Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by diburning
So, in Safeway's New England division, the EMV update was rolled out to all stores today instead of a staggered rollout. Contactless payments run as EMV don't even show a cash back prompt if everything is working properly. I haven't seen any external changes to any of the screens or processing time.
How do debit cards in Apple/Google Pay behave? Do they force debit pin or not?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'll have to take a look and/or give it a try myself.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by D582
So Chase is updating its Marriott cards in mid-late February as part of the Bonvoy rebrand, with contactless shown in the image of the new card. I wonder if the remaining Chase cards will get it around this time?
As luck would have it, CSR, CSP, and Southwest cards are now available
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
As luck would have it, CSR, CSP, and Southwest cards are now available
Maybe there was something to that wonkiness with online banking the other day after all (despite Chase claiming to the contrary).

Anyway, I requested a replacement CSR online. Should be interesting to see if it's still metal or if they went to plastic.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am not sure anyone here mentioned the Visa ad featuring CVS for contactless.

Yes, the fact that CVS was not a great supporter until very recently is not lost of many here. It is too bad Walgreens couldn't have secured the co-brand placement - the Chase team in Illinois should have made that happen as Visa's best frenemy. Yes, it is the Chase Freedom Unlimited card being used for the tap.

The next auto-play video is also about contactless and Visa's perspective. A lot of interesting notes including a reminder that merchants came ahead of issuers in supporting contactless. There are still a lot of major US banks who are sitting on the sidelines including Bank of America, Discover, Citi, Synchrony and Barclays.

Last edited by rasheed; Jan 25, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
The next auto-play video is also about contactless and Visa's perspective. A lot of interesting notes including a reminder that merchants came ahead of issuers in supporting contactless. There are still a lot of major US banks who are sitting on the sidelines including Bank of America, Discover, Citi, Synchrony and Barclays.
What the Visa representative forgets to mention is that many of those merchants implemented contactless primarily to support mobile wallets (specifically Apple Pay). Without Apple's involvement, I suspect we'd have a lot less support for contactless in this country right now.

As for the others not implementing it (yet?), it's no surprise. To them, it failed the first time around, so why put in the effort until they're sure people will go for it this time?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
What the Visa representative forgets to mention is that many of those merchants implemented contactless primarily to support mobile wallets (specifically Apple Pay). Without Apple's involvement, I suspect we'd have a lot less support for contactless in this country right now.

As for the others not implementing it (yet?), it's no surprise. To them, it failed the first time around, so why put in the effort until they're sure people will go for it this time?
If we didn’t wait until 2015 to have EMV, we would have already had Contactless I believe because chip would have been too slow. I think for the stores like Costco turning on Contactless, to them even quick chip is too slow.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
If we didn’t wait until 2015 to have EMV, we would have already had Contactless I believe because chip would have been too slow. I think for the stores like Costco turning on Contactless, to them even quick chip is too slow.
Not necessarily. Assuming we got it at the same time as the UK, most of the hardware installed at that time would likely only have gotten replaced around the 2013-14 timeframe anyway. And even if the stuff installed then had NFC support you'd still have to deal with certifications and such, which they might be less willing to do if there's nothing to use it.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 am

I called about my CSR yesterday and was told contactless is now available. I ordered a replacement card and should have it by the first part of this next week. Anyone verify this is now available, any pictures or info about the contactless CSR??
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choff5507
I called about my CSR yesterday and was told contactless is now available. I ordered a replacement card and should have it by the first part of this next week. Anyone verify this is now available, any pictures or info about the contactless CSR??
On another forum, someone claimed that their contactless CSP is still metal. Should be interesting to see how well it works compared to tapping plastic cards.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:57 am

So I went to four Targets yesterday and none had contactless enabled yet so maybe it will work in a few weeks. I did notice that the chip is slower than Kroger so they really need contactless at Target. I also noticed that many people were scanning the code in the Target app. A Passport Phillips 66 that previously only had chip now has contactless but only msd still same as any P66/Conoco Passport locations.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
On another forum, someone claimed that their contactless CSP is still metal. Should be interesting to see how well it works compared to tapping plastic cards.
Wouldn't be surprised if that were true - if AMEX can have contactless with their metal Gold cards, then Chase should be able to as well.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by choff5507
I just read about contactless CSR but I had been using the non contactless CSR card via Google Pay on my phone since Dec. It seems to work everywhere in Europe... as they just use one of the little terminal and it takes Google Pay. The only country that it didn't seem to work well is Paris. Half of the time, it will look like it was successful with the check mark, but then the terminal will say rejected and a few seconds later I got a refund on the Google pay. Using the chip on the card works. Not sure if the card has contactless, would it still get rejected like Google Pay.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Wouldn't be surprised if that were true - if AMEX can have contactless with their metal Gold cards, then Chase should be able to as well.
At least for AmEx it seems to require that you tap a specific side of the card vs. working with both. We'll see in any case.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I don't remember Grocery Outlet saying "PIN verified" when I used Visa last time. Did they do a software update after the one that enabled EMV contactless, or has it always said that? See below.

BTW, still no contactless at several Target locations here as well. I'm not sure how often the Google Pay app's nearby stores list updates, however, so I suppose it's possible there are some.

EDIT: I just realized that I may have tapped my physical Chase card last time, so of course it wouldn't say it for that. (Though maybe if Chase or some other bank bothers to roll out biometric cards, that could change in the future.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.