Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
I might of found a workaround for the DCC . Android Pay. Been using it the past few weeks in Poland with my Chase USA visa and it never asked once if I want to pay in USD instead of PLN. Defaults straight to PLN and these are the same terminals that I was having issues with before.
Contacless DCC is becoming more common. I have seen it widespread in Spain. The currency choice is made after the card is tapped.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Contacless DCC is becoming more common. I have seen it widespread in Spain. The currency choice is made after the card is tapped.
That's scary. Like chip and signature, it removes the chance for the customer to approve the final total.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I believe there was one case of this at ZRH too. At least with a chip-and-signature transaction you can refuse to sign the receipt or mark it as "DCC refused".
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:20 pm

That is weird. I haven't used card in Spain in a while (haven't been there in 4 years). I do remember being a moron back in 2009 and allowing the Spanish bank to charge me in GBP for a Euro withdrawal, I bet I ended up getting a really bad exchange rate.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think this is Visa Europe (PSR-402):

● In the AP, Canada, CEMEA, LAC, and US Regions, statement that the Cardholder has been offered a choice of currencies for payment and expressly agrees to the Transaction Receipt information by marking an “accept” box on the Transaction Receipt
● In the Europe Region, statement, easily visible to the Cardholder, that the Cardholder has been offered a choice of currencies for payment (including the local currency of the Merchant Outlet) and that the currency selected by the Cardholder is the Transaction Currency
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I believe there was one case of this at ZRH too. At least with a chip-and-signature transaction you can refuse to sign the receipt or mark it as "DCC refused".
I would imagine that a contactless transaction using DCC would be fairly easy to dispute too, no?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I would imagine that a contactless transaction using DCC would be fairly easy to dispute too, no?
If there is a signature waiver or device verified transaction, how would you be able to contest the transaction to voice your dissent? It would be the merchant's word against yours.

At least with a signature receipt you can refuse to sign or deface the "I have been offered a choice of..." wording and write DCC REFUSED! before taking a photo and signing.

There are reports that the Pays successfully dodge DCC but a contactless transaction with a card supporting contactless is still susceptible to DCC. I used Android Pay fairly liberally in Italy along with my CSR and didn't see any DCC, including at the duty free at FCO. For hotels, I used the SPG AmEx, so there wasn't DCC. I tried - and was denied - at Fortnum & Mason LHR that trip the opportunity to use Android Pay, so I couldn't see if I could bypass DCC.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
If there is a signature waiver or device verified transaction, how would you be able to contest the transaction to voice your dissent? It would be the merchant's word against yours.
Or better, a simple absence of an accept box on merchant slip is prima facie non-compliance of the merchant.

So I'm a bit worried about Visa Europe rules. But I'm far more worried about my trip routing.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sintaku
That is weird. I haven't used card in Spain in a while (haven't been there in 4 years). I do remember being a moron back in 2009 and allowing the Spanish bank to charge me in GBP for a Euro withdrawal, I bet I ended up getting a really bad exchange rate.
I saw it quite a bit back in January (on a UK issued Mastercard). I was in Spain again last week and only used my new Visa credit card in a Mercadona supermarket. DCC offered after contactless each time.

Usual scenario: two currencies offered on touch screen, GBP in green, EUR in red. Choose EUR, another screen where you have to confirm. Again, green for DCC, red for no DCC.

Fortunately, you are in control of the machine during the whole transaction in Mercadona, since it is fixed to the checkout. The worrying times are when a portable machine is being used.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....DCC offered after contactless each time.

Usual scenario: two currencies offered on touch screen, GBP in green, EUR in red. Choose EUR, another screen where you have to confirm. Again, green for DCC, red for no DCC......
Was DCC choice on your phone screen or screen of touch terminal?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Was DCC choice on your phone screen or screen of touch terminal?
The screen of the card terminal.

The phone (at least in the case of Android) only becomes aware of the transaction amount when it receives notification of the authorisation from the cardholder's bank (via the mobile network or wifi).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by emilio911
PayPal and Ebay have now stopped to worry about DCC (see https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/.../920926/page/8 ) . They are now charging people in their home currency without asking.
Actually I came to this forum because I noticed a new worrying trend on transactions performed on my HSBC credit cards in Singapore.

I'm using eBay Singapore and pay a flat S$5 monthly fee (in local currency, on a local CC) to eBay Singapore. I've been billed like for years without any issue.

Now HSBC is adding a 1% DCC FEE on each transaction claiming that it's an international transaction and that I should pay fees on it.

Same for Buyee/Tenso from Japan sending an invoice in USD to my Singapore USD CC: suddenly a brand new DCC FEE on no FX conversion at all is being applied from nowhere.

I claimed these fees back to HSBC and they say that, from now on, any non-local entity billing in the local currency will get DCC FEE'd on top of the normal costs.

DC means conversion right? There's none here.
Are we moving back to a world where you can only use your country currency in your own country??

And of course not a single warning that the bank policy has been updated at no point in time.

Their statement:
The DCC fee is levied when you select to pay in Singapore Dollars when transacting with certain overseas merchants, website and/or mobile applications. This includes but is not limited to any credit card transactions performed locally in Singapore dollars with merchants, websites and/or mobile applications whose payments are processed overseas. DCC fee is a charge that is levied by the relevant credit card schemes (i.e. Visa or MasterCard) and the Bank simply bills the fee on behalf of the credit card schemes. You can check with the merchant or website operator before making your purchase to ascertain if payments are processed overseas and whether DCC fee will be charged. This fee is non-waivable.
Julien
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by generikz
The DCC fee is levied when you select to pay in Singapore Dollars when transacting with certain overseas merchants, website and/or mobile applications. This includes but is not limited to any credit card transactions performed locally in Singapore dollars with merchants, websites and/or mobile applications whose payments are processed overseas. DCC fee is a charge that is levied by the relevant credit card schemes (i.e. Visa or MasterCard) and the Bank simply bills the fee on behalf of the credit card schemes. You can check with the merchant or website operator before making your purchase to ascertain if payments are processed overseas and whether DCC fee will be charged. This fee is non-waivable.
Citi HK has a similar problem conflating DCC with cross-border transaction/foreign transaction in 2014 https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/12797 #1 .

They backtracked somewhat a year later http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...-1/pdf/NOA.pdf

But it still confused the heck out of us - even in May 2017 Citi CS (and I, unfortunately) got confused over which definition should apply https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/21937 #1 and #6

Hongkies have penchant for using DCC as a convenient abbreviation for what is better described as a cross-border fee
https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum.../11968?page=27 #269
https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/12874 #3
https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum...w/17400?page=3 #24

DC means conversion right? There's none here.
Are we moving back to a world where you can only use your country currency in your own country??
Citi HK and HSBC SG are both technically wrong
What they described is not DCC - it's better described as foreign transaction, cross-border transaction etc.
However, since they have created their own definition of DCC, we are bound by that definition through using their cards.

LchChester asked what's the difference - especially since some merchants practice multi-currency conversion with surcharge (Airbnb) while some payment processors use multi-currency conversion to offer currency selection on their card-present terminals (Valoot)

I noted in the case of "real" DCC, a currency selection has been offered or should have been offered, and a Reason Code 76/4846 chargeback is available.

It seems that Citi HK does have the ability to distinguish now https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/21937 #8 , so I don't get why banks like HSBC SG have to conflate.

DCC fee is a charge that is levied by the relevant credit card schemes (i.e. Visa or MasterCard) and the Bank simply bills the fee on behalf of the credit card schemes
I'm pretty sure Mastercard charges at least 0.8%. Some banks claim it's 1% now.
I'm not that sure Visa is doing it even though some banks claim they are https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/11968 . HKMA has not taken action against those claims for now and I doubt MAS will be any better.

P.S. HSBC HK does not collect cross-border fee. And if they do, they definitely need to give 30 days' notice here as a change of banking T&C.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by percysmith
HKMA has not taken action against those claims for now and I doubt MAS will be any better.
Thank you for the very details reply/status.

I will try a temporary work-around by moving the billing in SGD to Paypal SG that will ultimately charge it back to the same CC, although from a possibly local entity (Paypal SG).

Same for Buyee, I will only use my Paypal USA account to settle USD invoices from Japan.

I will lose the CC points but I save 1%. HSBC's loss, Paypal's gain.

Julien
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:08 pm

I will try a temporary work-around by moving the billing in SGD to Paypal SG that will ultimately charge it back to the same CC, although from a possibly local entity (Paypal SG).
Think that'll work, Paypal seems to centralise a lot in Singapore (work has been looking into opening a merchant account with Paypal for reasons I do not wish to elaborate, and we've been given tax advise to *not* collect it via Singapore. We're going to meet with Paypal Hong Kong to see if that's possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.