Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As best I can tell, my Fidelity Visa Debit card charges a 1% fee, which may be the Visa network fee. I know I get a pretty good exchange rate at ATM's in Canada.

I think you can open a Fidelity account in the USA as a non-resident, you might have to go to a Fidelity Investor Center and show your passport and give a USA address.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
As best I can tell, my Fidelity Visa Debit card charges a 1% fee, which may be the Visa network fee. I know I get a pretty good exchange rate at ATM's in Canada.

I think you can open a Fidelity account in the USA as a non-resident, you might have to go to a Fidelity Investor Center and show your passport and give a USA address.
Thanks!

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...d_credit_cards
I don't understand... I see some 1% some 0% here. Both Visa and MasterCard.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Not really too sure what you mean by no forex fee debit cards. Does this mean using your debit card as an ATM card and withdrawing cash abroad in local currency and not being dinged with fees?

If so, Bank of America comes to mind with the Global ATM Alliance.

You can use your BofA debit card to withdraw cash from your BofA bank account at Global ATM Alliance members (Scotiabank in Canada, Deutsche Bank in Germany, PNB Paribas in France, Westpac in Australia, etc.) and you get local currency at the day's exchange rate with no fees or ATM surcharges.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Trev's question has been appended to an ongoing discussion of the same topic. Reviewing the preceding posts should provide some useful leads.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Not really too sure what you mean by no forex fee debit cards. Does this mean using your debit card as an ATM card and withdrawing cash abroad in local currency and not being dinged with fees?

If so, Bank of America comes to mind with the Global ATM Alliance.
Yes exactly that's what I'm looking for. Also a fee free account attached to the card would look nice. I heard that Bank of America opens accounts for non residents quite easily.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by trev
Yes exactly that's what I'm looking for. Also a fee free account attached to the card would look nice. I heard that Bank of America opens accounts for non residents quite easily.
Well, if you happen to be a country resident of any of those Global ATM Alliance banks, you can just open an account at those banks and reciprocally, just withdraw USD at any BofA ATM in the US from your bank account.

A US resident who has a BofA account can withdraw CAD from Scotiabank ATMs in Canada.
Likewise, a Canadian resident who has a Scotiabank account can withdraw USD from BofA ATMs in the US.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm
Old May 30, 2012, 7:23 pm

Wait... Bank of America checking account is $9 per month. Or free if I do only online banking? If I understand correctly. Is it a good bank to deal with? Or do you have another recommendation as well?

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...d_credit_cards
BofA also charges 3% for foreign point of sale transactions? Not cool.

Last edited by mia; May 31, 2012 at 8:28 am
Old May 30, 2012, 7:27 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...Holders.5B2.5D
The 1% - 3% International Transaction Fee/Foreign Currency Fee - not waived under the Global ATM Alliance.

Still confused.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by flydeu
For those in Germany, DKB offer fee free cash withdrawls to any currency worldwide and the exchange rate is generally the same or slightly better than other providers.
Do they have USD accounts? They only have euro accounts - correct?
Old May 30, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I've got a local credit union that refunds all charges for ATM's and forex. I've used it abroad and gotten refuned at the end of the month as long as I do 10 debit purchases, 1 direct deposit, and 1 bill payment a month. Which is no problem. Plus 1.75% interest on balance and no fees. So I would check out some local creit unions. I'm sure they don't see that much in forex fees normally.

Last edited by jjmiller69; May 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Old May 30, 2012, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Sounds cool! Do you have for them a normal phone number which is not a 800 number which can be called from outside the US?
You can call 1-800 numbers from outside the USA. They're just not toll-free.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:10 am

Wait... Bank of America checking account is $9 per month. Or free if I do only online banking? If I understand correctly. Is it a good bank to deal with? Or do you have another recommendation as well?
It's free if you do online banking, only use the ATM machine for withdraws and deposits, opt-in for paperless statements, and never go inside the bank to deal with a live person.

Everything else is the same as a normal checking account; you get an BofA VISA debit card, a checking account, and can start writing checks. You can make deposits of USD denominated cash, checks, and money orders at any BofA ATM machine. Alas, they won't accept deposits of US coins however which is my main gripe with any US ATM. Once you have your BofA VISA debit card, you can make withdraws in Global ATM Alliance partners in local currency based on your BofA eBanking checking account.

AFAIK, my mother uses BofA eBanking and she's satisfied with them. If my 62 year old mom who barely speaks English can figure it out, anyone can.

The only pre-requisite to open a BofA eBanking checking account is to have a valid SSN, a valid US phone number, a valid US address so they can send you the debit card, and an existing bank account or debit card to fund the initial deposit.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 31, 2012 at 1:21 am
Old May 31, 2012, 1:49 am
In memoriam

Can't say the BoA is worst in America 'cause there is so much competition.

But, it is way up there.

Schwab Bank ATM card is a much better overseas choice.

Unfortunately, Schwab closed up their credit card which offered no fees foreign purchases.

Chase Sapphire Preferred is an option to look at. No forex charges on purchases.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Greetings: As a casual - ish traveler and long time B of A account-holder, my experiences with B of A debit card overseas have been very good overall. I have used it all over the UK with no trouble. It took me several tries to get things straitened out when I tried to use it at the China Construction Bank ATM's in Chengdu & Beijing, but once we got it straitened out, I didn't have any problem. It does go without saying though ( even though I'm saying it!), call them before you leave at let them know where you're going to use it.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You can call 1-800 numbers from outside the USA. They're just not toll-free.
I would be interested to know HOW you can cal 1-800 from aboard other than using Skype. If you are not travel with a device, or not a Skype account owner, you are out of luck.

Normally the call would NOT even go thru, toll or no toll. The system simply would not recognize the 1-800 number. That is why ALL cards (credit or debit) would have the "normal" telephone number also on the back of the card for International collect call.

The only financial institution I know that actually have Toll Free International number for a lot of countries, is Fidelity - the extensive list is on its website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.