Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:38 pm

I have an Arrival card, and plan to cancel it before applying for an Aviator card to increase the chances of an automatic approval. How long does it normally take for the credit from a cancelled card to go "back into the pool?"
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA
The wife had very little love from Barclays during the US Airways days, had only one approval in 2013 then denied beyond that. Card was closed back in 2014.

As of now the wife has ~800 FICO score, no other cards open with Barclays, instant approval for the 60k offer.

Now I'm tempted to apply but I still have my Aviator Red from 2 years ago...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by travelin_lite
Current DP: Just earned my second bonus - 40kAA the first time (Late 2016) and 60k AA the second time. The first card was closed for a little over a month before applying for the new card. 60kAA shows earned on first statement with new card.
Do you have any other Barclay cards currently open while applying for the 60k AA? This also seems to be a key point.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by gameover98
The wife had very little love from Barclays during the US Airways days, had only one approval in 2013 then denied beyond that. Card was closed back in 2014.

As of now the wife has ~800 FICO score, no other cards open with Barclays, instant approval for the 60k offer.

Now I'm tempted to apply but I still have my Aviator Red from 2 years ago...

Doesn't hurt to try applying. From what I know, a hardpull isn't done with a denial (don't quote me on this though as I'm not 100% sure). And as a dp, I have an Aviator Red that was opened in December 2016 (still have it) and got approved on September 18 for another Aviator Red.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
Doesn't hurt to try applying. From what I know, a hardpull isn't done with a denial (don't quote me on this though as I'm not 100% sure). And as a dp, I have an Aviator Red that was opened in December 2016 (still have it) and got approved on September 18 for another Aviator Red.
Woah, I've met a unicorn.

I got the Aviator Red in January of this year (first Barclays experience ever) and I still have it. Got a nice, fat deny from Barclays literally 1 month ago on an Arrival+ app (not that I am unique with this) and my TransUnion hard pull from the deny still shows.

Normally I don't care about TU too much, but I'm already up to 4 in less than a year from the 2 Barclays, a T-Mobile inquiry, and Chase somehow pulled it on me!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:57 pm

I have an Aviator Red that was opened in December 2016 (still have it) and got approved on September 18 for another Aviator Red.
Did you have any other Barclay cards open (besides the original Aviator) when you got approved for the 2nd Aviator?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by muji
Did you have any other Barclay cards open (besides the original Aviator) when you got approved for the 2nd Aviator?

I applied for the US Airways card roughly a week before new card applications were closed (I think around March 2015). That was autochanged to the Aviator Red. I can't remember when but I cancelled that a couple months after I got the bonus.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Woah, I've met a unicorn.

I got the Aviator Red in January of this year (first Barclays experience ever) and I still have it. Got a nice, fat deny from Barclays literally 1 month ago on an Arrival+ app (not that I am unique with this) and my TransUnion hard pull from the deny still shows.

Normally I don't care about TU too much, but I'm already up to 4 in less than a year from the 2 Barclays, a T-Mobile inquiry, and Chase somehow pulled it on me!
The "hard pull not done on denial", if indeed always true, only applies to recent "instant" denials for a second Aviator while having a first Aviator still open.

A hard pull is certainly done for (almost?) all other kinds of denials.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The "hard pull not done on denial", if indeed always true, only applies to recent "instant" denials for a second Aviator while having a first Aviator still open.

Thanks! Certainly explains things.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Data points.

I had the US Airways card which was later converted to Aviator. I closed this card in July. Applied today for the new one got instant approval.

My wife also had the same US Air card that was converted to Aviator. She closed hers in Jan 2017 and also got instant approval as well. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch

This is VERY TRUE.

On top of that, since 3rd week of Sept there is virtual no success DP on the approval of 2nd Aviator while still have one without going thru recon (with mixed results).

I honestly think people whether posting or reading, should pay close attention on the timeline of events when it comes to the approval of a second Aviator while still holding the existing one. All success DPs before late Sept can basically discarded, as the norm now is instant denial. Some can get it overturn by calling recon which all depends on which agent you get / how many HUCA you are willing to go thru. A friend has the US Airway turned Aviator Red for 4 years. He just got an instant denial. The first call to recon was unsuccessful. Since he has a trip to go (left yesterday for EU), he decided to let it cool until returning from trip.

Not having an Aviator now, even though the cancellation is within this year, seems to still work to get the current offer IF you do not have Barclays application the past 4 to 6 months, and not many other new accounts either.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 12, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Data points.

I had the US Airways card which was later converted to Aviator. I closed this card in July. Applied today for the new one got instant approval.

My wife also had the same US Air card that was converted to Aviator. She closed hers in Jan 2017 and also got instant approval as well. Hope this helps.
Did your converted Aviator card give you an anniversary bonus of 10K AA miles? If so, could you share your reasoning for closing the account?

I can see why people cancel their converted card if it doesn't come with the anniversary bonus. Especially now Barclays allows you to get a new 60k Aviator when you are not holding one. But if the converted card still gives you 10k every year, won't it make the decision-making somewhat difficult?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Happy
This is VERY TRUE.

On top of that, since 3rd week of Sept there is virtual no success DP on the approval of 2nd Aviator while still have one without going thru recon (with mixed results).

I honestly think people whether posting or reading, should pay close attention on the timeline of events when it comes to the approval of a second Aviator while still holding the existing one. All success DPs before late Sept can basically discarded, as the norm now is instant denial. Some can get it overturn by calling recon which all depends on which agent you get / how many HUCA you are willing to go thru. A friend has the US Airway turned Aviator Red for 4 years. He just got an instant denial. The first call to recon was unsuccessful. Since he has a trip to go (left yesterday for EU), he decided to let it cool until returning from trip.

Not having an Aviator now, even though the cancellation is within this year, seems to still work to get the current offer IF you do not have Barclays application the past 4 to 6 months, and not many other new accounts either.
Like your friend, I was denied automatically and I am also letting it go after being rejected by the recon agent. It has been more than 30 days since my application. I am wondering if I should or could resubmit a new application. I am sure I will have another instant denial because I still have a converted Aviator card. But I will try HUCA next time. Your last paragraph about '[no application]in the past 4 to 6 months' kind of confused me. Do you think it applies to my scenario? Any harm to resubmit an application? BTW, I don't have any hard pulls from TransUnion in the one or two years.

TIA!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lw7878
I can see why people cancel their converted card if it doesn't come with the anniversary bonus. Especially now Barclays allows you to get a new 60k Aviator when you are not holding one. But if the converted card still gives you 10k every year, won't it make the decision-making somewhat difficult?
My personal opinion is that no anniversary bonus (that I'm aware of) is worth paying AF for, if you can churn the sign up bonus.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:21 am

Is there enough data points yet to determine how long after closing one should wait to successfully reapply for the bonus ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.