Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
Definitely reconsidering my CSP/Freedom combo.

Did like the 2x bonus on dining on CSP and the periodic 5x gas bonus on Freedom.
I'll keep my CSP/Freedom combo as it still provides the best way to accumulate points (via the mall) compared to AMEX.
However, I think it would be wise for Chase to expand its transfer partners and offset the devaluation of the Explorer card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:47 pm

What vendors are you going through the mall for?

A lot of the vendors I used to shop at via the UR mall (eg, iTunes) have significantly reduced or disappeared. I do still like the earn with Orbitz or Travelocity, but I'm not sure that alone justifies the fee.

Originally Posted by AirD0c
My CSP AF is due next month, and I was planning on keeping it before the news, but I may just cancel... I would forgo my annual dividend, and I'd miss having a good travel card with no foreign fees. It's going to be a touch decision, because if I shift most of my spend to Amex PRG and use CSP for merchants that don't take Amex and foreign spend, I'm still not sure it'll justify the $95 AF.
Chase's IHG card has no forex and a free hotel room for $49 AF.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:49 pm

I'm debating this myself mightily as well. Blew all my UR/UA points for a trip in July and was trying to generate as many new points as possible for the summer of 2015.

As my goal is business to Europe, the devaluation really hurts. AA/MR look way better except it is so much easier to generate URs - last month I got 2 points/dollar average, which I can't do on the others. And United's plan as crappy as it will be still isn't twice the cost of the other programs. So my tentative plan is to stay the course, but focus more on Chase and a lot less on United just in case.

My big worry though is come summer 2015 I will find zero availability even at the higher redemption levels. Finding four seats for this summer was bad enough!

Simultaneously generating AA points but need them for Asia- United's requirements for Asia are even worse.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:12 pm
Suspended

What vendors are you going through the mall for?

A lot of the vendors I used to shop at via the UR mall (eg, iTunes) have significantly reduced or disappeared. I do still like the earn with Orbitz or Travelocity, but I'm not sure that alone justifies the fee.

Chase's IHG card has no forex and a free hotel room for $49 AF.

For me, the 7% annual bonus and shopping via the mall at Orbitz and Travelocity justifies the annual fee.

The only other card I considered before getting the CSP was AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card. However, the annual fee of the PRG is much higher and there is no way to earn extra points by going through a mall. On top of that, the transfer partners of Membership Rewards that are usefull to me (Delta, FlyingBlue) are as crappy as United. Adding insult to injury, AMEX charges a foreign transaction fee.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by sfmom
As my goal is business to Europe, the devaluation really hurts. AA/MR look way better except it is so much easier to generate URs - last month I got 2 points/dollar average, which I can't do on the others. And United's plan as crappy as it will be still isn't twice the cost of the other programs. So my tentative plan is to stay the course, but focus more on Chase and a lot less on United just in case.
I don't know how much and what you spend on, but you could probably do well with the combination of a Preferred Gold Reward and regular Mercedes Benz card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
For me, the 7% annual bonus and shopping via the mall at Orbitz and Travelocity justifies the annual fee.

The only other card I considered before getting the CSP was AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card. However, the annual fee of the PRG is much higher and there is no way to earn extra points by going through a mall. On top of that, the transfer partners of Membership Rewards that are usefull to me (Delta, FlyingBlue) are as crappy as United. Adding insult to injury, AMEX charges a foreign transaction fee.
And a fee to transfer points to partners!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Not on Ink -- 5X has essentially become 2.5X - 3X if you redeem for partner First. Find me a card that currently gets 3X miles in a program without YQ.

Only problem is $50k/yr cap.

That said, I will not be going for Premier status next year because I will not want to put $25k on a United card for 1.4X.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
And a fee to transfer points to partners!
I believe that's only the case with US Partners (so, Delta). I was not charged this fee on my transfers to non-US airlines.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I just got the CSP and Ink cards, so this devaluation definitely hurts. I'll be spending more on my SPG card, and won't be renewing either Chase card as I had planned to. I'll probably make more transfers to Hyatt and WN for domestic travel as well
Same here, I will not use and renew my United card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I believe that's only the case with US Partners (so, Delta). I was not charged this fee on my transfers to non-US airlines.
Delta, VX, B6, Frontier, and Hawaiian.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:53 pm

It's going to change mine as well. No more spend on the United card. Now, to decide wether to choose UR or MR, not sure yet. Since it's so easy to accumulate UR pts, I may still stick with UR, for now...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amolkold
Not on Ink -- 5X has essentially become 2.5X - 3X if you redeem for partner First. Find me a card that currently gets 3X miles in a program without YQ.

Only problem is $50k/yr cap.
Taking into account the $35 fee for five $200 GCs at office supply stores, you're paying 0.7 cents per point at 5X. At only "3X" aren't you paying 1.25 cents per point, a substantially worse value than VRs or most other GCs bought at 1X?

That said, I redeem mainly for domestic trips on UA, and those aren't seeing devaluation, plus I usually get 2 to 3 cents per mile of value even in Y class at today's high airfares.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority now, but I still find UA miles immensely valuable for those of us whose main purpose of travel is to visit and enjoy as many destinations as possible around the world. I couldn't care less about "trying new product" when I fly. I'm not like some of the bloggers who spend most of their time flying or gushing over the upgraded suite, instead of getting to know the destination.

I hear gasps of horror...I know..shocking concept. I've discovered for myself that UA miles are way too valuable to waste on the excess of first class.

Some of the reasons are...

1. 10k mile bonus, so with $25k of manufactured spending at about $270 cost of GCs + MOs, I have myself 60k miles, enough for roundtrip to Europe or South America, with a free one-way left over.

2. Generous routing with two open-jaws and stopover, I can still do RTW trips that would cost close to $3k to buy, for 60-80k miles in coach.

3. Flexibility to change flights while the itinerary has started. Very useful for unexpected changes of plans due to weather, illness, etc..

For the occasional treat, I can always book biz or first using the much less flexible/valuable US miles or do an AA distance award.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Maybe I'm in the minority now, but I still find UA miles immensely valuable for those of us whose main purpose of travel is to visit and enjoy as many destinations as possible around the world. I couldn't care less about "trying new product" when I fly. I'm not like some of the bloggers who spend most of their time flying or gushing over the upgraded suite, instead of getting to know the destination.

I hear gasps of horror...I know..shocking concept. I've discovered for myself that UA miles are way too valuable to waste on the excess of first class.

Some of the reasons are...

1. 10k mile bonus, so with $25k of manufactured spending at about $270 cost of GCs + MOs, I have myself 60k miles, enough for roundtrip to Europe or South America, with a free one-way left over.

2. Generous routing with two open-jaws and stopover, I can still do RTW trips that would cost close to $3k to buy, for 60-80k miles in coach.

3. Flexibility to change flights while the itinerary has started. Very useful for unexpected changes of plans due to weather, illness, etc..

For the occasional treat, I can always book biz or first using the much less flexible/valuable US miles or do an AA distance award.
It's definitely a YMMV situation. In economy, UA is still probably in the top. For those who are "no longer collecting UA miles" are those who really like the business/first classes. Calling first class miles a "waste" is very subjective. Technically, you always get a bigger bang for your buck using miles on business/first class, even after the deval.

For the bloggers and other hardcore point collectors out there, they've pretty much seen the world, or at least already seen the parts of the world they've wanted.

Some refuse to fly trans-atlantic/pacific in coach because it is such a literally painful experience. As always, it really depends on each individual.

As for me, if I am planning a nice trip for the SO and I, i'm going to save for J or F seats. For a huge family trip, i'll still collect the UA miles for econ. Regardless, since I have no plans as to which i'm doing next, it's just safer for me to leave points in UR and/or MR, as leaving points in a single airline can be detrimental.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Nov 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby

Some refuse to fly trans-atlantic/pacific in coach because it is such a literally painful experience. As always, it really depends on each individual.

As for me, if I am planning a nice trip for the SO and I, i'm going to save for J or F seats. For a huge family trip, i'll still collect the UA miles for econ. Regardless, it's just saver for me to leave points in UR and MR, as leaving points in a single airline can still be detrimental.
Well, I wouldn't call it painful. Maybe for those with back problems...but I just in the past few years took up heavy international travel after a 10 year hiatus, and I must say international coach isn't too bad. I was pleasantly surprised.

Btw, the other issue to consider is miles do run out eventually. There's only so many CC bonuses one can sign up for, and especially with Chase, it might be wise to ration points and get more trips out of them for those who aren't heavy spenders or who naturally accumulate a lot of travel miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.