Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Well, I wouldn't call it painful. Maybe for those with back problems...but I just in the past few years took up heavy international travel after a 10 year hiatus, and I must say international coach isn't too bad. I was pleasantly surprised.

Btw, the other issue to consider is miles do run out eventually. There's only so many CC bonuses one can sign up for, and especially with Chase, it might be wise to ration points and get more trips out of them for those who aren't heavy spenders or who naturally accumulate a lot of travel miles.
Again it really depends, a lot of healthy individuals I know still call a trans-pacific/atlantic flight painful, especially larger individuals.

Definitely a good point to consider regarding miles running out.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Quote:

Originally Posted by nall

Definitely reconsidering my CSP/Freedom combo.

Did like the 2x bonus on dining on CSP and the periodic 5x gas bonus on Freedom.

I'll keep my CSP/Freedom combo as it still provides the best way to accumulate points (via the mall) compared to AMEX.
However, I think it would be wise for Chase to expand its transfer partners and offset the devaluation of the Explorer card.
Lifemiles would be a decent addition. Even though they are not the easiest to deal with they present decent values for redemptions.

Lets wait and see. For now I am keeping my UR with Chase. There is WN , Hyatt. And indeed I will dust off my BA card. Funny though, it was bumped to 100k today. Maybe Chase knew about this deval ahead of time...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Lifemiles would be a decent addition. Even though they are not the easiest to deal with they present decent values for redemptions.

Lets wait and see. For now I am keeping my UR with Chase. There is WN , Hyatt. And indeed I will dust off my BA card. Funny though, it was bumped to 100k today. Maybe Chase knew about this deval ahead of time...
With the major UA deval, and slight WN deval, UR is sure making MR/SPG look really good.

The new signup bonus for BA is 100K?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Yes 50k now and 25/25 after 10/20k spend
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:35 am

Let them know that you will be switching airlines/your disappointment https://www.facebook.com/United
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:44 am

With kids finally out of college, I just this year learned about/had time to start this hobby. I was closing in on enough UA/UR points for a great anniversary trip next November. Now I can't wait to properly season the new cards just received - I have to dive in and create enough miles to book before Feb 1. Plus I was already starting to diversify with the Citi AA card, etc. in thinking about future travels. I will not renew MP, don't know yet about Ink, but will keep CSP for the bonus categories.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Other then Amex, I don't use bank issued credit cards for miles. I have just generally gone with the Visa or MC my bank offers. However, every once in a while I think of switching to the Chase United card.......No more, not even a chance I would get that
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Again it really depends, a lot of healthy individuals I know still call a trans-pacific/atlantic flight painful, especially larger individuals.

Definitely a good point to consider regarding miles running out.
I think we can both agree that for the cost of annual fee and $270 cost of manufacturing $25k spending, getting 60k miles and 2 lounge passes is a good value. That's enough for a one-way biz class to Europe.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I wish we could add a poll to this thread to find out where people are moving their spend, if at all.

I think we can both agree that for the cost of annual fee and $270 cost of manufacturing $25k spending, getting 60k miles and 2 lounge passes is a good value. That's enough for a one-way biz class to Europe.
Well, 50k sign on, 5k for an AU and 10k for $25k in spend leaves you with 90k miles on the first year with no AF. I could manufacture $24k without even leaving my house every year, and some people do even more, with no cost to them.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
I'm confused. How do you get 60k miles for spending $25k on a United Card without a signup bonus? My understanding is the card earns 1 mile per dollar on all non United Purchases plus 10k bonus miles for $25k in spend which would mean you earned 35k miles after manufacturing plus pay the annual fee and manufactured spend costs!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
I'm confused. How do you get 60k miles for spending $25k on a United Card without a signup bonus? My understanding is the card earns 1 mile per dollar on all non United Purchases plus 10k bonus miles for $25k in spend which would mean you earned 35k miles after manufacturing plus pay the annual fee and manufactured spend costs!
It earns 2x at gas stations, some of which sell much more than gas
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:58 am
Suspended

It earns 2x at gas stations, some of which sell much more than gas
Only the Select card, which you can't get anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Only the Select card, which you can't get anymore.
I have the biz version that I got in July during the 60k promo. It's still offered but with lower bonus.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

I have the biz version that I got in July during the 60k promo. It's still offered but with lower bonus.
Touche.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I have this card for 2x at gas station. My friend wants to apply for it. Where can I the card? I go to united.com to find the card, but I dont see 2x at gas station?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.