Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I'm in the middle of this $5K/6-mos now, (for 25K), so I believe you are correct. Maybe he's got a better deal, but that's the offer I found a few weeks back.
I think I just mixed up my spend requirements while I was originally editing my post. I see $5k in 6m.

For a run of the mill Amex offer, I think I'll pass. I'm trying to avoid Amex for a bit. The Hilton Amex was kind of my test balloon, but I guess as long as I don't say I make 100k when I make 30k I should be ok.

Update: Just looked into the business cards a little bit. It seems you can get one if you just say you need to keep spending separate for some venture that's related to making money. I tend to buy a certain product when they go on deep sale (think 80% off). When they go on sale locally, I buy anything I think I might possibly want. They're so cheap it's worth the risk. If I don't want them once I get them home, and after actually looking at them, I just put them on Amazon with a low price, pretty much half of them will sell within a week, usually for 3-4x what I paid for them.

Last edited by PainCorp; Feb 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I think I just mixed up my spend requirements while I was originally editing my post. I see $5k in 6m.

For a run of the mill Amex offer, I think I'll pass. I'm trying to avoid Amex for a bit. The Hilton Amex was kind of my test balloon, but I guess as long as I don't say I make 100k when I make 30k I should be ok.
Just get a second job.

Plus, it's not run of the mill, it's....SPG! Oohhhh! Ahhhhh!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Just get a second job.

Plus, it's not run of the mill, it's....SPG! Oohhhh! Ahhhhh!
I freelance, so I have many employers.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Any input on the Citi Hilton situation? I haven't been able to find any information about it. I didn't even know the Citi Hilton Gold existed before it came in the mail.
I rreally don't know what "Gold" you're talking about because every brand uses it's own nomenclature...But is it Gold like Citi Gold and Citi Platinum (with one being MC and the other being Visa) Or is just another version of Visa?

Now, this is just my opinion...but if it's just Gold Visa then I don't think the Gold Visa and the Visa Signature are 2 different products. I think the Visa Signature is higher form of Visa.
It's not like Visa and Mastercard, which are two totally different networks.
Ofcourse I could be wrong but this is what I think.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
I rreally don't know what "Gold" you're talking about because every brand uses it's own nomenclature...But is it Gold like Citi Gold and Citi Platinum (with one being MC and the other being Visa) Or is just another version of Visa?

Now, this is just my opinion...but if it's just Gold Visa then I don't think the Gold Visa and the Visa Signature are 2 different products. I think the Visa Signature is higher form of Visa.
It's not like Visa and Mastercard, which are two totally different networks.
Ofcourse I could be wrong but this is what I think.
It isn't a visa signature, and it doesn't say visa gold, but the card is visa, is gold and they call it the HHonors Gold card.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:59 pm

It isn't a visa signature, and it doesn't say visa gold, but the card is visa, is gold and they call it the HHonors Gold card.
Then I don't think you can get the Visa signature version.
Because technically Visa and Visa Signature are the same product.

Just my opinion...and I could be wrong.
Sorry, I couldn't be of any greater help.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Results of my chrun - not that great for now

This is what I ended up applying for and the results were not that encouraging.

1) Virgin Atlantic - BOA Card - Decision Pending

2) Hawaii Airlines Visa Signature - BOA Card - Decision Pending

3) Hilton Honors American Express Card - Amex - Immediate Approval

4) Chase Ink Plus - Decision Pending

5) Chase Freedom - Decision Pending

The bad news is that there was only one instant approval (even though I have waited for over 6 months since my last application and have a 770+ score)

The good news - depending on how this turns out - I did not get declined by any of the remaining 4 cards - I will start calling the reconsideration line of Bank Of America and Chase to see if they can do get me approved.

I have only one BA card - which has a credit limit of 35K and I have been with them (checking, savings etc.) for over 10 years.

I have several Chase cards with high credit limits so I hope I can convince them to allow me to move my credit lines. I also opened a chase checking account so that would help with the freedom card application and have an Ink Bold already so I will ask them if I can get the Ink Plus since it's not a charge card.

Since I already hit the trigger now, is there something else that I can also be shooting for? I already have to spend about $7500 in the next 3 months - if I get approved for all the cards - so I am looking for suggestions on other low spend deals.

Thanks all for your advice.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:18 pm
Suspended

There's a Citi HHonors card that's $1,500 in 6 months. Not bad since you can spread it out.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
There's a Citi HHonors card that's $1,500 in 6 months. Not bad since you can spread it out.
Really?

All I have is a link to these two

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...E96CEFB5095B2A

and

Both of them have spending in 4 months.

Can you provide me the link to the 6 months spend card - I might as well add that to the churn.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by floyd777
Really?

All I have is a link to these two

and

Both of them have spending in 4 months.

Can you provide me the link to the 6 months spend card - I might as well add that to the churn.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nors-visa.html
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 am

I never got the hang on AP or VR - from what I know AP needs two people to transfer money back and forth and VR was all pulled out from most office depots etc?
In short, AP let's you transfer money from A-->B (unidirectional ONLY!) using a credit card. This appears as a regular charge and not as a cash advance.

VR is basically a reload card that you can buy with your credit card. They were pulled from OD but you can still find them at CVS.

There is a dedicated thread for both topics. PM me if you want in depth information about this stuff. Be happy to help.

I have only one BA card - which has a credit limit of 35K and I have been with them (checking, savings etc.) for over 10 years.

I have several Chase cards with high credit limits so I hope I can convince them to allow me to move my credit lines. I also opened a chase checking account so that would help with the freedom card application and have an Ink Bold already so I will ask them if I can get the Ink Plus since it's not a charge card.
Well, you did mention that you have been carrying credit card balances for a while...This is probably what caused the flags to go up.

When it comes to Chase- ask them if there's any further information you can provide to speed up the approval process. If they still deny you, ONLY THEN tell them that you want to move some credit limit from the BA card. Heck $5k from each and you'll get approved for both the chase cards.

As to BOA, I have never had a problem getting the credit analysts to approve a card. I've always gotten real nice analysts who got me approved each time.

Do you have an existing BoA card? You may have to move some credit then...Also if they ask you why you want two cards- Just tell them it's so that you can separate expenses.

Cheers. ^
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:31 am

Planning my first AOR

I would like to go to Hawaii for 7-8 nights in either November or December, so I am trying to figure out which cards I need. I would fly out of Cincinnati. Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking of going for the following for both my girlfriend and I:

Citi Select AA Amex (50k)
Citi Gold AA MC (30k)
Chase United Mileage Plus (30k)

Then for hotels I was thinking either the Fairmont or Hyatt cards to cover 4 days. Then either pay for a cheap room the other nights or find a Hilton card. How many Hilton points would be needed to cover 3-4 nights in Hawaii? Too many? Maybe another card would be better?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:52 am

Good to know there are folks who are willing to help newbies ^^

Originally Posted by jatink129
There is a dedicated thread for both topics. PM me if you want in depth information about this stuff. Be happy to help.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:21 pm

AoR: 'Impersonating' your spouse on a reconsideration call?

I did my AoR in January and I convinced my wife to join the game this month on 2/15. I did all of the work for her and filled out the applications. She just gets the cards and spends - since that's what she does best. Her credit score is above 800 on Experian and her FIKO score is 767 on CreditKarma. I used our combined income numbers on the apps since she only works part-time and makes about $10K per year.

She had two immediate approvals for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Hyatt Visa.

The other three got the dreaded "you'll be hearing from us within 30 days" message. They include the 40K US Airways Mastercard, 35K BoH Hawaiian Visa, and 35K BoA Hawaiian Visa card - first cards for all. We received no e-mail confirmations either. I'm starting to worry that the apps even went through.

It's now been 10 days and we haven't heard a peep from Barclays, BoH, or BoA.

Can I call the reconsideration lines to see what the hold up is and "pretend" to be her or tell them I'm her spouse calling on her behalf? I have access to all of the relevant answers since I filled out the apps for her. Or should we just wait it out to see what comes in the mail?

If the apps somehow didn't go through, then we've wasted an opportunity for this churn.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I don't know if you are male or female, but if you are male, pretending to be a woman on the phone can be pretty tough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.