Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Platinum

I've been riding the Chase train for a while, getting great value out of UA awards. However, with this horrible devaluation I'm strongly considering Amex/MR (ANA, AC, Avios, SQ) and SPG/Citi (AA) for future transfers... How will the UA changes affect your points earning strategy?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:32 am

Definitely making me re-consider my UA-for-anything-International policy.

One thing for sure is that I won't make the effort to hit the 25k spend on my Chase UA CC next year to get the extra 10k miles. That spend was already teetering on the brink of not being worth it. Now it's fallen off the cliff
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
While UA is still very convenient for me I will shift spending to a BA Chase (up to 100k after 20k spend / 30k = companion ticket) so offset the higher cost to fly business to Europe.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:47 am

I'll definitely be putting less spend on Chase UR-earning cards, but my strategy won't change much. I've always been diversifying spend so I can adapt to horrendous changes like this. As long as AA can hold off on a devaluation, I can spend time accruing AA miles and burning UA miles.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

Cancel the club card tomorrow, dumping miles and moving to AA EXP where I'm treated like a GS ought to be.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Luckily I recently booked a trip that used up all my UA miles. Now the UR points will likely go to Hyatt.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:40 am

Just got my $395 bill for the club card today, after I pay off my purchases from yesterday I'm going to call in to cancel it. Think I'm going to play with my PRG until the next September when I hope to apply for a 30k SPG
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:52 am

of course, this is the first year I got the UA card, originally I plan to keep it for years with average 15K+ monthly purchase. now no doubt will cancell it before the annual fees due
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:55 am

without UA and saphire card, what any other chase card to provide the most values?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by AirD0c
I've been riding the Chase train for a while, getting great value out of UA awards. However, with this horrible devaluation I'm strongly considering Amex/MR (ANA, AC, Avios, SQ) and SPG/Citi (AA) for future transfers... How will the UA changes affect your points earning strategy?
Definitely reconsidering my CSP/Freedom combo.

Did like the 2x bonus on dining on CSP and the periodic 5x gas bonus on Freedom.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

With this bad news I guess I've been quite lucky in timing. I've spent about UA 800k miles in last year (messaging from Paris) with 2 biz round trips on Turk to Africa booked for next year. I am pretty much cleaned out of UA (was lamenting, now not) but have been building miles in UR and Amex. Will spend more on Amex and cancel the UA and perhaps Sapphire card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:29 pm

Does someone want to be more specific about the devaluation?

I had enough for a one way flight to NY...are they now worthless?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Does someone want to be more specific about the devaluation?

I had enough for a one way flight to NY...are they now worthless?
There value for domestic itineraries (within lower 48 states) remains the same, though flights to Alaska and Hawaii are more expensive now. sbm12 had a good post about on his blog: http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...released-ouch/
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Platinum
I've been thinking about this all day, and I'm leaning towards shifting most of my spend to Amex (PRG). We fly to Turkey fairly regularly (family) and I like to save up for J redemptions. United had the advantage here (100k, no fees).

After devaluation the same ticket will cost 140k using United. But with AC, it will cost 105k + $73.90 in taxes/fees (on TK), not bad at all. Or with ANA, it's 85k + $321.40. Either way, MR partners now provide the best value. I don't think AA/OneWorld has any good options here.

My CSP AF is due next month, and I was planning on keeping it before the news, but I may just cancel... I would forgo my annual dividend, and I'd miss having a good travel card with no foreign fees. It's going to be a touch decision, because if I shift most of my spend to Amex PRG and use CSP for merchants that don't take Amex and foreign spend, I'm still not sure it'll justify the $95 AF.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:36 pm

I just got the CSP and Ink cards, so this devaluation definitely hurts. I'll be spending more on my SPG card, and won't be renewing either Chase card as I had planned to. I'll probably make more transfers to Hyatt and WN for domestic travel as well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.