Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
I agree. Irish merchants even DCC Euro denominated accounts based in other EU countries. In my case, it was a UK debit card linked to a Euro account.
I think that terminals only can identify the country of issue but not the currency of the card. This probably means that all UK cards are identified as GBP cards by the terminals, despite a small percentage of them being denominated in other currencies.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Some person
I think that terminals only can identify the country of issue but not the currency of the card. This probably means that all UK cards are identified as GBP cards by the terminals, despite a small percentage of them being denominated in other currencies.
IIRC the currency is on the chip too. It could be that the Euro denominated British cards are set up so that GBP is given to the terminal despite how they behave otherwise.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It's impossible to DCC a Euro denominated card if the native currency is Euros.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
It's impossible to DCC a Euro denominated card if the native currency is Euros.
Of course, but if the terminal thinks the card's actually in GBP (since the currency code on the chip isn't set to Euro), it'll attempt DCC. Accepting DCC then results in a double conversion (merchant conversion to GBP followed by issuer conversion back to Euro).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
the intl cards I use are denominated in the local currency, EUR and USD. (i.e. i get three account statements for the same account monthy) never had dcc popup in europe. But have it regularly in the US.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdbe

the intl cards I use are denominated in the local currency, EUR and USD. (i.e. i get three account statements for the same account monthy).....
Interesting. Who is the issuer of your card?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
Of course, but if the terminal thinks the card's actually in GBP (since the currency code on the chip isn't set to Euro), it'll attempt DCC. Accepting DCC then results in a double conversion (merchant conversion to GBP followed by issuer conversion back to Euro).
I believe a card can only have one currency field, so if it's one of these multiple currency cards, such as Revolut, it might still be subject to DCC. If you have a EUR native card (no other currency option), you wouldn't see the DCC prompts.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:07 am

I have a Revolut card which I haven't really used in the States. Anyone know of any bigger chains that might have DCC? I could go and use the Revolut there to see if the prompt occurs - just to experiment. I have a USD account there as well as EUR and PLN. Would be curious to test it out and report back.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur
I have a Revolut card which I haven't really used in the States. Anyone know of any bigger chains that might have DCC? I could go and use the Revolut there to see if the prompt occurs - just to experiment. I have a USD account there as well as EUR and PLN. Would be curious to test it out and report back.
Someone mentioned Best Buy above. I'm not sure about any others as I only have USD cards.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barciur
Some Best Buy stores (but not all) have it. I've seen it at Kate Spade and Forever 21 as well. We only have a single card that's not USD denominated in house, which has a fee and no rewards, so we're not too inclined to try it to test for DCC in the US.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 am

I will be on the lookout whenever I use it and see how it is. My friend from Poland is also visiting with a "USD" only card, issued by a Polish bank, so I wonder if there is a possibility of DCC there at all. We'll be on the lookout for both.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pay attention to the wording. Ebay specifies the spread, but most others specify the fee. You get the fee by dividing the spread by two.

If you specify a fee, then you can charge an additional fee by using a reference rate which already contains an unspecified fee, so the real fee can be a lot higher than the disclosed fee.

If you specify a spread, then you can't use this trick as you are referencing your own buying and selling rates rather than a reference rate.

In this case, the total fee was 3.3%, and the spread was 6.6%. If Ebay claimed to be using a spread of 3%, but used a spread of 6.6%, this sounds like false marketing.
To update, the charge posted as $47.51 (€0.88402 to $1), so eBay/PayPal's rate was 3.1% higher than what Chase used. Though wouldn't their fee be more like 1.55% (3.1/2) given what you said before? Or did you mean multiply by two instead of divide by two?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
To update, the charge posted as $47.51 (€0.88402 to $1), so eBay/PayPal's rate was 3.1% higher than what Chase used. Though wouldn't their fee be more like 1.55% (3.1/2) given what you said before? Or did you mean multiply by two instead of divide by two?
If the spread is 3%, then the fee is 1.5%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bid%E2...Percent_spread
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Argh, last week I was DCCed at Europcar in Munich. The agent stuck my CSR Visa in a new terminal they have now to capture the credit card information and rapidly pressed buttons to get things done... I briefly saw the USD question but she was to fast. The rental contract mentioned something about the card currency and I asked her to fix it. Since I was in a rush I didn't have the patience and she insisted I would be charged in Euro. Sure enough the invoice says:

Zahlung Visa 4147********7779-39.63 EURRechnungsbetrag in Kreditkartenwährung: 46.10 USDEUR/USD Datenquelle Reuters 1.16332 (Inklusive Umrechnungsgebühr 3.25%)
So instead of the interbank rate of 1.128 and a 44.70US$ charge they hit me with 1.163 and 46.10$ Disputed it today with Chase, who will refund me the 1.40 as usual, but its still annoying.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Argh, last week I was DCCed at Europcar in Munich.
Your profile states "Location: MUC" but you still got DCC in Munich? Weird. Usually it only pops up when you are abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.