Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by garyschmitt
Exactly. I've tested this. When I forgot the PIN to my chip-pin card, I lost the ability to swipe and sign. The card became useless. I swiped, and the machine rejected the card because the track data apparently disclosed the fact that the card had an EMV chip. Even though I wanted the product and the merchant wanted my money, the transaction was impossible because of the track data and how the merchants PoS device was (commonly) inadvertently configured.
How is the merchant's terminal inadvertently configured? It is configured properly. When an EMV card is swiped at an EMV terminal it is supposed to reject the card and require you to use the chip reader.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by LoneTree
A lot of the newer local businesses here have the slits for EMV cards. They're usually covered up with duct tape or cardboard or something. Even the ones at Walgreens have a piece of plastic blocking the slot.
I guess it depends where they are; over here in LA, they're never covered up. Sometimes it's funny to see tourists from abroad sticking in their cards there and wondering why they don't work.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by D582
How is the merchant's terminal inadvertently configured? It is configured properly.
Can you point to an international standard to back that up? Probably not, so what's "proper" is not a matter of fact -- it's a matter of opinion.

Some would disagree with you, and consider the "proper" configuration to be the one that yields the highest profit for the merchant, which is not necessarily the same configuration that minimizes fraud when the yield is higher.

When an EMV card is swiped at an EMV terminal it is supposed to reject the card and require you to use the chip reader.
Only if configured as such. If the user configures it to accept the track data without regard to EMV presence, then it's supposed to do so.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
It's actually not that really expensive;
Do you know the price? You wrote quite a lot of text and then didn't give a price.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
As production numbers increase, the cost starts to fall.
Sure, but the demand for the EMV terminals is no greater than it was pre-changeover. In both cases the product is manufactured in significant numbers, so that factor alone would not change the cost. Competition would be a better factor to look at. How many players are involved in EMV terminal production?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond
The church I work at had their terminals recently replaced. They didn't request anything special, and it looks to me like it has a chip reader.... No idea if it's active. Next time I call them I'll ask them if it will handle a chip card. Anyone with a chip card in northern Delaware want to stop by and make a donation?

Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Only if configured as such. If the user configures it to accept the track data without regard to EMV presence, then it's supposed to do so.
Perhaps the possibility exists that merchants are given disincentives by Visa/MC for doing so? The only terminals I've seen that can easily bypass the EMV chip are Chinese ones. Every time I use my UnionPay EMV card in Shanghai the terminal will pop up "Is this an EMV card?" and the merchant pushes "no" to just use the mag-stripe. Of course, I have to type in a PIN and sign either way.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:33 pm

Can you point to an international standard to back that up?
Sure... this requirement is contained within the Visa International Operating Regulations, http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...tions-main.pdf page 444:

An Acquirer must ensure that an EMV-Compliant Chip-Reading Device:

- Reads the Chip if an EMV- and VIS-Compliant Chip is present, and does not allow the Chip- Reading Device to override the Chip Authorization controls by manually prompting the device to use the Magnetic Stripe. The Magnetic Stripe may be read only if the Chip is not EMV- and VISCompliant, or the Chip or Chip reader is inoperable.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by weave
The church I work at had their terminals recently replaced. They didn't request anything special, and it looks to me like it has a chip reader.... No idea if it's active. Next time I call them I'll ask them if it will handle a chip card. Anyone with a chip card in northern Delaware want to stop by and make a donation?
While that terminal (Verifone Vx570) is EMV-ready, at this point in time it is likely that the EMV functionality is not enabled in the software. There are many EMV ready terminals in the US, however the majority of them are not active.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
While that terminal (Verifone Vx570) is EMV-ready, at this point in time it is likely that the EMV functionality is not enabled in the software. There are many EMV ready terminals in the US, however the majority of them are not active.
What's the point of shipping the terminals without the necessary software?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
What's the point of shipping the terminals without the necessary software?
Likely the acquirer or someone upstream are not ready to support EMV transactions. It's not as simple as having a terminal with a chip reader and having the software enabled...the entire back end infrastructure has to support EMV.

That being said, that terminal along with most other modern terminals can have their software updated remotely which would allow EMV functionality to be enabled at a later date if required.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
random data point:
BA chase chip & sig
worked at heathrow express staffed counter with card reader.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
VISA timeline for chip acceptance

Back in August 2011 VISA published a timeline website requiring chip acceptance by April 2013, at least that is how I read it.

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/cisp.html

This also discusses other landmark dates for other technologies.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Sure... this requirement is contained within the Visa International Operating Regulations, http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...tions-main.pdf page 444:
An Acquirer must ensure that an EMV-Compliant Chip-Reading Device:

- Reads the Chip if an EMV- and VIS-Compliant Chip is present, and does not allow the Chip- Reading Device to override the Chip Authorization controls by manually prompting the device to use the Magnetic Stripe. The Magnetic Stripe may be read only if the Chip is not EMV- and VISCompliant, or the Chip or Chip reader is inoperable.
I wonder how open to interpretation that requirement is. In New Zealand I've seen terminals prompting the merchant to allow signature validation instead of PIN. The chip-reading device is the PIN-pad held in the customer's hand (with both chip and mag-stripe reading capability), while the merchant terminal is the POS system or the 'base' of the terminal. This way the customer can't override it, but the merchant can. Presumably their merchant agreement has disincentives for doing so.

As a side note I asked HSBC Premier USA again when they would be offering chip cards and still no news; although they sent me a new-issue MasterCard recently that is a much more pleasing color and much thinner than my previous card.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ajnz
I wonder how open to interpretation that requirement is. In New Zealand I've seen terminals prompting the merchant to allow signature validation instead of PIN. The chip-reading device is the PIN-pad held in the customer's hand (with both chip and mag-stripe reading capability), while the merchant terminal is the POS system or the 'base' of the terminal. This way the customer can't override it, but the merchant can. Presumably their merchant agreement has disincentives for doing so.
Ah, but what you're referring to is different. You're transaction is still being processed as an EMV transaction, however you are simply using a different Cardholder Verification Method (CVM). This is referred to as a PIN Bypass transaction, which was introduced in some markets as part of the EMV transition.

For New Zealand, on page 221 of the same document:

PIN as Cardholder Verification Method in New Zealand – Issuer Requirements – AP Region

In New Zealand, all newly-issued and re-issued Visa Cards must be issued with a PIN as the preferred CVM for Chip-Initiated Transactions.

Effective 1 April 2012, when PIN bypass is performed for a Chip-initiated Transaction on a New Zealand issued PIN-Preferring Chip Card, the Transaction must be sent Online to the Issuer or the Issuer's agent. An Issuer must respond with a Decline Response to a domestic PIN Bypass Transaction
Therefore, PIN Bypass on domestic transactions in NZ will disappear really soon.

In simple terms, an EMV card has a list of acceptable CVMs, in order of preference. This is set by the issuer. Depending on the market, you're card could be set as:

- Offline PIN
- Online PIN
- Signature
- No CVM required

(For the US Chip and Signature cards that are being issued, the list is likely just Signature and No CVM required)

When you insert the card, it will negotiate with the terminal, which will also have a list of acceptable CVMs. The card will basically go one-by-one from its most preferred CVM and if the terminal also supports that, that is what gets used for the transaction. Doing a 'PIN Bypass' simply causes the terminal and card to renegotiate for a different CVM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Row2
Back in August 2011 VISA published a timeline website requiring chip acceptance by April 2013, at least that is how I read it.

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/cisp.html

This also discusses other landmark dates for other technologies.
The date of 1 April 2013 is when Visa will require all US acquirers (basically everyone upstream from the merchant that process the transactions), so fully support EMV transaction.

In other words, as of that date any US merchant who wants to enable EMV processing should be able to do so as the backend network is required to support it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.