Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:35 am

Can someone clarify for me what are the BoA rules for credit card applications?

I was just denied for an Alaska Airlines card due to "to many card accounts opened recently" and the CS rep on the phone could not tell me exactly what "too many" and "recently" exactly mean, but I calculated that I have 5 cards opened in the last 12 months and 9 (including the previous 5) in the last 24 months. None of the cards have been opened on BoA.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Update

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't see what you can lose other than your time (and maybe your sanity? ) by calling for another recon on the same application in a month or so. Whether it'll do any good or not, I have no idea.

And it might make a good datapoint if nothing else! ("I was denied for opening 4 cards in the previous 6 months, and then I was <whiichevered> when it became 3 cards in the previous 6 months.)
So I called them nearing the 30 days window and same reply and decline.. at this point, I had 3 CC's if they looked at the last 6 months or 4 CC's in 6 months from date of original application.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gin.Or.Juice
Can someone clarify for me what are the BoA rules for credit card applications?

I was just denied for an Alaska Airlines card due to "to many card accounts opened recently" and the CS rep on the phone could not tell me exactly what "too many" and "recently" exactly mean, but I calculated that I have 5 cards opened in the last 12 months and 9 (including the previous 5) in the last 24 months. None of the cards have been opened on BoA.
Since BofA has not explained those* rules to anyone, we don't know. We also don't know if (and may have to reason to suspect that) the rules may not be fixed, in that they may either change from one applicant to the next, and/or change over time (which would make hard to figure out the rules from just datapoints, but we'd need lots more detailed datapoints to do that).

* The only rules that BofA has explained to anyone are the 2/3/4 rules for counting BofA cards, but you said you opened no applied for no other BofA cards and thus the 2/3/4 rule wouldn't apply to you.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Denied for 2nd Alaska Air (closed the 1st a week ago). Lowered my BoA credit limits beforehand. I am clear of the 2/3/4 rule.

Called to recon and was told I could submit a reconsideration request - no dice. Was asked about income, investments, and any delinquent credit card payments (none). Was told decision stands based on too many accounts opened recently (I've opened 8 in last 12 mo) and not enough investments with BoA or their affiliates. Income is $145k and investments around $50k.

Interestingly, I was told by someone on Reddit that I could open a BoA checking account, put a couple thousand dollars in it and call recon again. This individual stated they have done this and had their application subsequently approved after initially being denied Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Alternatively, would it be smarter to open a BoA, park some money in it, keep a clean report for 3-6 months and try again?
Old May 22, 2018, 4:22 pm

Denied for an Alaska Personal. Too many inquiries. I tried calling recon and they said I had 14 inquiries within the last 12 months and that it was too many. Tried to get out of them how many is too many but they wouldn't say.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Morkai
would it be smarter to open a BoA, park some money in it, keep a clean report for 3-6 months and try again?
That's what I plan to do. I am assuming that it would greatly improve my chances of getting an approval.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

For BOA Premium recon should I call the Preferred Rewards number or a recon number? If recon, what's the best number lately? EX is frozen so I know it will be an instant decline and I will have to call.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Superorb
For BOA Premium recon should I call the Preferred Rewards number or a recon number? If recon, what's the best number lately? EX is frozen so I know it will be an instant decline and I will have to call.
Does anyone here know?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Does anyone here know?
I called the preferred rewards number and they had to transfer me to the credit analyst anyways.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
How many bank of america cards can you have maximum
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:45 pm
formerly atomicfront

Is there a way to check the status of a Business BOA application? I applied yesterday morning for Cash Rewards Business and it went pending. Only other BOA account I have is Premier Rewards with 25k limit I got in March.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:56 pm

I apply for BOA premium rewards and Alaska cc. At first declined for both, but later on decide to approve me for BOA premium rewards for too many accounts. I am well aware of the 2/3/4 rule. They need to be clear of "too many"
Also a plat honors client. Every time i went to branch, they solicited me to apply for Alaska, so it just doesn't make sense. I am going to deposit my $ with other banks from now since they don't value the banking relationship that much.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by pingpan
I apply for BOA premium rewards and Alaska cc. At first declined for both, but later on decide to approve me for BOA premium rewards for too many accounts. I am well aware of the 2/3/4 rule. They need to be clear of "too many"
Also a plat honors client. Every time i went to branch, they solicited me to apply for Alaska, so it just doesn't make sense. I am going to deposit my $ with other banks from now since they don't value the banking relationship that much.
We need more info. How many new cards have you gotten in the past 6/12/24 months?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by pingpan
so both auto-declined then they approve you for premium after calling in?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:17 am

Any working live rep phone numbers other than 800-354-0401?

They are refusing to pull Equifax due to the breach. I have Experian and Transunion frozen. I could unfreeze them but I am trying to keep them as clean as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.