Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MLM JET
I agree. Unfortunately I have gotten so into racking up miles that I have too much to lose with every devalue

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

If this would all be 2 cents

I would have lots of cash!
I wonder if you can pay your taxes or medical bills with this...
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:51 am

Yes. While I find united to be a convenient option with its decent amount of award availability, I have had some subpar experience flying it in recent years.

I flew in united first (internationally) last year and the service was underwhelming at best due mostly to service. I once had to call in to change a ticket another time while abroad and the phone agent had major problems explaining certain UA policy, and had a long back and forth with me (not a pretty phone bill for that call). It's the only airline to have lost (delayed) my luggage so far (and I had a business meeting the next day). I have had better experience flying elsewhere.

The devaluation does affect my strategy, in that I have more second thoughts about transferring UR to united and instead to on other partners. I also wiped out the rest of my UA balance (for a trip planned before the devaluation), so i am not sure if I want to rebuild my UA balance (though I will still spend as usual) and will likely keep a small balance if possible for "rainy day"

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; Nov 30, 2013 at 8:40 am
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Yes

Since the devaluation, we only use our UA Chase card for groceries (double miles), plus we only use our Chase Sapphire for dining (double points) and have both gotten AmEX's that we use for everything else.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Add me to the list of people leaving home without it. From a rewards POV, a lot of other cards have stepped up their game, so the UA Chase card was getting questionable before the devaluation. Now, using a different card is a no brainer.

Sure, some of us will keep the card for a while for the benefits, but as far as actually charging purchases, nope, other cards get my business.

I can't imagine ever going back to it. No matter how many miles they offer, I know there is always another devaluation around the corner.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA and for high bank direct balances
US (I shared during their promo)
UA credit card and ur transfer also MR
SPG Credit card spend
In this case, the AA miles and especially the US miles, carry a real cost Sunken it might, but this is real money - you pay 0.01 per mile minimum when you "shared" the US miles. Why would you pay to just for the sake of hoarding miles? Should only pay when you have an immediate need to use the miles.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I am going to plan a 2 1/2 week trip around the world in Business class with my wife and 2 kids.

I was planning to do this way back for our honeymoon but the wife doesn't like traveling. I will have to make the case that it may be our last chance before further devalue!
I would hate to do such a trip - 2 1/2 weeks around the world.... even in First class you would still be very tired. If this is your idea of travel, no wonder your wife does not like to do.

Go a place or 2 and stay in Very Nice hotels to have some pampering instead of rushing around in 2 1/2 weeks to just burn some of your miles and points - totally pointless to do so, no punt intended.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by janehoya
Since the devaluation, we only use our UA Chase card for groceries (double miles), plus we only use our Chase Sapphire for dining (double points) and have both gotten AmEX's that we use for everything else.
which UA chase card gives double miles for groceries? thanks
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by liw5215
which UA chase card gives double miles for groceries? thanks
It's a card we've had for a very long time. I think it was originally advertised as a Visa Signature card, but a couple of years ago they re-branded it, and on the front it says, "MileagePlus Select."
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:12 pm

What are the best cards post United devaluation?

Looking to apply for more cards, I've pretty much just churned through most of the chase cards and have a starwood. I'm looking to spend all my points before united devaluations. I'm assuming for domestic travel UR will still be good through Avios+United and Southwest through SPG. What cards should I now churn for best international travel? I'm not going to specify one area, but I mostly travel to Europe but also looking to travel to South America and maybe Asia in next year.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by R2134
Looking to apply for more cards, I've pretty much just churned through most of the chase cards and have a starwood. I'm looking to spend all my points before united devaluations. I'm assuming for domestic travel UR will still be good through Avios+United and Southwest through SPG. What cards should I now churn for best international travel? I'm not going to specify one area, but I mostly travel to Europe but also looking to travel to South America and maybe Asia in next year.
?Southwest through SPG"? You didn't mention Citi, which has AA cards that can get you to SE asia easily. Europe is a little harder, as UA was better for that.

Determine where you want to go and when, then look at the points that will get you there the easiest. Then apply for those cards and earn the miles needed.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by R2134
so what research have you done so far?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
AA is great for Europe, only 40K RT till May 15.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UR, SPG, HHonors Gold
Value of United MileagePlus points post-devaluation vs UR/MR/SPG points?

So right now I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, but since it only gives back 1 point per dollar for non-travel/dining spending, I'm looking for a second card for general spending.

The top of my list WAS the United MileagePlus Club Card for its 1.5 points/dollar rewards rate. But then I learned of the devaluation of United's Star Alliance awards, and I started to reconsider. Would I be better off getting an SPG Amex or Mercedes Platinum Amex instead? Or should I just put general spending on the Sapphire Preferred, even though the United devaluation hits the value of UR points, too?

EDIT:
I almost forgot about the Barclaycard World Arrival card. Are MR/SPG points worth more than 2.2 cents each? Since that's the Barclaycard's rate of return.

Last edited by Locke42; Jan 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Locke42
So right now I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, but since it only gives back 1 point per dollar for non-travel/dining spending, I'm looking for a second card for general spending.

The top of my list WAS the United MileagePlus Club Card for its 1.5 points/dollar rewards rate. But then I learned of the devaluation of United's Star Alliance awards, and I started to reconsider. Would I be better off getting an SPG Amex or Mercedes Platinum Amex instead? Or should I just put general spending on the Sapphire Preferred, even though the United devaluation hits the value of UR points, too?

EDIT:
I almost forgot about the Barclaycard World Arrival card. Are MR/SPG points worth more than 2.2 cents each? Since that's the Barclaycard's rate of return.
It really depends on that travel partners you like. UA's premium cabin award chart is bad, but the economy chart is still good. Hyatt is still relatively good as well, and WN isn't bad still.

SPG still has great partners (AA, AS, Middle Eastern Airlines, SPG itself, Air Canada, SQ, etc).

MR is a little inferior to SPG's partners, IMO. So UR, SPG, and MR are all great to me, IMO. Just depends what partners you like the most.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UR, SPG, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
It really depends on that travel partners you like. UA's premium cabin award chart is bad, but the economy chart is still good. Hyatt is still relatively good as well, and WN isn't bad still.

SPG still has great partners (AA, AS, Middle Eastern Airlines, SPG itself, Air Canada, SQ, etc).

MR is a little inferior to SPG's partners, IMO. So UR, SPG, and MR are all great to me, IMO. Just depends what partners you like the most.
I'm not picky when it comes to domestic flights. I fly mainly Virgin America domestically, but if I earn better rewards rates on other airlines, I'll fly those airlines.

For international flights to Asia, I've traditionally flown Cathay and Singapore, but most of the Asian airlines are pretty good anyway, so again, I'm not too picky. For flights to Europe, I have no experience, so as long as they're good quality I won't complain.

For hotels, I'd ideally want to invest my spending in a company that (a) has a lot of relatively inexpensive domestic hotels where I can earn points on my business trips, and (b) a lot of high quality international properties in Europe and Asia where I can redeem my points. For example, while Hyatt is valuable for UR redemptions, they only have 400 hotels worldwide, and they tend to be expensive, so I can't really earn Hyatt points on business trips because even if they are available, they'll probably be too expensive for my company to approve.

What I really don't want to do is spread my points earning over too many non-transferable programs, because I don't want orphan points laying around.

I may get both the United Club Card for the perks and the SPG Amex for the spending. That would give me the perks I want (access to Star Alliance lounges) AND the flexibility of transferable points for less than the annual cost of a Mercedes Benz Platinum Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.