Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
As best I can tell, my Fidelity Visa Debit card charges a 1% fee, which may be the Visa network fee. I know I get a pretty good exchange rate at ATM's in Canada.
It is in the T&Cs but it is never actually charged based on the historic exchange rates I checked. I used it exclusively in Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Europe and Canada, covering probably over 50 countries if not more. There was never a 1% extra built in the exchange rate. The rates hardly varied more than 0.5% if that much when comparing to the inter-bank mean daily rate. The explicit 1% fee charged by BNP was the FIRST I ever encountered in the history of using it.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:36 pm

What bugs me about BofA is the 3% foreign purchase fee. Steep.

Chase Sapphire Preferred will not cut it for me - it's a credit card and I am not a US person. Just someone added my question to this already established thread.

I may look for a credit union around NY (that is the arrival point) that's a good idea! Any ideas for a good credit union in the NY area?

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...d_credit_cards
So here 1% is 1% and 0% is 0%? I should look for the 0% option rather than the 1%?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:47 pm

So where can I find the international (non 800) numbers for USAA, and Fidelity? It's annoying that they don't have international numbers on their site. If a US person baking with them and he is abroad he gets onto trouble

For BofA I just found this number:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...lost_popup.cfm
But no one is on the phone. Strange.

Last edited by mia; May 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trev
... I am not a US person.
It might prove helpful if you were to tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are not moving to the USA, only visiting, I think you will find it is difficult to open a bank account without a Social Security number and other familiar forms of identification.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Happy
I would be interested to know HOW you can cal 1-800 from aboard other than using Skype. If you are not travel with a device, or not a Skype account owner, you are out of luck.

Normally the call would NOT even go thru, toll or no toll. The system simply would not recognize the 1-800 number. That is why ALL cards (credit or debit) would have the "normal" telephone number also on the back of the card for International collect call.

The only financial institution I know that actually have Toll Free International number for a lot of countries, is Fidelity - the extensive list is on its website.
As long as you can make any international calls, you can call a toll free number. Rebtel is an excellent example, and who I currently use. Calling plans to call internationally, which will vary by country, but allow you to make international calls from your cellphone with your mobile company billing the call as local airtime. There are many options, but again, this depends on your country. I can only tell you about Israel, though I have been to Europe enough times that I needed a plan there, and managed. What country are you in?
Old May 31, 2012, 5:03 pm

contact USAA by email. Don't know their requirements for opening an account, but their customer service, by email or phone, is excellent.

They started by catering to the US military, so they're used to having customer issues all over the world. Their financial products are available to everyone, though.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mia
It might prove helpful if you were to tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are not moving to the USA, only visiting, I think you will find it is difficult to open a bank account without a Social Security number and other familiar forms of identification.
Naturally, that would be the case in most nations as well, not just the US.

Sounds a bit fishy to me to actually want to open a bank account in the US. If I had my way, I'd rather open a bank account in Switzerland or Liechtenstein.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:55 pm

USAA site is very funny. They want a social Security Number just to be able to send them an e-mail.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon

I use Betamax for VOIP. Cheapest for mobile:
http://backsla.sh/betamax

Why I want a US account? Everyone wants it! Just search on the Internet it's one of the hottest topics for people earning in USD. And I want good exchange rates. That's all.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:02 pm

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...07807&p=2&#r24
I opened a Bank of America account...

Tip for the day: If you travel to the USA (or any other country regularly) investigate any fee free account options that may be of benefit to you in the future.

This Australian guy did it!
Old May 31, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So where can I find the international (non 800) numbers for USAA, and Fidelity? It's annoying that they don't have international numbers on their site. If a US person baking with them and he is abroad he gets onto trouble

For BofA I just found this number:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...lost_popup.cfm
But no one is on the phone. Strange.
Have you searched Fidelity site under Contact Us?

There is a laundry list of various countries where either a direct toll free number or a "patch over" toll free number available for that country. I even found a number for calling from Czech Republic, that is a "patch over" local toll-free, i.e. you call a local number first, when prompted, give another number which is very similar to Fido's US toll-free but with an extra 6.

I called Fidelity from Spain, France in the past. Just 2 weeks ago I called Fidelity from Italy. All these 3 countries have local direct toll free number to reach Fidelity in US.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Why I want a US account? Everyone wants it! Just search on the Internet it's one of the hottest topics for people earning in USD. And I want good exchange rates. That's all.
I guess the old saying "grass is greener on the other side" seems to be the case. As an American bank account holder, I'd rather want to open a numbered account that would ensure me anonymity from our IRS.

Welcome to BofA though. It'll be nice to withdraw AUD from Westpac ATMs in Australia and NZ directly from your BofA account without high fees or ATM surcharges.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
As long as you can make any international calls, you can call a toll free number. Rebtel is an excellent example, and who I currently use. Calling plans to call internationally, which will vary by country, but allow you to make international calls from your cellphone with your mobile company billing the call as local airtime. There are many options, but again, this depends on your country. I can only tell you about Israel, though I have been to Europe enough times that I needed a plan there, and managed. What country are you in?
Oh wow, next time before you give out info you may want to be more specific - many posters here are based in US - what you posted probably have very little value for us who reside in US. No US cell phone company here would bill you local airtime from calling overseas.

The only calling plan I can think of that allows 1-800 toll free number going thru is Onesuite which does cover Western Europe, some Asian countries and Australia - but the coverage is still quite limited though it actually covers Israel.

http://www.onesuite.com/access_international.asp

Skype is by far the most popular mean for those who travel with a device that can use VoP connection. Onesuite also has VoP coverage. A friend used it in Australia.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys!

Progress report:
Fidelity open a checking account for non-residents - but without the Visa card. Not cool.

USAA - they don't open an account for non-residents.

BofA - unavailable on their international number, I also called a branch and they hang up on me.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:47 pm

The big question is: you said that Visa charges a 1% international fee but MasterCard do not or they also charge the fee?

How can banks offer 0% transaction fee on international transfers (according to Flyerguide Wiki) if there is the 1% Visa fee?

Is it true that BofA charges 3% on foreign purchases?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Happy
Oh wow, next time before you give out info you may want to be more specific - many posters here are based in US - what you posted probably have very little value for us who reside in US. No US cell phone company here would bill you local airtime from calling overseas.

The only calling plan I can think of that allows 1-800 toll free number going thru is Onesuite which does cover Western Europe, some Asian countries and Australia - but the coverage is still quite limited though it actually covers Israel.

http://www.onesuite.com/access_international.asp

Skype is by far the most popular mean for those who travel with a device that can use VoP connection. Onesuite also has VoP coverage. A friend used it in Australia.
It doesn't matter if they're BASED in the US. The question was calling 1-800 numbers from OUTSIDE the US. It can be done numerous ways. Another great example is Google Voice. As long as you have Gmail which was set up in the US, you can call any USA number, free of charge. You sign into Gmail, and by your G-chat contacts, click "call a phone." As long as you're connected to the internet, you can call for free. Rebtel can be set up before going abroad for any cellphone to use, and you can call any USA number, including 1-800 numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.