Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Welder
Applied with direct link for 30k+100, was approved only with 2k limit. This is my first BOFA card ever. Called recon about increasing CL and I was told that initially pulled from EX, and I could apply for a CL increase, independently, and they'd do another pull from TU. I said no thanks, especially in light of the previous post, that the CL increase wouldn't result in the higher sign-up bonus.

ETA: never mind, false alarm!
I called BOFA again and they confirmed I had the sign up offer.
After reading the T&C on the offer again, it's clear that I do NOT have the 30k bonus, rather the 5k, as everyone has said.

DROPR indeed.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Was the first app today? If so, getting another HP today doesn't matter, as they will combine and only show one app having been done. If you do it the day after the first app, then it will show up as two.

Easiest option is probably to reapply right away, hope it goes to pending, or temporary denial, based on the first app. Then call Recon and they will probably approve the second app for a Sig, and you can cancel the just approved Plat.

There is also a process to have B/A replace the first app with a Sig, but it takes 2 months to complete is a total PITA.

Having gotten a mere Plat means absolutely nothing about your credit rating, or even what B/A thinks of your credit rating. Twice in the past I was instantly approved for a Plat, reapplied right away, and Recon had no problem at all approving the second app for a Sig with a significant CL. B/A is just weird that way.

If the first CSR you get doesn't seem to want to work with you, just politely say goodbye, hang up and wait a minute or so for that CSR to move on to the next client, then call back and get someone more responsive. Don't even begin to think it's a lost cause until you've been turned down 4 times, which I sincerely doubt will happen.
Thanks. Got the pending on the 2nd app. Any particular line of persuasion for the CSR?

Update - Not approved for Signature card based on "amount of credit already extended and lack of resources invested in our institution" or something like that. The amount of credit extended is currently $6100, so that doesn't make any sense. I don't have other BofA accounts but I didn't know that was a thing. Keep trying with different people or will I get the same answer?

Update 2 - Although I guess from the conclusion of my call they perhaps cancelled the second app so that's that. Now I need to decide what to do with this useless card. I don't really need the companion fare. Cancel now and move on, or any reason to keep another account open?

Last edited by ucdtim17; Jun 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That wouldn't be due to a Chase 5/24, that would be like Citi for the past decade or longer!

In other words, Citi has long had a limit of about 6 inquiries in the past 6 months. Some people are allowed 7, maybe 8, but other people only 6.

If you do the math, 6 in 6 months is the same "rate" as 12 in 12 months, so I don't see why it would be considered something radically new and only possible to be inspired by Chase's 5/24.

Lots of banks have limits on inquiries, it's just that the actual limits are not as well documented at other banks as at Citi, perhaps because Citi only goes back 6 months and because in the past Citi had several cards you could churn even more quickly than BofA AS can be churned now, and that alone could get you to about 6 inquiries in 6 months if you did those at that max rate (8/65).

Because I've been applying for Citi cards forever, I've tried to stay within 6 in 6 forever, and thus I'm naturally under 12 in 12 too. (That still doesn't get me anywhere near 5/24, unfortunately.)
Yeah that makes sense, I also tried to do 1 per month but the Chase Hyatt card going 5/24 forced my hand. Oh well...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Because I've been applying for Citi cards forever, I've tried to stay within 6 in 6 forever, and thus I'm naturally under 12 in 12 too. (That still doesn't get me anywhere near 5/24, unfortunately.)
If you've been getting approved for Citi cards "forever", you are almost certainly not limited to 6/6. That's the beginning level for those without much history with Citi. Those of us with long histories with Citi have easily been getting approved, often instantly, at 8/6, and sometimes even more than that.

I did once have Citi deny my app when I was at 11/6, so there is a limit. I just waited a couple of months for some of those HPs to drop off, and when I got back to a more reasonable level I got an instant approval again. So it seems to be true that they only look back 6 months, and they have a short memory.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Thanks. Got the pending on the 2nd app. Any particular line of persuasion for the CSR?

Update - Not approved for Signature card based on "amount of credit already extended and lack of resources invested in our institution" or something like that. The amount of credit extended is currently $6100, so that doesn't make any sense. I don't have other BofA accounts but I didn't know that was a thing. Keep trying with different people or will I get the same answer?

Update 2 - Although I guess from the conclusion of my call they perhaps cancelled the second app so that's that. Now I need to decide what to do with this useless card. I don't really need the companion fare. Cancel now and move on, or any reason to keep another account open?
I assume you are going to want to apply again in the future. So if you keep the "useless" card ( I agree about that BTW) it will only make it less likely you will get approved then. Especially since one of their complaints was amount of CL already extended. Keeping the Plat open just makes that worse.

I'd think the thing to do is cancel the Plat, lower the CL on the existing AS Sig card to $3K, and start spending on it every month. I don't have solid data points, but it seems since I've started regular spending on my open AS cards I've gone from Plat approvals to Sig approvals. My guess is that if you lower your total CL with B/A to $3K, and spend @$1K a month on the open AS card for 3 or 4 months, that will make a world of difference next time.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:15 am

I assume you are going to want to apply again in the future. So if you keep the "useless" card ( I agree about that BTW) it will only make it less likely you will get approved then. Especially since one of their complaints was amount of CL already extended. Keeping the Plat open just makes that worse.

I'd think the thing to do is cancel the Plat, lower the CL on the existing AS Sig card to $3K, and start spending on it every month. I don't have solid data points, but it seems since I've started regular spending on my open AS cards I've gone from Plat approvals to Sig approvals. My guess is that if you lower your total CL with B/A to $3K, and spend @$1K a month on the open AS card for 3 or 4 months, that will make a world of difference next time.
I have pretty regular spend on AS flights on the AS card, so I don't think I really want to go lower than $5k on that for now. The only thing I can think of is maybe there's a longer delay in reporting the previous $17k to $5k CL reduction than I was anticipating? I think it was at least a month or two ago I requested that. Anyways, canceling Plat card today and I'll sit tight for a while - thanks
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:55 pm

I have pretty regular spend on AS flights on the AS card, so I don't think I really want to go lower than $5k on that for now. The only thing I can think of is maybe there's a longer delay in reporting the previous $17k to $5k CL reduction than I was anticipating? I think it was at least a month or two ago I requested that. Anyways, canceling Plat card today and I'll sit tight for a while - thanks
A month after lowering the CL should have been plenty.

If you are spending enough on your current card to actually need a $5K CL, I can't imagine why you weren't approved.

I just got a 3rd card (cards from 3 and 6 months ago still open) with a $18K CL. And as I said I'm only spending from $500 to $1K a month on my cards.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've been getting approved for Citi cards "forever", you are almost certainly not limited to 6/6. That's the beginning level for those without much history with Citi. Those of us with long histories with Citi have easily been getting approved, often instantly, at 8/6, and sometimes even more than that.

I did once have Citi deny my app when I was at 11/6, so there is a limit. I just waited a couple of months for some of those HPs to drop off, and when I got back to a more reasonable level I got an instant approval again. So it seems to be true that they only look back 6 months, and they have a short memory.
True now, but not well known until relatively recently. Until a few years ago, and definitely a decade ago, the assumption on FT was that it was a limit of 6/6, and no exceptions were documented for a long time. So I don't know whether Citi has always "tailored" it to the individual, or if that just started a few years ago, and if that's why the reports of it only started a few years ago.

Since you only appear to have joined FT about 3 years ago, I can understand why you wouldn't be familiar with the era when this "tailored" number of inquiries in the last 6 months at Citi was either not known or didn't exist yet.

And I got into my churning habits many years ago (for example, long before all the famous MS methods, including "the mint", existed). I got into only applying at the rate that I could fulfill the minimum spend on all cards "naturally" (while still using certain long-held cards for certain merchants virtually all year long), and that seemed to "dovetail" with 6/6 (or 12/12) pretty well for me. When MS came along, I looked into it "as a backup", but I've never yet once done true MS. (The only time I've bought Visa gift cards at the grocery store is once a year when my SoCal AAA insurance payments are due, and for insurance the SoCal AAA only accepts debit cards, not credit cards.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 8, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:26 pm

A month after lowering the CL should have been plenty.

If you are spending enough on your current card to actually need a $5K CL, I can't imagine why you weren't approved.

I just got a 3rd card (cards from 3 and 6 months ago still open) with a $18K CL. And as I said I'm only spending from $500 to $1K a month on my cards.
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. Only other way it would make sense is if they want to spite me for reducing credit on one card and then applying for another - "You had $20k total credit and didn't want it? OK, we'll only give you $10k total now"

That's what it feels like at least. Anyways, moving on ...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:26 pm

Got a 35k mailer that looks to be targeted to BOA customers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:18 pm

boys?

boys????
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:54 am

How often can you churn the personal Alaska Airlines card?

I've asked this question twice on the Alaska Airlines flame free thread to no avail.

I just opened the Alaska airlines personal card in April of this year. How often can I churn it to get the bonus?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:25 am

Only other way it would make sense is if they want to spite me for reducing credit on one card and then applying for another - "You had $20k total credit and didn't want it? OK, we'll only give you $10k total now".
I doubt that, as I've been reducing the CL on my existing cards to $3k or $5K for the last 4 or 5 apps, and I keep getting higher and higher CLs as I go along. For my recent app, I lowered the 6 month old card to $3K, and the 3 month old card to $5K, and got a CL of $18K on my app a couple of weeks ago.

Something else went wrong with your app, and it might be worth it to call Recon again and see if a different CSR can tell what it was, and maybe fix it for you.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:23 am

I doubt that, as I've been reducing the CL on my existing cards to $3k or $5K for the last 4 or 5 apps, and I keep getting higher and higher CLs as I go along. For my recent app, I lowered the 6 month old card to $3K, and the 3 month old card to $5K, and got a CL of $18K on my app a couple of weeks ago.

Something else went wrong with your app, and it might be worth it to call Recon again and see if a different CSR can tell what it was, and maybe fix it for you.
Called back and they stuck with the $3900 CL based on number of accounts with BofA (two cards w/$6100 total credit) and overall credit report. I tried to get her to admit that was ridiculous but she defaulted to same reply. In any event, closed Plat card and moving on
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Did you try to move $1100 credit to get to the Signature minimum on the day of application?

I thought that was the whole reason for applying during weekday business hours so you could immediately call to clear things up if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.