Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Has anyone gotten a retention offer on this card? Haven't used it in over a year since I finished the 5% promo period. It has no fee, but I was thinking of closing a bunch of inactive sock drawer cards.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Does WF only approve credit card for existing customer now?

I just opened a WF saving account, saving checking for signup bonus offer in the future. When would I be eligible for applying WF visa signature card?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cloudybw
Does WF only approve credit card for existing customer now?

I just opened a WF saving account, saving checking for signup bonus offer in the future. When would I be eligible for applying WF visa signature card?
I have heard 30 days
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Cycling the CL is not a problem. I cycle my $20k limit every 3 days.

What got people shut down is pre-paying for your charges before they actually post. A csr once told me this "effectively turns this into a debit card", so they're not cool with this.
I've got a 13k CL. Should I stop depositing MOs and stop using the MOs to pay down the CC? Wondering if i should deposit it into a different bank, and then write checks to WF from the other bank. How do you pay down your card?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by subdawg
I've got a 13k CL. Should I stop depositing MOs and stop using the MOs to pay down the CC? Wondering if i should deposit it into a different bank, and then write checks to WF from the other bank. How do you pay down your card?
I deposit MOs into my WF checking account that I've had for a very long time, and pay the balance from there as soon as the charges post. Using a different bank will slow you down, and I'm not sure there's any advantage to showing up in a branch and applying the MOs directly to the card balance. If anything that would be even more obvious.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I deposit MOs into my WF checking account that I've had for a very long time, and pay the balance from there as soon as the charges post. Using a different bank will slow you down, and I'm not sure there's any advantage to showing up in a branch and applying the MOs directly to the card balance. If anything that would be even more obvious.
The only risk being WF starts asking about the MOs (if you are doing a lot). If you come clean they probably wouldn't be pleased that you are taking them for 5% on their credit card side. At least they would know you aren't money laundering!

I had a tough time with this. I deposited many thousands into my WF checking without issue but not 10's of thousands. Instead I deposited most into other checking accounts and then wrote checks depositing them into my WF account. Those posted immediately and removed the trace of the MOs. You know that old adage, don't .... where you eat. You can, it just may be more risky.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
T&C state no previous wells fargo credit card period. I'm sure some people have gotten it but YMMV.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
A lot of us have the "Platinum" card. You're issue could be either A)You didn't qualify for the card with 5x (didn't know there were levels though) or B) You didn't get the benefits b/c you had a Wells Fargo card before.
Originally Posted by fetchercity
Here's my experience trying to get a 2nd WF Card:

About 1.5 years ago, I was approved for the WF 3x College Card. I believe this was a few months before the 5x card was available. I used the card through the 6 month promotional period, and then put it in my drawer until I cancelled it a few weeks ago. There was no balance on the account at closing.

This past week, I applied for the 5x card, and was approved. However, it looks like they actually issued me the "Platinum" card with no rewards . I called in to speak with a CSR, who informed me she couldn't do anything to add the 5x promo to my card, and that I would have to write into their executive offices for a response within 30 day.

What to do?
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Well said
I couldn't have said it better

I'm looking for anyone to direct me to, or provide data points regarding this. I have a Platinum card, which I've had for years and never use. I want the 5% Signature card (obv) so I called WF and talked to a few incompetent people who shuffled me around and wasted my time.

As usual, I know the people here are WAY more competent than their support. Any further insight or updates if you're in my shoes? I really don't want to waste a hard pull and be told after applying that I don't get the 5% cb.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by LiarsDice
I'm looking for anyone to direct me to, or provide data points regarding this. I have a Platinum card, which I've had for years and never use. I want the 5% Signature card (obv) so I called WF and talked to a few incompetent people who shuffled me around and wasted my time.

As usual, I know the people here are WAY more competent than their support. Any further insight or updates if you're in my shoes? I really don't want to waste a hard pull and be told after applying that I don't get the 5% cb.
You'll waste a pull. I found out the hard way, even though their credit card support told me otherwise.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
You'll waste a pull. I found out the hard way, even though their credit card support told me otherwise.
Thanks for the information, although if true, that's a bunch of crap. Did they reference or link you to any material/ T&C etc? I've been a customer w/ WF since I was 17 w/ a great history and that's a BS way to go about business.

It doesn't surprise me though, when getting our mortgage they were the worst to deal with, and since then I've been completely turned off to them and have shifted the majority of my banking elsewhere. /rant
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
After four emails, I finally had someone who seemed to know what I was asking. Obviously not guaranteed to get the 5%, but maybe it's a bartering chip in the even I apply and don't receive the 5% cashback?

This rep even called me in an attempt to clarify the situation, which is more than any other WF rep provided me through phone or email support over the last few days.

Dear xxxxxx,
Thank you for replying to our recent email. My name is xxxxx, and it is
my pleasure to assist you today.

I apologize that our previous emails did not directly address your
question. I would like to take this opportunity to do so now.

I understand you would like to know if you would be eligible to receive
the 5% cash rewards if you applied for the Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa
Signature Card since you already have a Wells Fargo credit card.

Mr. xxxx, please be assured that having an existing card with us does
not disqualify you from being eligible for the bonus rewards.

I personally contacted our Application Line at 1-800-932-6736 to verify
this information as I was unable to find anything stating you would be
disqualified from this bonus promotion online.

I value your business and appreciate the opportunity to address your
concern. I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Thank you for banking with Wells Fargo.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:01 am

Thanks for the information, although if true, that's a bunch of crap. Did they reference or link you to any material/ T&C etc? I've been a customer w/ WF since I was 17 w/ a great history and that's a BS way to go about business.

It doesn't surprise me though, when getting our mortgage they were the worst to deal with, and since then I've been completely turned off to them and have shifted the majority of my banking elsewhere. /rant
Don't know if that helps in your situation at all, but I closed my propel card then applied for the platinum the next day and got the 5%
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:37 am

After four emails, I finally had someone who seemed to know what I was asking. Obviously not guaranteed to get the 5%, but maybe it's a bartering chip in the even I apply and don't receive the 5% cashback?

This rep even called me in an attempt to clarify the situation, which is more than any other WF rep provided me through phone or email support over the last few days.
Don't believe them.

I had the same thing happen with me. I got the application department to verify to me twice that I would qualify for the 5%. However, after getting the card, it was not applying. After many calls and "cases" being opened, the rewards department told me I did not qualify because I had a WF card open from years ago (that I haven't used for years). I was pretty mad and told them this was a bait and switch.

The rewards department person said the sales and credit card department people keep telling people the wrong information about qualifying.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by SammySpade
Don't know if that helps in your situation at all, but I closed my propel card then applied for the platinum the next day and got the 5%
I could have done the same, but my WF is my oldest card in my credit history.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:12 am

Just had the card for couple of days and it is already pissing me off. All my Large transactions keep getting declined. I even called in before I went to load my Redcard and it would still be declined. Called Wells Fargo to release the transaction, it goes through but try to load the card once more and it was declined. Called customer service to release and this time it was declined again. How long will this be going on for until my purchases go through with no problems? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by acefspadez
Just had the card for couple of days and it is already pissing me off. All my Large transactions keep getting declined. I even called in before I went to load my Redcard and it would still be declined. Called Wells Fargo to release the transaction, it goes through but try to load the card once more and it was declined. Called customer service to release and this time it was declined again. How long will this be going on for until my purchases go through with no problems? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
I'm on my 6th month. It was constant, like every other transaction for the 1st month or so. WAIT for the auto call. It takes about 5 minutes, you will not have to speak to a person. If you don't get the call, then call the automated # in the wiki. The 2nd-4th months, no issues, no fraud alerts, did about 200 transactions. Starting again on the 5th month I got the robot call and a decline every 6 transactions or so. Left the store, answered the robots questions, went back in and was good to go. It's a hassle but beats working at McDonalds for 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.