Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
Originally Posted by jalm1
Yes. I have been very heavy on earning UR for the past 2 years. I now may move more to the cash / fixed value programs (Citi TYP, US bank, arrival, amex) and cash back malls. If one can average more than 2% it may be worth it. While yes, miles may have better value they are not as flexible as cash. Over the past few years i have found discounted J int'l tickets that made more sense than burning miles, even if they were not on my preferred carrier. Kayaking is looking more and more appealing.

I agree. Unfortunately I have gotten so into racking up miles that I have too much to lose with every devalue

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

If this would all be 2 cents

I would have lots of cash!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by MLM JET
I agree. Unfortunately I have gotten so into racking up miles that I have too much to lose with every devalue

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

9.5 MILLION points and miles?! That's gonna take some time to burn... Deval or not.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

I am most interested at how one earn 600K SPG pts as well as 800K US miles. The rest all are fair games if one really want to, though 4 million AA miles are on the crazy side.

Spend them on hotels and cruises, you will be able to burn them quickly.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:22 pm

seriously? !! omg how the heck you get that many points !!

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:50 pm

AA and for high bank direct balances
US (I shared during their promo)
UA credit card and ur transfer also MR
SPG Credit card spend
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

OMG, it is a lot a lot and a lot. I am sure that you are the rich or you own a business.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Wow

SPG Credit card spend
600k on SPG is a lot of credit card spend!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mdpdjx
SPG Credit card spend
600k on SPG is a lot of credit card spend!
It's over a few years and its business spend
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
For those thinking of switching to another airline like AA/BA/US, aren't they just as likely to devaluate and it's just a matter of time? If you start low you will have to build up and by that time they may well have devaluated.

Anyway, this deval has little impact on this coach boy. It sure is uncomfortable on a 12+ hour flight but I grew up in the slum where we could only dream of getting on an airplane one day, so I can take it
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by italdesign
For those thinking of switching to another airline like AA/BA/US, aren't they just as likely to devaluate and it's just a matter of time?

Anyway, this deval has little impact on this coach boy. It sure is uncomfortable on a 12+ hour flight but I grew up in the slum where we could only dream of getting on an airplane one day, so I can take it
*Nods head profusely*

Couldn't agree more! All miles are meant to be spent, so if you have travel plans, sometimes the "Am I getting humungous value by spending these miles?!" thought process needs to be thrown out especially if you're sitting on high 6 figure miles balances.

I'll also ride coach any day, as I travel to see the world and have wild adventures, so praise the Lord, the deval didn't hurt me much. I do feel bad for those saving for those dream first class redemptions though. Book now!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
For those thinking of switching to another airline like AA/BA/US, aren't they just as likely to devaluate and it's just a matter of time? If you start low you will have to build up and by that time they may well have devaluated.

Agreed. I definitely understand those with medical issues, however I'm 6'4" and will cram into a coach seat all day long to be able to take more trips. This may change when I have more $ than I know what to do with, but for the time being I'm with you. Hell...if they sold standing room only tickets I'd consider them...
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:41 pm

I think I am going to plan a 2 1/2 week trip around the world in Business class with my wife and 2 kids.

I was planning to do this way back for our honeymoon but the wife doesn't like traveling. I will have to make the case that it may be our last chance before further devalue!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalm1

Yes. I have been very heavy on earning UR for the past 2 years. I now may move more to the cash / fixed value programs (Citi TYP, US bank, arrival, amex) and cash back malls. If one can average more than 2% it may be worth it. While yes, miles may have better value they are not as flexible as cash. Over the past few years i have found discounted J int'l tickets that made more sense than burning miles, even if they were not on my preferred carrier. Kayaking is looking more and more appealing.

AA 4million
US 800k
UA 1.2m
Delta 300k
UR 900k
MR 1.1m
SPG 600k
HH 400k
VS 85k
BA 250k

holy moly
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ofasho
Hell...if they sold standing room only tickets I'd consider them...
I would consider it for a ~2 hr flight. Should be more comfortable than standing in a crowded subway train during rush hour
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:32 pm
jmw

That's foolish having no plans to spend them. I'm not impressed with those balances. <slap hand on forehead> You should've gotten a 2% cashback card since you had no liquidation strategy. I would have big balances if I didn't spend them. If the wife hates to travel, I would definitely stay away from points and miles when playing this game. When I get these points, I have trips planned already with the exception of a small balance for family emergencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.