Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:17 am

45k posted too, great job ST. I do miss my daily visits to Walmart and weekly visits to bank.

I am going to try and change to signature account to continue earn 48k per year.
    Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
    Originally Posted by troyhouse
    45k posted too, great job ST. I do miss my daily visits to Walmart and weekly visits to bank.

I am going to try and change to signature account to continue earn 48k per year.
    53K posted today! It was a good run. I'll probably stick with the 2K per month option till next June when my annual fee rolls around again.

Andyandy
    Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta PM
    I also got my final posting and it was the expected amount. Now on to 4k a month. Cheers!
    Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
    Originally Posted by andyandy
    53K posted today! It was a good run. I'll probably stick with the 2K per month option till next June when my annual fee rolls around again.

Andyandy
    Sun Trust has exceeded my expectations for this wind up and along the way tax payments credit and no/high monthly caps. Those benefits will be dearly missed. Hopefully, the huge hole left by loss will be filled by someone else.

Realistically, without choosing MS and the ongoing effort to work that system, for the same annual fee, the Amex Delta card is now much more valuable with 1 point per dollar (2x for Delta purchases), priority boarding, and no monthly cap. Their customer service is great too. Using the Amex can be a challenge though. The huge sign up bonuses clearly run circles around the meager possible earnings from ST, so that also directs potential spend away from ST.
    Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:22 am

For me Amex was always the way to go (esp with the MQM boots) however this card was/is the goto for places that don't accept Amex. Sadly I seem to find a lot of those places.
    Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
    Deleted
    So DL doesnt see it and so ppl dont hit hard and kill new gigs

Last edited by Marathon Man; Aug 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm
    Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:18 am

I tip my hat to you good sir. That was quite the story and makes me feel like I should have gone WAY harder. Well played.
    Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:33 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
    Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
    I tip my hat to you good sir. That was quite the story and makes me feel like I should have gone WAY harder. Well played.
    cheers

Ya never do know what is harder or not... I shoulda gone harder too.

I will add I did get the money back from WALMART... it took a few weeks tho and some touchy calls to ST trying not to tell em what exactly I was buying there lol

It was around this time I was reported to have said that in order to MS you have to be able to float money. Of course that doesn't mean you SHOULD have to and someone should be able to take it, but yah whatever.
    Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:45 am

Great story. I thought I was hitting it pretty hard at around $50K/month. I guess not...
    Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
    For those that didn't get a chance to read MM's original post at 10:52am today, here's the short tl;dr version:

MM was hitting ST hard since circa 2005. Then one day WM screwed up and temporarily gave him $8k in MOs without charging him. MM was a good guy and told them but he screwed himself and got banned from the area by WM market region manager. MM then had to travel/get creative to do any real volume. He set a large goal once the ST RIP announcement came out in May and thanks to many, many trips to WM, he hit his goal. Blogs didn't kill this one but watch out, blogs are evil. Only communicate in small groups and via smoke signals. The End.*

Editor's Note Disclaimer: Some artistic license was taken in the recreation of this summary. While events were represented as accurately as possible, any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
    Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
    So I'm not sure if I should have waited on this given no miles posted last night, but it's time to move on with my strategy and I wanted to report that I just successfully upgraded my Balanced Banking checking account to the Signature Advantage product via Online Chat. For the record I am not located in a ST state but fortunately that didn't come up. Here's a transcript of the conversation:

Thank you for visiting suntrust.com. Before typing your first message please wait for the representative to respond. For your protection, this SunTrust online chat is entirely secure.
    You are now chatting with 'ST'

ST: Good morning! Thank you for Chatting with SunTrust! How may I assist you today?
    JayTeaBee: Hello, I was wondering if I am able to convert my existing account to the Signature Advantage product?
    !

completed my conversion too and go the confirmation of 4k per month.
    Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

New Info - ST issuing DL Debit Cards Again

ST is issuing new DL Debit cards with a 5k signup bonus with the new monthly limits that went into effect 7-25-15.

I learned this yesterday when I went into a branch location to upgrade my balanced banking account to a signature advantage account. The representative showed me an information sheet she printed on 7-23-15 with the new guidelines that were effective 7-25-15. If you search the ST website you will see where this card is now listed as an option again.

There are a lot less miles available, but if you meet the minimum deposit and don't pay a maintenance fee for the signature advantage account, then you'll earn a maximum of 48k and pay a $75 annual fee. It's not bad. Assuming nothing else changes, I can buy an intl ticket for 140k miles +tax in 3 years for 3 years' worth of annual fees, or about $225. The intl ticket would normally be in the $1200-$1800 range, for the destination I frequent a lot. The annual fee could increase, or they could lower the monthly limit from 4k to something else. I'll reevaluate year by year. It's good the option is back for new accounts.

I kinda wonder if my wife can open an account linked to mine so she doesn't also have to meet the minimum deposit to avoid the monthly maintenance fee, and get another DL card in her name with her DL#. If I try it I will report back.
    Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
    Originally Posted by Daytona600
    ST is issuing new DL Debit cards with a 5k signup bonus with the new monthly limits that went into effect 7-25-15.

I learned this yesterday when I went into a branch location to upgrade my balanced banking account to a signature advantage account. The representative showed me an information sheet she printed on 7-23-15 with the new guidelines that were effective 7-25-15. If you search the ST website you will see where this card is now listed as an option again.

There are a lot less miles available, but if you meet the minimum deposit and don't pay a maintenance fee for the signature advantage account, then you'll earn a maximum of 48k and pay a $75 annual fee. It's not bad. Assuming nothing else changes, I can buy an intl ticket for 140k miles +tax in 3 years for 3 years' worth of annual fees, or about $225. The intl ticket would normally be in the $1200-$1800 range, for the destination I frequent a lot. The annual fee could increase, or they could lower the monthly limit from 4k to something else. I'll reevaluate year by year. It's good the option is back for new accounts.

I kinda wonder if my wife can open an account linked to mine so she doesn't also have to meet the minimum deposit to avoid the monthly maintenance fee, and get another DL card in her name with her DL#. If I try it I will report back.
    You have NO idea how many miles will actually be required for that award when you go to book it in 3 years. That is why I'm abandoning the ST card. Both Delta and ST changes combined are what killed this deal.
    Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
    Originally Posted by Daytona600

That may be good news for those who live in states with their branches.

If your purpose is Delta miles, using a Delta Amex Gold would get you better benefits including no monthly caps, 2x on Delta purhases, a sign up that has often been 10 times the ST card sign-up, no minimum balance (since it is a credit card), and perks like priority boarding and dealing with a company that has their customer service really fine tuned, especially for traveling abroad issues such as replacing a lost/stolen card.
    Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
    Delete. Wrong thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.