Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the United devaluation change your credit card strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
We will keep the Chase MP Signature to hit 25K spending and maybe extra 10K for 5K PQM if needed. I never really need the 5K but always think it doesn't hurt. However after the devalulation, I may move the spending to SPG Amex earlier.

BF already called to cancel Chase MP Explorer. Luckily it was renewed in early October and he just got the annual fee refunded without even asking. He hasn't started using it yet (planned 2014), so only lost 90 miles which don't mean anything in the highly devaluated UA redemption chart
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atxtravel
It earns 2x at gas stations, some of which sell much more than gas
It only works in a very small area of the country and some previously working has ceased working a month or more ago.

So even if you are lucky enough to live in such states (much less populated than most), the generalization is truly meaningless to 90% of the population in the country.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happy9zz
I have this card for 2x at gas station. My friend wants to apply for it. Where can I the card? I go to united.com to find the card, but I dont see 2x at gas station?
Only the biz card version has this bonus category.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm in the minority now, but I still find UA miles immensely valuable for those of us whose main purpose of travel is to visit and enjoy as many destinations as possible around the world. I couldn't care less about "trying new product" when I fly. I'm not like some of the bloggers who spend most of their time flying or gushing over the upgraded suite, instead of getting to know the destination.
For the 14+ hours TPAC flight, sitting in coach is just too painful. We have seen enough places around the world and there is no need to go if it means to curl up in coach for longer than 10+ hours. Each extra hour above the 10th, is getting exponentially uncomfortable, to the point that could create health issue (really swollen legs and feet).

No need for F, but a flat bed is a must for those Asia / South Pacific flights. We can do Europe in coach, but not the ultra longhaul to Pacific/Indian ocean zones.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Well, I wouldn't call it painful. Maybe for those with back problems...but I just in the past few years took up heavy international travel after a 10 year hiatus, and I must say international coach isn't too bad. I was pleasantly surprised.
How old are you?

Things you can handle w/o problems in your teens/20s/30s can become very different in your late 40s/50s and beyond. And I have no specific back issues.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
How old are you?

Things you can handle w/o problems in your teens/20s/30s can become very different in your late 40s/50s and beyond. And I have no specific back issues.
I'm in my 20s and have back issues, and will continue to for the rest of my life due to an old employers policies, thus why I save for F/J long haul.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
I went through my statements and calculated that in 1 year, I earn about 25,000 bonus points (including dividend) from CSP and 27,000 from PRG (assuming 15k for 30k spend). I'm only calculating bonus points through multipliers or annual bonuses, not base spend. For CSP, 14,500 of those points came from UR mall! I concluded I earn enough from both cards that both are worth keeping. Even though AF for PRG is higher, not included here are the periodic bonuses for transfers (e.g., BA), which can be very lucrative. So while I was initially going to cancel PRG before AF was due (got it for the 50k signup bonus), I think I'm going to use both cards. With the United devaluation, I think having a stash of MR to redeem for J to Europe, Mid East, Asia etc. is definitely worthwhile. I will allocate spend to multipliers and then put every day spend on PRG to hit 30k threshold. Up until now, I've been putting everyday spend on SPG, but I think I get more return from PRG... also will keep Ink but download to no AF version for cable/phone bills/office stuff.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For the 14+ hours TPAC flight, sitting in coach is just too painful. We have seen enough places around the world and there is no need to go if it means to curl up in coach for longer than 10+ hours. Each extra hour above the 10th, is getting exponentially uncomfortable, to the point that could create health issue (really swollen legs and feet).

No need for F, but a flat bed is a must for those Asia / South Pacific flights. We can do Europe in coach, but not the ultra longhaul to Pacific/Indian ocean zones.
The original poll was if each of our card strategies would change, and for me it wouldn't. I'm simply stating my opinion and that of many of my friends (and even parents) that business and first is nice to try once in a while but it's an extravagance and they'd rather take more trips for the same miles.

Ever since getting these mile bonuses, I've tried flying business multiple times and the seat was always only marginally more comfortable and I got barely any sleep anyway, so I finally decided it's just not worth the extra miles/points. I've tried ANA, United and Lufthansa biz seats so far. From now on, I would only splurge on business if I went to Australia (but that award is hard to find) or going east over 10 hours during night-time. And I'd use USAir miles which are much less flexible so might as well burn them in large blocks.

Btw E+ on United has tons of legroom and on most flights is half empty so i have 3 seats to myself. Poor man's business class
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since almost all my awards are international and premium cabin, I'm putting my UA Explorer card away now, and my UR points will go somewhere else, I guess.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:45 am

In case it's helpful, there are tables here to compare new United chart with other options:

vs Delta, AA, US: http://milecards.com/7620/how-united...you-should-do/

vs ANA & Aeroplan via Membership Rewards: http://milecards.com/7715/alternativ...remium-awards/
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MileCards
In case it's helpful, there are tables here to compare new United chart with other options:

vs Delta, AA, US: http://milecards.com/7620/how-united...you-should-do/

vs ANA & Aeroplan via Membership Rewards: http://milecards.com/7715/alternativ...remium-awards/
Wow great charts, thanks! My only issue (which they discuss) is the assumption for YQ, which is lower for carries like TK.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Since almost all my awards are international and premium cabin, I'm putting my UA Explorer card away now, and my UR points will go somewhere else, I guess.
Where? BA or Korean? How are they any better.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:47 am

I just started with this hobby and was planning to apply in January for CSP and United cards to start to build miles...until I read the new points devaluation and started reading everyone's comments.

Ultimately, I am trying to build points for economy tickets, mainly to Europe at this point but over the long term to other places around the world. It seems United points to Europe in economy were pretty much not affected by the devaluation, although other locations took a heavy hit.

I'm a teacher who travels frequently over breaks, just got the Chase SW card and started the MS process (finally found my VR hotspot!). Starting a new round of apps at the end of January and really want to make sure I am getting the max benefit from the cards I apply for.

As a new applicant, does it make more sense for me to go the SPG/Citi AA cards or stick to UR/Chase United for the long term?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kcstraveler
As a new applicant, does it make more sense for me to go the SPG/Citi AA cards or stick to UR/Chase United for the long term?
If you're looking for economy awards, stick with UR/UA. Very generous routing rules, lots of *A partners for transatlantic awards, minimal fees. It's really easy to rack of points with Chase via the bonus points mall if you take advantage of it. Consider getting an Ink for internet/wireless/tv bills (can always downgrade to no AF version after a year).

Last edited by AirD0c; Nov 4, 2013 at 11:09 am
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where? BA or Korean? How are they any better.
Hotel, probably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.