Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by geclub1
Keep in mind that EQM is awarded by AA, not by Barclays or Citi. You are pressuring the wrong party!
Start calling AA instead and make your request known.
Interesting point and worth a shot. Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Another Aviator Silver cardholder with 47k EQM, waiting for the extra 5k EQM to post.

I spoke with Barclaycard before Christmas. They confirmed I spent at least $20,000 in 2015 and that the 5k EQM would post to AA by January 5th, and be credited for 2015.

It's currently January 6th, and still no EQMs. I called AA; they saw nothing in their system for the pending 5k EQM. They brought a Barclaycard rep on the line, and the AA rep said they would stay on "for a minute". The Barclaycard rep said their system crashed and put me on hold, after a few minutes another Barclaycard rep came on the line. The new Barclaycard rep was clueless about the Aviator Silver benefits and I asked to speak with somebody who was familiar with the card. The manger came on the line (she was familiar with the card's benefits) and said that my account billed on December 23rd and that it takes 6-8 WEEKS after that for the EQM's to post. She said she would open a case for it to *possibly* be expedited.

If what she says is true, I might not see the EQMs until the end of February. Not only would I go a month without Platinum status, but next year's annual fee would be due before processing is complete. Needless to say, I'm not interesting in paying $195 for another year of this.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I can tell you my wife's statement cut in the beginning of December and she still hasn't received her last 5000 either.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My second $20k spend requirement was met early December well before my Dec 17th statement closing. I paid my statement balance in full on the closing date (not the due date) in hopes it would help expedite the process.
Originally told by Barclay 5k EQMs would post before Jan 1, 2016.
Then told they would post before Jan 6, 2016.
Nothing yet.
The only thing I'm sure of is that Barclaycard is clueless about the process.
Between this thread and the other Aviator thread with active discussion on this late 2015 EQM topic...

"Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard"

...I haven't heard of anybody meeting spend requirement in December and getting EQMs posted yet. Therefore no data points on whether these will officially count towards 2015 when posted.

Last edited by diggnan; Jan 6, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The 5000 EQM posted into my account today... for 2016. I called the AA Platinum help desk and explained the situation to them. They seemed optimistic that the EQM would get moved to 2015, but it will take 2-3 weeks to resolve. Hopefully, if enough people call with the same issue, AA will know that there's a systemic problem and expedite the soluton.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
As a data point, I called in this morning and the extremely helpful AA rep was able to move my Barclays EQMs back to 2015 while I was on the phone. She said she did not realize she could do it, but she was able to change the date of the activity. Just FYI.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:44 am

Same boat here. I just sent off a nasty-gram to Barclays, because they had promised me in a secure message that they would backdate them, but maybe I should have come here and tried to call AA. I'll wait to see if Barclays can resolve it for me to save a phone call, but if not I'll call AA.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:21 am

Well, just a final update -- it took a few days but after sending a secured message to barclays, they remedied the situation and my AA account now shows the EQM backdated to 12/31.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:30 pm

Was offered the opportunity to upgrade from Red to this Silver Elite. Any reasons I should consider it? $195 seems high and I have so many cards as it is.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:41 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I've had the option when logging in online to upgrade for awhile now, but I received an email offer today as well. Looks like they are making a more concerted effort to push the Silver card now.

What is odd is that the email offer to upgrade said it would expire May 15.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Good to know they're still supporting the Silver.

I have a couple of questions that I haven't had much luck getting answered by Barclays customer service...perhaps the pros here can:

1. With respect to the PQM miles, is the spend measured on a calendar year or card year basis? I had always thought it was a calendar year but am beginning to doubt.
2. With respect to the companion certificate, is the spending measured on a calendar year or card year basis? With the US card, I believe it was a calendar year but I just got one for my card and I believe it is for a period other than calendar year...since December was a while back now.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by dingo
Good to know they're still supporting the Silver.

I have a couple of questions that I haven't had much luck getting answered by Barclays customer service...perhaps the pros here can:

1. With respect to the PQM miles, is the spend measured on a calendar year or card year basis? I had always thought it was a calendar year but am beginning to doubt.
2. With respect to the companion certificate, is the spending measured on a calendar year or card year basis? With the US card, I believe it was a calendar year but I just got one for my card and I believe it is for a period other than calendar year...since December was a while back now.
1. Calendar year
2. Card year based on your card anniversary
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott-Ti, IHG-P
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
1. Calendar year
2. Card year based on your card anniversary
On #2 - it's after your anniversary. The Barclay's site (unlike Citi, as far as I can tell) provides a tracker so you can see how you're doing on your progress (https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...wardsActivity=). My anniversary date is 5/31. Last October the tracker showed that I'd spent >$30k in that "card year" but the tiny gray print on the site says "Awaiting code assignment by (07/20/16)". I called to inquire and was told that my anniversary date is 5/31 and you don't get the companion certificate until after that card year ends. So in my case I earned the certificate just a few months into the card year, but I have to wait for my anniversary + 2 months to get the certificate.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Stockjock
Was offered the opportunity to upgrade from Red to this Silver Elite. Any reasons I should consider it? $195 seems high and I have so many cards as it is.
I wonder the same.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I wonder the same.
Do you care about the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Miles (with a much cheaper AF than the Citi Exec), a companion pass, 3x miles on AA purchases, or 2x on hotel/car rental?

If so, is the value of those benefits to you higher than the $100 AF differential?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.