Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by kebosabi
The spreadsheet should also mention that BofA does waive international ATM fees (but not the FTF fee) when using global ATM alliance members' ATMs.

This would be helpful if those who currently are BofA customers end up travelling to Canada for example, can be pointed to look for Scotiabank ATMs, UK travelers to look for Barclays, travelers to Germany can look for DeutscheBank ATMs, etc.
You know of course that you were the inspiration for creating a Google doc. Maybe we should a column to know if these banks offer an EMV version as well
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:45 am
Suspended

There are already is a FlyerGuide document outlining the options:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...d_credit_cards
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You know of course that you were the inspiration for creating a Google doc. Maybe we should a column to know if these banks offer an EMV version as well
Well I can't take all the credit for the Google docs idea as it's just how the way I and probably most of us millennials do work nowadays.

EMV for debit cards hopefully should be coming soon as the debit networks finalize all the loose ends.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Just looked up, and saw that I'm considered a millenial. Therefore I can say that it gets tiring knowing all the different media we need to use to work!
Google Drive, piratepad, Dropbox, Evernote, etc. (not to mention the classics - email, flash drive, etc.)
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Citi has engaged in a lot of flim flam marketing over the years about this.

As a Citigold account holder, years ago there was no fee if you used a Citi ATM overseas--lots of promotion of this benefit. Then that was very quietly dropped. Now, as I understand it, everyone gets hit with a 3% fee for overseas use of a Citi ATM, Citigold or not.
Fun fact: they still advertise this overseas. In the baggage claim areas of both TPE and HKG I noticed huge billboards advertising that Citi allows its cardholders to withdraw cash at any of its ATMs free of charge, and the "fine print" only said "excluding Australia".
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Just looked up, and saw that I'm considered a millenial. Therefore I can say that it gets tiring knowing all the different media we need to use to work!
Google Drive, piratepad, Dropbox, Evernote, etc. (not to mention the classics - email, flash drive, etc.)
That's why millennials are also referred as "excellent multi-taskers."

We grew up with lots of choices (SNES vs Sega Genesis, Street Fighter II vs Mortal Kombat, Japanese anime vs American cartoons) we end up working with lots of choices.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
There are already is a FlyerGuide document outlining the options:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...d_credit_cards
Seems slightly outdated since it doesn't mention specific cards like Chase Sapphire or Discover being FTF free, as an example.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:13 pm

Does either Schwab or Fidelity do a hard pull to open one of the free checking accounts? We'll be overseas for 5+ weeks this summer and will need a debit card without fees. Also, are there any minimum balances required for either account?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Superorb
Does either Schwab or Fidelity do a hard pull to open one of the free checking accounts? We'll be overseas for 5+ weeks this summer and will need a debit card without fees. Also, are there any minimum balances required for either account?
I don't recall Fidelity doing a hard pull and I don't think there is a minimum, as I've let the balance sink as low as $300.

My inlaws use CapOne in Mexico and elsewhere and have never had a problem.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:56 pm

Is the Fidelity account a checking account? I can't find any info on their website about anything other than trading and retirement accounts.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the Fidelity account a checking account? I can't find any info on their website about anything other than trading and retirement accounts.
Fidelity is actually a trading account but you don't have to make any trades. Schwab is actually a bank account.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Schwab is a hard pull. Fidelity is a soft (or was one at least).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Planning on going to Cozumel and arriving in Cancun , looking for an ATM card without fees, in my search all I know is that Santander ( Mexican bank) ATMs do not have fees but what about the debit card I use? I do not want to use the present checking account debit card from my local small town bank and am looking to open another account with a limited amount in the bank just for this trip.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my last trip I discovered that all Mexican ATMs now have fees to get cash. The ones I checked ranged from 20-60 pesos so it pays to shop. Santander was no exception. These fees are in addition to what your own bank charges (if any).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Fidelity is actually a trading account but you don't have to make any trades. Schwab is actually a bank account.
I'd stick with Schwab then just for the FDIC insurance. Though if Fidelity went down we're in for a lot of trouble.

The hard pull is annoying. Especially since every identity verification question they asked was "None of the above." Not owning a house or car makes it difficult to pepper you with questions about mortgages and car loans.

A nice benefit of the Schwab account is you can request a free second factor code verification key chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.