Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Hotel, probably.
It's now "First Class Award" or "13 nights at a Category 6 Hyatt"
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Yes. I have been very heavy on earning UR for the past 2 years. I now may move more to the cash / fixed value programs (Citi TYP, US bank, arrival, amex) and cash back malls. If one can average more than 2% it may be worth it. While yes, miles may have better value they are not as flexible as cash. Over the past few years i have found discounted J int'l tickets that made more sense than burning miles, even if they were not on my preferred carrier. Kayaking is looking more and more appealing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by Happy
Quote:

Originally Posted by atxtravel

Maybe I'm in the minority now, but I still find UA miles immensely valuable for those of us whose main purpose of travel is to visit and enjoy as many destinations as possible around the world. I couldn't care less about "trying new product" when I fly. I'm not like some of the bloggers who spend most of their time flying or gushing over the upgraded suite, instead of getting to know the destination.

For the 14+ hours TPAC flight, sitting in coach is just too painful. We have seen enough places around the world and there is no need to go if it means to curl up in coach for longer than 10+ hours. Each extra hour above the 10th, is getting exponentially uncomfortable, to the point that could create health issue (really swollen legs and feet).

No need for F, but a flat bed is a must for those Asia / South Pacific flights. We can do Europe in coach, but not the ultra longhaul to Pacific/Indian ocean zones.
I live on the East Coast and EU is usually 8 hours more or less so business is fine and low season I can deal with coach. But TPAC means long flights and that is a no-no for my back and butt. Usually Business is allright and first if it is a foreign carrier like CX or ANA.

Did Qantas to Australia in F and even that was exhausting!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:32 am

I'm leaning towards applying to two United cards today to increase my United miles from 125k to 225k, then booking several premium flights over the next year before the devaluation hits. Can always change the dates if travel plans or availability change.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by goldcoast101
Let them know that you will be switching airlines/your disappointment https://www.facebook.com/United
LOL at some of the comments on there.

Brutal. Would read again.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by used_wardrobe
I'm leaning towards applying to two United cards today to increase my United miles from 125k to 225k, then booking several premium flights over the next year before the devaluation hits. Can always change the dates if travel plans or availability change.
You mean over the next 4 months, correct?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lacuadra
I live on the East Coast and EU is usually 8 hours more or less so business is fine and low season I can deal with coach. But TPAC means long flights and that is a no-no for my back and butt. Usually Business is allright and first if it is a foreign carrier like CX or ANA.

Did Qantas to Australia in F and even that was exhausting!
Exactly our position. With only 9 to 10 hours flight especially on the West Bound it is usually a Day Time flight, we dont need a flat bed which even on the East Bound, hardly get much use because it is rather short to have a good enough sleep. If we find J availability, fine. If not, we go coach if needed.

However, TPAC is a very different animal. Not only the flight is 60% longer, but the time zone change is really hard on you. We have been in Australia and New Zealand 5 times, and similar number to Asia. So without a flat bed, it would be hard-pressed for us to go.

Our first business class long haul was on UA miles flying NZ at 90K miles booked immediately after it announced a jump to 120K. It was 2007. At that time UA miles to South Pacific were at the bargain level comparing to other programs. Also at that time NZ sill released J seats, even though it tended to be 1 at a time but you could count on it when it got to 3 to 4 months before departure. We loved their herringbone setting which was pioneered by Virgin, NZ and AC licensed from Virgin from what I understood. Gone are those days. Now NZ J probably is just as hard or even harder to get as LH F.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
I use my cards for my business and charge close to $1 million per year on my Club card. It was worth the $400 per year fee for the extra 1/2 mile on every dollar at the old award rate. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to stay with this card when it comes time for renewal. Where my Club card has been my primary card for purchases, I am starting to place more orders on my AS and AA cards since the changes were announced.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:58 pm

Do we want to revisit this topic in light of today's announcements from Hyatt?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: co AA ua
I called United Explorer Chase

Explained them why it is not beneficial for me to hold the card anymore. To my surprise they gave me 15000 miles to keep the card open and keep spending. Not bad deal. I will keep it for another year. See my spending pattern. This puts me closer to another domstic ticket in coach not bad. I can fly in united by now in 6 tickets. I was lucky to redeem the trip for travel on Turkish and US Airways in business for Summer 2014. Not bad. But I still have 100,000 miles. Will shift my focus to UR Mileage Plus.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
Do we want to revisit this topic in light of today's announcements from Hyatt?
The Hyatt deval wasn't even close to the level of the UA deval.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Mods, I'm curious to see the numbers, any chance we can add a poll to this thread about where others might be taking their spending?

A) UA Card
B) Chase Cards
C) Membership Rewards Cards
D) Other Airline Card
E) Citi TYP
F) BarclayCard

Not sure how many options you can have....
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
The key is earning across the board and having options. Not putting all your spend in one basket. I have found great values not only in Sky Pesos, but even in Spirit miles if you can believe that.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: United, Cathay, Delta, Priority Pass (gold), SPG

This is downright depressing. Thank you flyertalk for drawing my attention to this. Been saving up for a lovely trip to the us. Now that trip will cost me almost 30 percent more
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnscout
The key is earning across the board and having options. Not putting all your spend in one basket. I have found great values not only in Sky Pesos, but even in Spirit miles if you can believe that.
Agreed, but I was thinking more in terms of every day spending card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.