Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card


Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:07 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,788
Originally Posted by micned
See my post a few back. You should be fine to get the miles this year if you meet the spend requirement this year per the terms of the offer.
Thanks for the response. I guess I don't read it the same way you do, or at least think it's not as clear -- it seems clear that the $40k is calculated based on the transaction date of the charges and that any spend in 2015 should count toward the 40k, but I don't necessarily read it as saying that they will be applied by AA in that calendar year. That may actually be beyond Barclays control. I have no doubt that if I spend another $20k this calendar year, Barclays will have AA credit me with 5k EQM, but so far it doesn't seem as though we know what year AA will put those EQM into. It seems like it takes some time after statement close for Barclays to send the miles over to AA -- if they go over on 1/1, I don't think there's really any way to ensure that they will be applied as 2015 EQM by AA. I hope you're right, but it would be nice to have a datapoint before spending $20k, or to have someone have a datapoint of AA backdating the EQM. On the AA side, they have no idea when you met the spend or didn't. The fact that my last statement closed on 11/14, but the EQM has a 12/1 posted date on AA.com is making me a bit concerned.
lkar is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:55 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: All of them, Katie
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by lkar
Thanks for the response. I guess I don't read it the same way you do, or at least think it's not as clear -- it seems clear that the $40k is calculated based on the transaction date of the charges and that any spend in 2015 should count toward the 40k, but I don't necessarily read it as saying that they will be applied by AA in that calendar year. That may actually be beyond Barclays control. I have no doubt that if I spend another $20k this calendar year, Barclays will have AA credit me with 5k EQM, but so far it doesn't seem as though we know what year AA will put those EQM into. It seems like it takes some time after statement close for Barclays to send the miles over to AA -- if they go over on 1/1, I don't think there's really any way to ensure that they will be applied as 2015 EQM by AA. I hope you're right, but it would be nice to have a datapoint before spending $20k, or to have someone have a datapoint of AA backdating the EQM. On the AA side, they have no idea when you met the spend or didn't. The fact that my last statement closed on 11/14, but the EQM has a 12/1 posted date on AA.com is making me a bit concerned.
I agree that we don't know for sure, but I think it's unlikely that they won't be backdated to the 2015 year when they eventually post. I think that because not backdating them would allow people to earn multiple bonuses in one year, something that they're trying to prevent by having the EQM qualification based on calendar year while other things like the companion pass qualification based on card anniversary date. We probably won't know for sure until a few people try it out though. If I were you, I'd send Barclays a secure message and ask them. If they respond that the miles will count toward 2015, then you have documentation in addition to the suggestive terms to argue your case if they end up posting in 2016. If you do make the spend, please report back either way so we all know how it works.
Aristophanes80 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:42 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,788
Originally Posted by micned
I agree that we don't know for sure, but I think it's unlikely that they won't be backdated to the 2015 year when they eventually post. I think that because not backdating them would allow people to earn multiple bonuses in one year
That's interesting. Good point. It would really only work once, though, right? You could spend $40k on December 27 or something, and hope to get the EQM in the following year, but then the next year, you have to pick which you want them -- in the current or following year.
lkar is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:13 pm
  #274  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: All of them, Katie
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by lkar
That's interesting. Good point. It would really only work once, though, right? You could spend $40k on December 27 or something, and hope to get the EQM in the following year, but then the next year, you have to pick which you want them -- in the current or following year.
Yeah, if it worked you'd only be able to double up every other year and then forego the extra EQMs on the off years. That could be attractive to some depending on travel patterns, and the terms make it seem like they're trying to prevent people from doing that.
Aristophanes80 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:57 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,540
Originally Posted by dingo
FWIW, I have two Silver cards. Earlier in the year I hit the $40k spend to get $10k in EQM's. On the second card, I have hit $20k and while I see an entry on my AA account that is similar to the ones I saw earlier in the year, my EQM's did not change at all.
This is what the T&C said would happen. If you need more EQM, you'll have to pair your Aviator Silver with a Citi Exec card.
nall is online now  
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:54 am
  #276  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: Aadvantage
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by lkar
My card converted on 11/14. I had over $20k in spend this year, and it appears the 5k EQM posted with a posting date of 12/1. I'm in a real bind about what to do. My next statement closes on 12/1, and I'm at 45,008 EQM with AA at the moment, and platinum would definitely be worth the spend to me. But if it's going to post 1/1, it would be a waste.
Unfortunately the information Barclays provides is inconsistent. According to the info button on the "View My Rewards Activity Page" on the Barclays Aviator Silver website next to the progress bar for yearly spend:
"When you reach $20,000 in spending on purchases in a calendar year (transaction date of January 1st to December 31st) with your AAdvantage Aviator™ Silver MasterCard you will earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)." This implies that purchases made prior to 1/1/16 and after the December closing date will count toward 2015 EQM.

On the other hand the rewards T&C, found here, (and via a link on aa.com) state:
"The primary Cardmember will earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after spending $20,000 in Purchases that post to Cardmember’s January through December billing statements." This implies that 2015 purchases made after the December closing statement will count toward 2016 EQM.

I'm not sure how you can determine which is correct but would lean toward the latter because that is what is in their T&C document (and as I said earlier, that is the way that the Citi Exec card works). Good luck!

Last edited by Scsweet; Dec 8, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Scsweet is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:17 pm
  #277  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,788
Ok, thanks all -- I'll try to do the spend before my December statement closes and see what happens. If nothing else, I'll have a data point for next year.
lkar is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:32 pm
  #278  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: All of them, Katie
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by Scsweet
Unfortunately the information Barclays provides is inconsistent. According to the info button on the "View My Rewards Activity Page" on the Barclays Aviator Silver website next to the progress bar for yearly spend:
"When you reach $20,000 in spending on purchases in a calendar year (transaction date of January 1st to December 31st) with your AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard you will earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)." This implies that purchases made prior to 1/1/16 and after the December closing date will count toward 2015 EQM.

On the other hand the rewards T&C, found here, (and via a link on aa.com) state:
"The primary Cardmember will earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after spending $20,000 in Purchases that post to Cardmembers January through December billing statements." This implies that 2015 purchases made after the December closing statement will count toward 2016 EQM.

I'm not sure how you can determine which is correct but would lean toward the latter because that is what is in their T&C document (and as I said earlier, that is the way that the Citi Exec card works). Good luck!
Thank you for digging that out and finding this discrepancy; that is good to know.

Originally Posted by lkar
Ok, thanks all -- I'll try to do the spend before my December statement closes and see what happens. If nothing else, I'll have a data point for next year.
Please report back what happens. Worst case is you get a head start on next year.
Aristophanes80 is offline  
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:57 pm
  #279  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Yawk
Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Posts: 477
To add a datapoint, I requested the upgrade in early November. The website said I'd be upgraded at the end of the next statement close, November 25. It took a few business days, but sometime after the 25th the website was updated to reflect the silver card. I had already earned EQMs, and they posted December 1st. Much faster than I expected.
idayvuelta is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:54 pm
  #280  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,788
Just an interim update. I completed my spend in early December. My statement closed on 12/14. The miles posted to my AA account, but to date, the EQM have not posted. I'm thinking it's 50/50 whether they will post by the end of the year, and if they don't I'm not optimistic there will be anything anyone can do about. I sent a secure message to Barclays asking them to expedite, and all I got was a canned response. I'll post when the EQM do eventually post, but at this point, I'd suggest that if it's important to you to get these EQM, make the spend well in advance of the end of the year. Here's the very unhelpful response from Barclays:

Upon review of your account, we can confirm you have spent $4X,XXX year to date in purchases. Please remember that Elite Qualifying Miles are awarded within 4-6 weeks of the qualifying event and can be viewed by logging into your Mileage account. Keep in mind, should the posting of the additional Elite Qualifying Miles result in you qualifying or re qualifying for AAdvantage Elite status, your status will be valid throughout the next succeeding Elite membership year. Benefits associated with any new Elite status level will take effect immediately on the date the additional Elite status qualifying miles were posted to your AAdvantage account and will apply to all eligible flight activity occurring on or after that date. We apologize for the confusion, and hope that we have been able to clarify the situation.
lkar is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:02 pm
  #281  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: Aadvantage
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by lkar
Just an interim update. I completed my spend in early December. My statement closed on 12/14. The miles posted to my AA account, but to date, the EQM have not posted. I'm thinking it's 50/50 whether they will post by the end of the year, and if they don't I'm not optimistic there will be anything anyone can do about. I sent a secure message to Barclays asking them to expedite, and all I got was a canned response. I'll post when the EQM do eventually post, but at this point, I'd suggest that if it's important to you to get these EQM, make the spend well in advance of the end of the year. Here's the very unhelpful response from Barclays:

Upon review of your account, we can confirm you have spent $4X,XXX year to date in purchases. Please remember that Elite Qualifying Miles are awarded within 4-6 weeks of the qualifying event and can be viewed by logging into your Mileage account. Keep in mind, should the posting of the additional Elite Qualifying Miles result in you qualifying or re qualifying for AAdvantage Elite status, your status will be valid throughout the next succeeding Elite membership year. Benefits associated with any new Elite status level will take effect immediately on the date the additional Elite status qualifying miles were posted to your AAdvantage account and will apply to all eligible flight activity occurring on or after that date. We apologize for the confusion, and hope that we have been able to clarify the situation.
A while back I received the following from one of my secure message exchanges:

Please keep in mind, we do have Reward Specialists at 1-866-928-3075, available from 9 AM to 8 PM ET, as well they can also help reach our to American Airlines with you to confirm when the EQM have posted to the account. The call will come into our Customer Care Department, but you may either select to speak to a Rewards Specialist through the automated system, or make the request to the representative on the phone."

I didn't go that route because my EQM posted on 12/1 (my card converted on 11/19). But if you haven't tried that...
Scsweet is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:43 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,788
Originally Posted by Scsweet
A while back I received the following from one of my secure message exchanges:

Please keep in mind, we do have Reward Specialists at 1-866-928-3075, available from 9 AM to 8 PM ET, as well they can also help reach our to American Airlines with you to confirm when the EQM have posted to the account. The call will come into our Customer Care Department, but you may either select to speak to a Rewards Specialist through the automated system, or make the request to the representative on the phone."

I didn't go that route because my EQM posted on 12/1 (my card converted on 11/19). But if you haven't tried that...
Awesome -- thanks for the advice. I'll wait a couple more days and then try it if that doesn't work. I sent another secured message asking for expedition, and we'll see what they say.
lkar is offline  
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:19 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 37
I completed my second $20k spend in early December with a statement closing date of 12/17. I still haven't seen the 5k EQMs applied which is worrying since my current EQM balance is 45,303 with no further flights planned for 2015. After a few messages via the website and mostly unhelpful, canned responses I did receive the following:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the miles on your account.

We apologize for any confusion with your EQMs posting to your account. They will post to your account before January 1, 2016. We hope you find this information helpful.

We thank you for being a valued card member and Happy Holidays! If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care


I'm keeping an eye on my EQM balance and will let all know when/if they do live up to this.
diggnan is offline  
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:40 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 37
Due to a combination of impatience and lack of confidence in Barclay's canned secure message responses, I called the 866 number referenced multiple times in this thread. The call provided little reassurance with, once again, references to "6-8 weeks" and "they EQMs should count towards 2015 Elite status."

As someone who is 4,700 EQMs short, my multiple contacts with Barclay provide little reassurance. And, quite frankly, I'm tired of refreshing my AA app 40 times daily...
diggnan is offline  
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:47 pm
  #285  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by diggnan
Due to a combination of impatience and lack of confidence in Barclay's canned secure message responses, I called the 866 number referenced multiple times in this thread. The call provided little reassurance with, once again, references to "6-8 weeks" and "they EQMs should count towards 2015 Elite status."

As someone who is 4,700 EQMs short, my multiple contacts with Barclay provide little reassurance. And, quite frankly, I'm tired of refreshing my AA app 40 times daily...
Keep in mind that EQM is awarded by AA, not by Barclays or Citi. You are pressuring the wrong party!
Start calling AA instead and make your request known.
geclub1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.