Which credit card is commonly accepted in HK ? VISA/MC/AMEX/DISC
Old Dec 12, 17, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by iexpert View Post
Which credit card is commonly accepted in HK ? VISA/MC/AMEX/DISC
Hi,

Certainly Visa/MC/Amex are accepted at a lot of larger stores ( not sure about Discovery as I do not use it) with Visa/MC being more popular than Amex (but that is the case in the UK also) but it can be useful to have cash with you

The smaller stores may not take them but if you load up your octopus card ( for transport etc you can use it at some shops)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Visa and MC are always at the top. Then Discover (as Union Pay).

AMEX is always the worst.
Old Dec 12, 17, 9:58 pm

Can't remember the last time I used my AMEX in a Hong Kong store.
Old Dec 12, 17, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
The introduction of Paywave (and whatever the Mastercard equivalent is) triggered 7-Eleven to finally start accepting credit cards also (previously they were cash or Octopus). So they are now very widely accepted (particularly in places tourists are likely to go).
Note, of course, that taxis are still (with a few exceptions) cash only.
Old Dec 13, 17, 4:24 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by christep View Post
The introduction of Paywave (and whatever the Mastercard equivalent is) triggered 7-Eleven to finally start accepting credit cards also (previously they were cash or Octopus). So they are now very widely accepted (particularly in places tourists are likely to go).
Just an addendum:
Some non-HK issued VISA and MC might not work with HK contactless payment systems.
Old Dec 13, 17, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting. I assumed that the system was global. But I guess there will be different payment limits. I know that I can go up to HK$1000 at least on Paywave with my HSBC (HK) Visa card.
Old Dec 13, 17, 6:09 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It's not the limit but the issuing bands.

My Canadian HSBC (linked to my HK Premier) and BMO works but RBC Visa doesn't. CIBC Visa works.
Old Dec 18, 17, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I used Uber a couple of times rather than use taxis when I last visited a couple of years ago, because of the cash vs. credit card issue.

The cars were nice and clean BMWs and Mercedes for UberX, way cleaner compared to the taxis.

I was able to use Apple Pay a couple of times but of course Octopus prevents credit cards from getting a bigger hold in HK, let alone mobile payments.

Still no plans to support Apple Pay directly on transport, I would imagine?
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Still no plans to support Apple Pay directly on transport, I would imagine?
Unless the processing time of Apple Pay can be as fast as Octopus then this would be a nightmare for the MTR system. It seems to me, by observation, that when people make Apple Pay transactions they are far, far slower than Octopus. The MTR system would a horrendous mess if everyone had to wait even an extra 3 seconds to get through the ticket barriers!

Apple Pay (and Android Pay) is widely accepted in less time-sensitive situations - all supermarkets, convenience stores and so on. But Apple has a small proportion of the mobile phone market (even in HK, where it is higher than most) - why should I use my phone to pay when we already have a superior and perfectly functional Octopus system?
Old Dec 19, 17, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
American credit cards offer rewards.

In fact, I think Chase Freedom is going to offer 5X UR points next quarter on mobile payments.

TFL manages Apple Pay and other contactless payments and I think they have greater number of daily riders than the MTR?
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Unless the processing time of Apple Pay can be as fast as Octopus then this would be a nightmare for the MTR system. It seems to me, by observation, that when people make Apple Pay transactions they are far, far slower than Octopus. The MTR system would a horrendous mess if everyone had to wait even an extra 3 seconds to get through the ticket barriers!

Apple Pay (and Android Pay) is widely accepted in less time-sensitive situations - all supermarkets, convenience stores and so on. But Apple has a small proportion of the mobile phone market (even in HK, where it is higher than most) - why should I use my phone to pay when we already have a superior and perfectly functional Octopus system?
That's why with HK local Samsung Pay you can add an Octopus, so you can get the best of both world!
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL

In fact, I think Chase Freedom is going to offer 5X UR points next quarter on mobile payments.

TFL manages Apple Pay and other contactless payments and I think they have greater number of daily riders than the MTR?
The difference is London Tube (at the entrance gate) has a less gate-to-people ratio. You know that they can't cut it when Apple Pay gave up in Japan and opt for SUICA (plus that there are simply too many card transit operator in Japan, SUICA, PASMO, ICOCA, PiTaPa, etc)

For London, from my personal understanding, is that the number of tourist in town causing huge issues with Oyster Card that they decide it's enough, and go for Visa / Master solution instead.
Old Dec 20, 17, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be surprised to know that HK ones do as well! I get miles on my Octopus card use through auto-reloading from my credit card.
Old Dec 20, 17, 2:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends

You may be surprised to know that HK ones do as well! I get miles on my Octopus card use through auto-reloading from my credit card.
What got me coming up to FT in the first place:

Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2017
https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/4979

Search this Thread