big box retailers have DCC. Most of my data points are from 3 years ago. While I did find two cases of DCC at retail clothing stores, both terminals presented a choice, and opting out was easy. Furthermore, from the cashier pausing, it didn't seem like the cashier had input or even necessarily awareness that DCC was happening. I have a Canadian friend who hasn't seen DCC with his card across hotels (Starwood) and restaurants, and he travels to the US fairly regularly.

Mrs. Majuki has a single non-USD denominated card, but she's not too inclined to use it since the card has no rewards and has a currency exchange fee.
Not "big box" per se but as mentioned before, I think Baskin-Robbins (and maybe Dunkin' Donuts too since they're the same company) does DCC based on the receipts I've seen.

As for restaurants, I doubt they'll ever do DCC thanks to our dislike of pay at the table making performing it per Visa/MC rules impossible (or at least with enough hassle to make it not worthwhile).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.