Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying
I plan to downgrade it to QS. So if I do it around 11 months right before the AF hits is there a danger of claw back?
If your concern is the AF, it seems that lots of people are getting it credited back just by calling. I'd call after the AF post. I believe Capital One refunds the fee if you cancel/PC within 30 days of AF posting.
Dream of Flying likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Capital One Venture product change to Quicksilver

So looking for some insight / data points. I've had the CO Venture card for 9 years now. Not sure how many times I've actually paid the annual fee, as I usually call in and they offer to waive the fee. Did the same this year and was told not possible, totally fine. They suggested I product change to quicksilver or Venture One with no AF. Sounded like a good option, but rep stated that the current AF that posted on 10/8 would not be refunded??? How does that make sense? The annual fee is for benefits of the Venture card, which I would no longer have. Does this sound correct?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
....rep stated that the current AF that posted on 10/8 would not be refunded...
Similar report in post 333.

Look at your previous month's paper or PDF statement. There should be a reminder that your annual fee will appear on the next statement, and it may tell you what you must do to avoid paying the fee.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:14 pm

Anyone get it waived in November? Mine hit a few days ago and no waiver as of right now. She told me to check back later as they might change
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Capital One retention offers??

I just got hit with my $95 fee. I was wondering if anyone has had success in getting them to waive the fee or points for renewal?

UPDATE: After reading that several people have gotten the fee waived with no hassle, I decided to try. NO LUCK! She was nice but told me the system said a waived fee was not available to me. By the way, I have about $50k in a Capital One 360 account, so that wasn't any help. I'll try again in a few days with a different agent. I have a trip coming up so maybe I can cancel out the cost with the rest of my points--only 5k--and get rid of the card.
​​​​​​
Second UPDATE: Cancelling the card after I spent my last points on an Amazon purchase and got $10 off the order using my Cap One so the entire purchase was only $1.

Last edited by Bohemiana; Dec 31, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I was so happy that I was able to cancel this card yesterday without speaking to a human. First time I was ever able to do so with any card.

$95 annual fee was credited back today.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:54 pm

AF for my Savor is set to post on this month's statement. Had the card since 03/2019. AF was waived for 2020. Less than $2000 spend during the last 12 months.

I know some have had luck w/ getting the annual fee waived after it posts; however, confirmed that the only ways to guarantee a refund are to product change before the AF posts OR cancel within 40 days.

No retention offer. Ended up going w/ the product change. Between the AMEX Gold & Freedom Flex, there was no reason for me to risk paying the AF for this card.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:03 pm

They really seem to be stubborn about annual fee waivers lately, even for customers with substantial balances. The past several years I have had the waiver offer on my account, as long as I called to request it. This year, no dice. I even spoke to a supervisor, who didn't have authority to waive it either. The strange thing is, once the fee posts, the only way to get it credited is to close the account. As reported previously, there is no incentive to product change to a no annual fee card because the fee would not be waived once it posts. I told them it sounded like they didn't want to keep my business!
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
I have cancelled probably 50 credit cards in my life, and I can't remember 1 where I actually called in and talked to a live person.

I decide if a card is worth it: If NO, then mail a letter with a cut up card (in the old days). or sent a message via the secure messaging on the card issuers website. I don't want to be "sold" or up/down graded. Finished.

Frankly, I am amazed at the number of people who think $95 is a big deal. If you aren't getting the value, it is a no brainer. Why are you playing this game if $95 is a big deal?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:37 am

Annual fee hit on Spark Business Card a few days ago. I called today and asked if they could waive it.

After going over the value of the card that is provided by the annual fee, the agent said she was able to waive it and a credit will appear on the account in 3-5 days.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by wolfie52
I have cancelled probably 50 credit cards in my life, and I can't remember 1 where I actually called in and talked to a live person.

I decide if a card is worth it: If NO, then mail a letter with a cut up card (in the old days). or sent a message via the secure messaging on the card issuers website. I don't want to be "sold" or up/down graded. Finished.

Frankly, I am amazed at the number of people who think $95 is a big deal. If you aren't getting the value, it is a no brainer. Why are you playing this game if $95 is a big deal?
This is a game of pennies and $95 is 9500 pennies.

$95 isn’t a big deal, but many of us have 7, 8, 9, 10+ cards with annual fees. If you aren’t proactive dumping ones that don’t provide excess value you can quickly eat up any of the gains you’re making playing the game.
LeastP likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 6:46 am

I just got approved for Venture X.

I also have the regular Venture card, and the annual fee just hit. I want to close this card and get the fee refunded. Do I need to do anything other than transferring points earned on the old card to the new card before cancelling it? I still don't have the new card physically, so naturally I haven't activated it. I don't want to lose the old points!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by Prancer
I just got approved for Venture X.

I also have the regular Venture card, and the annual fee just hit. I want to close this card and get the fee refunded. Do I need to do anything other than transferring points earned on the old card to the new card before cancelling it? I still don't have the new card physically, so naturally I haven't activated it. I don't want to lose the old points!
If it allows you to transfer online, you can just go ahead and do that. You can close the Venture online as well.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boogywoogy
If it allows you to transfer online, you can just go ahead and do that. You can close the Venture online as well.
Thanks. But I assume I have to call to get the annual fee refunded ?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by Prancer
Thanks. But I assume I have to call to get the annual fee refunded ?
You're welcome. Nope, the fee automatically gets credited back, if closed within 45 days of it being assessed, regardless of how you close it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.