Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just ordered a replacement Citi AAdvantage card with a chip myself. Phone rep was a bit confused at first but checked with a supervisor and now the new card is on it's way. She did say that they would deactivate the RFID phone stickers they sent out a while ago. Not that I ever used it though.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Additional failure with BA Chase chip & sign:

TXL - automated bus/train fare ticket kiosk. Previously worked inside at staffed desk but it was closed this evening so I paid cash to the bus driver. Will have to buy Berlin city card tomorrow somewhere else.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by LoneTree
I just ordered a replacement Citi AAdvantage card with a chip myself. Phone rep was a bit confused at first but checked with a supervisor and now the new card is on it's way. She did say that they would deactivate the RFID phone stickers they sent out a while ago. Not that I ever used it though.
Per the person who received the Citi Exec card with the chip on it, he still was able to use the PayPass sticker even though the rep said the same thing as you were told.

I personally don't have the stickers to test it out but you might want to give it a try if you have them too. It may still work, and IMO I don't think having a Chip+Sig would have anything to do with an contactless chip either as they are two different chip technologies that are independent of one another. If US Bank can incorporate the EMV and the contactless feature into their FlexPerks card, there should be no reason why the EMV chip should disable a separate contactless sticker too.

Last edited by kebosabi; Dec 31, 2011 at 12:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
One more data point- Citi called me about some fraudulent activity. Had the account closed, had a new card mailed out to me, and they told me my replacement will have Chip and PIN. Miscommunication, or is there something different about Visa?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jamar
One more data point- Citi called me about some fraudulent activity. Had the account closed, had a new card mailed out to me, and they told me my replacement will have Chip and PIN. Miscommunication, or is there something different about Visa?
Well if you get your replacement card, let us know as it looks like Citi is going ahead with EMV issuance without any announcements.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I called today and requested a Citibank Aadvantage World Elite MC with a chip. The rep confirmed one is in the mail, confirmed it is chip-and-signature and that my photo would continue to be on the card, as it has been for the past 15 years.

Yay.

Last November (2011) I went to a restaurant in Germany. They told me they were only accepting magnetic strip credit cards until 12/31/2011 (today). Starting in January, they will only accept chipped cards.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Haven't been able to use the BA Visa chip & sign card at any automated ticketing kiosk for public transit in Paris or Berlin, with the one exception of the SNCF kiosk to buy RER tickets into the city. No Berlin VBB, no Paris RATP.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Citi Chairman MC

For those who still hold this card, it is now available as an EMV (Chip+Sig) card on request also. Although, please note - this card still has a foreign transaction fee applied, which I believe the AX version does not have.

They keep telling me there is a "refresh" coming...but i'll believe it when I see it. At least they are waiving my annual fee.

Last edited by Gekko; Jan 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I called today and requested a Citibank Aadvantage World Elite MC with a chip. The rep confirmed one is in the mail, confirmed it is chip-and-signature and that my photo would continue to be on the card, as it has been for the past 15 years.

Yay.

Last November (2011) I went to a restaurant in Germany. They told me they were only accepting magnetic strip credit cards until 12/31/2011 (today). Starting in January, they will only accept chipped cards.
Is yours the "Platinum" or the "Gold Level" one? I have the Gold one with an expiration in March. I am going to call and see if I can make sure the new card has a chip, but thought I would check and see if anyone with a new Chip card has the Gold one.

I am travelling to the Bahamas and was reading that some merchants there like to refuse the mag cards and only want to take chip ones.

Dan
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Haven't been able to use the BA Visa chip & sign card at any automated ticketing kiosk for public transit in Paris or Berlin, with the one exception of the SNCF kiosk to buy RER tickets into the city. No Berlin VBB, no Paris RATP.
Thanks for the update; looks like Chip-and-Signature still has its flaws at automated kiosks then.

I'll test one myself when I'm in Canada next month; notably Vancouver SkyTrain and gas pumps in Canada.

Originally Posted by Gekko
For those who still hold this card, it is now available as an EMV (Chip+Sig) card on request also. Although, please note - this card still has a foreign transaction fee applied, which I believe the AX version does not have.

They keep telling me there is a "refresh" coming...but i'll believe it when I see it. At least they are waiving my annual fee.
Sounds like Citi is indeed going ahead with issuing EMV cards without any announcements. If that's the case, it would be nice if they could update their citicards page with pictures of cards with the chip on it so we know which ones are available for request though.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by danorum
Is yours the "Platinum" or the "Gold Level" one? I have the Gold one with an expiration in March. I am going to call and see if I can make sure the new card has a chip, but thought I would check and see if anyone with a new Chip card has the Gold one.

I am travelling to the Bahamas and was reading that some merchants there like to refuse the mag cards and only want to take chip ones.

Dan
I called them today and was able to get my Gold card issued with an early replacement that is a Chip card. Also to note that the phone rep knew right away what I was asking for and just had to check to see if this card could be issued with a Chip.

Dan
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:06 pm

After reading several commenters noting the Citi AA card can now be a chip card, I called Citi regarding my Citi Thank You Premier card and was told it was also eligible for a chip card (it seems it's Chip and Signature).

I was told it would arrive in 5-7 business days. I hope it comes soon as I have a trip to Europe planed in a 5 business days. Does anyone have experience with how long the card takes to be received? I was told it couldn't be expedited.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by danorum
Is yours the "Platinum" or the "Gold Level" one? I have the Gold one with an expiration in March.
Gold. I should be getting the new card in the mail any day now.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Humor me. What is the appeal of a Citi Chip & Signature card with 3% foreign transaction fee when Chase issues Chip & Signature cards with no foreign transaction fee? It makes sense for Citi Premier, but otherwise I don't see it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
Humor me. What is the appeal of a Citi Chip & Signature card with 3% foreign transaction fee when Chase issues Chip & Signature cards with no foreign transaction fee? It makes sense for Citi Premier, but otherwise I don't see it.
I don't travel internationally much any more. My plan is to use my Cap one as much as I can and use my Chip if I have to. For the amount I will use it, it beats getting a new card (with an annual fee) just for a trip or two.

I am still hopeful that Capital One will add a Chip card.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.