Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Ok, so basically the same as if you had a mag stripe transaction in the US where you weren't required to sign (like for a small $ amount; the exact number seems to vary by location). No harm to the cardholder, all of the risk is back on the vendor due to a lack of training on the part of staff at that location. Probably not a surprise since these cards don't appear to be very common yet.

Perhaps when people get a new card, they should be given a stack of pamphlets to hand out to storeowners to make them aware of how the transactions are supposed to work.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Perhaps when people get a new card, they should be given a stack of pamphlets to hand out to storeowners to make them aware of how the transactions are supposed to work.
In what language? Not everyone speaks English.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
In what language? Not everyone speaks English.
English + pictograms.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mia
Now using a Chase Chip & Signature card in London, and surprised how slow the transaction verification process is. Estimate the card remains in the terminal 10+ seconds, then the receipt prints. In a couple instances I have needed to point out to the assistant that a signature was required.
The time for the transaction can depend on wide range of factors and can be caused by the card, the terminal, or a the combination of both. There is a lot of negotiation that happens between the card and the terminal.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Two networks (VISA and MC) are now strongly pushing for EMV adoption by merchants.

Considering now it's both VISA and MC, I'm sure AMEX will have to eventually follow suit. Not sure about Discover.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Not sure about Discover.

Actually, in case you're not aware, Discover's networks is what overseas (non-US/Canada) Diners Club cards are processed on, so for that reason alone, I would expect Discover to possibly be more interested than others (on the merchant side, even if not necessarily on the Discover branded card holder side).

While Discover itself may be used mostly in the US, because of the Discover network now being used for international Diners Club, it's become a much more international network.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:40 pm

There was a time that Diners Club was widely accepted in Europe; but that time dates back to the 1970.....this was a time when you got copies of the charge slips with your bills and you could see the different languages and the difference offices of Diners Clb listed. But that ship has long since sailed. Diners Club is just now trying to re-establish itself in the UK but hardly anybody takes it there. About the only place I've heard with any degree of coverage is China; it's almost a non entity throughout continental Europe as far as I can see so it's pretty irrelevant whether you can use discover inh places that take Diners Club; there simply aren't all that many such places!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, in case you're not aware, Discover's networks is what overseas (non-US/Canada) Diners Club cards are processed on
Yes totally forgot about that one. Plus, Discover also have bilateral agreements with both China's UnionPay (China moving to EMV by 2015) and Japan's JCB (which they already are on EMV), Discover does indeed have a big interest in EMV issuance.

Re-cap of major networks officially pushing EMV in the US:

VISA (2011/08/09)
Visa Inc. announced plans to accelerate the migration to EMV contact and contactless chip technology in the United States.

Mastercard (2012/01/30)
Mastercard EMV - The next generation of payments comes to the United States

With both VISA and MC making substantial pushes toward it, it won't belong until AMEX and Discover to come along as well.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

VeriFone's (one of the makers of credit card POS devices) response to Mastercard's recent push for US to switch to EMV:
http://www.mobilewaytopay.com/2012/0...s-emv-roadmap/

Seems like a difference of opinion on which EMV to use, VISA and MC prefers Chip-and-Signature, Verifone and merchants want Chip-and-PIN.

OTOH, at least VISA, MC, POS makers, and merchants are starting to agree that EMV is a better way to go. That's a big start to get things rolling. The question still remains to do it via PIN or via Signature though.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Now using a Chase Chip & Signature card in London, and surprised how slow the transaction verification process is. Estimate the card remains in the terminal 10+ seconds, then the receipt prints. In a couple instances I have needed to point out to the assistant that a signature was required.
I find carrying a pen in the pocket and taking it out after inserting the card a good hint to the cashiers.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by AndyAA
I received my replacement Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard, and guess what, no chip. The rep new what I was requesting, even mentioning global capability chip, EMV, etc, but no dice. Their records showed I already had a card with a chip. I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.
Same experience with my TY Premier MC... The replacement card arrived today without a chip. I called again and they told me that a new card with a chip would be sent out to me, but let's just say that based on the conversation I had, I don't have too much confidence in that. If I just get another regular card again, I think I'll also just wait a few weeks before trying again.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:06 pm

This has been going on for me for the past month. At the beginninbg of January, after having read that somebody on this forum had received a chipped card on his AA citi account, I thought they were automatically sending chipped cards on the AA cards (I have a platinum one). So on the web site I ordered a replacement card. It came and no chip. Called customer service, was assured they would send me a chip card (the rep said her supervisor had to override something to make me eligible). When the chipped card, as a matter of fact when no card arrived, I once again called customer servicde. The rep said, again after requesting some sort of override from a supervisor, that a new chipped card would be sent to me and since I had requested one it would be sent overnight with no charge. It indeed was sent overrnight with no charge but guess what. No chip. Called again Thursday. Once again the customer service rep tells me she had to get some sort of override from the supervisor and assured me that I would be receiving a chipped card in 5 to 7 business days.

Why do I feel that citibank doesn't have a clue as to what is gong on? It's become almost farcical.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Why do I feel that citibank doesn't have a clue as to what is gong on? It's become almost farcical.
Seems like this is a prevalent issue with Citi. Citi may have noted to get you an EMV card, hence why it shows in their system that you got one, but I think there's a big miscommunication between Citi and the manufacturer of these cards.

I don't know where Citi usually outsources their usual card manufacturing to, but from what I can tell from the back of my chipped CitiAAdvantage card, the new EMV cards are made by Oberthur, one of few American companies that makes EMV cards.

Perhaps the EMV card request are being directed to their usual manufacturers instead of Oberthur? Might want to check up on that and see if "ensure to send card manufacturing request to Oberthur" works.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA G
FWIW, Citi said my AA card wasn't eligible for EMV, but my TY Premier was. I requested and got an EMV card under the TY Premier brand. ^
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Visa Tops One Million Chip Cards in the U.S.

Quote of interest:

"In 2011, Wells Fargo led the way with an EMV smart card pilot to 15,000 customers who travel frequently to countries where chip-based payments is the standard," said Eric Schindewolf, vice president of product development for Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. "Based on the overwhelming success of the pilot, we are now considering making this program more widely available."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.