Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Though passing up this churnable Aviator card seems like a big sacrifice just to qualify for a Chase card sometime in the future....
Well, that's complex to evaluate, since it depends on how many AA miles you have versus how many UA miles (which require Chase cards) you have versus how easily you can redeem for where you're going with AA miles versus how easily you can redeem for where you're going with UA miles.

In my case (light-to-modest churner), I've opted to apply for nothing but business cards (that don't report their accounts to EQ/EX/TU) until I get below 5/24 enough to apply for my first United card in several years. It's been more than a year since I've applied for a personal card, but in that time I've applied for half a dozen or so business cards. (One business card required $8k spend over 6 months so it kept me busier with minimum spend a lot longer than usual, given that all my spend is "natural".)

Btw, I've noticed that the business Aviator card does not have the 10% rebate on redemptions, but that's capped at 10k a year also, so once again, one business card every 4 years would make up for the loss of that rebate! @:-) Plus I don't even max out the 10k every year, so it'd be even more of a savings to apply for even just the business card. (And I don't necessarily have to cancel the personal card to apply for the business card.)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:37 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The only gamble I see with the cancellation and renewal is if Barclay's adds sign up restrictions like many other banks are implementing. There's no guarantee that in 4 years you'll still be eligible for a new sign up bonus. I'm with you, though... I'll take that gamble.

Our family has 3 Aviator Reds that were converted from US Airways cards. So they are each about 3-4 years old. I cancelled one this morning, the one that doesn't have a 10K anniversary perk. The other one that was up for renewal got a waived fee and small 5K spend bonus, so it was kept for another year.

In the past, I've been very pleased with the random spend bonuses, which included utility spend bonuses. The spend xxx for 3 month and get bonus points was a great deal for us, and kept the cards in use. That utility bonus category doesn't show up in any other card in our wallets and we maxed it out every time we had it. Now, the spend bonus is watered down (get 2x points per $1000 x 3 months, plus 5K at the end), and there's no guarantee that you'll get the offer, anyway. Of our 3 cards, only one got that particular bonus, and we missed the first month's spend, so, whatever...

The other issue is that 10K points ain't what it used to be. For years, that was half way to a Europe redemption, or an easy to find domestic one way. Now, domestic saver space is sparse and international 1 ways can be 30, 40, even 70K. They want to get the consumer back to a lifetime of spending (and paying the card renewal fees and hopefully big interest charges) for that dream trip. The game has changed. We're changing with it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Just received the Aviator Card. Made a few purchases and statement closes on the 16th. I was told miles can take 4-6 weeks to post to account. Anyone have data points on how fast 60,000 miles post after statement close. I have award travel I want to make but it is dependent on the miles posting as I am about 20,000 miles short right now. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Just received the Aviator Card. Made a few purchases and statement closes on the 16th. I was told miles can take 4-6 weeks to post to account. Anyone have data points on how fast 60,000 miles post after statement close. I have award travel I want to make but it is dependent on the miles posting as I am about 20,000 miles short right now. Thanks in advance.
This is YMMV. SO got the miles on the very next statement whereas it took 2 cycles for me to get mine.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Too late. I was going to suggest.

Pay your $95 asap. Probably pay off the card. At least 7-10 days before your closing cycle and you should get your miles a few days after the 16th.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:05 pm

Card Approval: 10/12
Payment: 11/5 (as soon as my two purchases and annual fee posted)
Statement Closing Date: 11/12
Miles Posted to AA Account: 11/12

Much better than I expected. It certainly seems that early payment expedited matters!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

First purchase made September 28. Account balance (first purchase + annual fee) paid on October 3. Statement closed October 11. My AA account shows 60k miles posted on October 11. The miles posted same day (quickest of any signup bonuses I've done).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: free agent
My AF gonna hit few weeks later, and I called Barclays about downgrade Aviator Red card to no-fee card. Representative said he couldn't do it, so should I wait till AF post or it's something Barclays refuse to do? No interest to keep Red aviator for another year since I never use this card.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
My bonus miles posted the same day my first billing cycle closed, Nov. 16th. As soon as my cc arrived I made a purchase and within a week from then I paid the AF. It all worked like a charm.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
How do you pay the fee if it hasn't posted to your account? My fee didn't show up on my bill until the second month. If you just put the extra fee amount on the card without it showing on the bill yet, will that pay it?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:04 am

I've got 60k bonus posted on friday. Don't really need the card, have a plat one with Citi. Any downsides in closing the account? AF posted on 9/29, so if I close soon I'll probably get that refunded too.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I've got 60k bonus posted on friday. Don't really need the card, have a plat one with Citi. Any downsides in closing the account? AF posted on 9/29, so if I close soon I'll probably get that refunded too.
There's two separate questions, here, and they have different answers. Downsides to closing now and refunding the AF? Yes. Downsides to waiting a while and closing after paying the AF? Not so much.

It depends if you ever want more cards from Barclay. If you keep this cards a few months, then cancel it, then wait a few months, you may be able to get another 60k for another AF.

If you cancel and ask for the AF refunded, don't expect them to take too kindly to you repeating that in a few months.

Always evaluate an action as to whether it'll make the bank "hate" you or not, in light of whether you might want to apply again for a card from that bank or not.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sorry if already posted, but here is the business version:

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:48 pm

It looks like this has been extended:
This is a limited-time offer and will no longer be available after January 31, 2018
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sorry if already posted, but here is the business version:

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html
The Business card has it's own thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...l#post29041437

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.