Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I believe someone on this board was part of a test group to have a BA/Chase co-branded Chip-and-Signature card, but thanks.

That's another card regular travelers can apply for without being part of a corporation. Considering there's a lot of BA/Chase cardholders out there from the 100k BA mile promo, that's got to be one of the largest issuance of a chipped card for regular cardholders so far.

Considering that, it's possible that other Chase based frequent traveler cards will be up next, i.e. United, Continental, Hyatt and Marriott. I think Chase is betting that having an EMV chip onto a card will be a big factor against their competitors.
Except it's Chip & Sig. I'm not about to sign up for a new card that has disabled the pin feature. The Pin feature is the purpose of the card for frequent travelers
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DLNYC
The Pin feature is the purpose of the card for frequent travelers
I think this is proving less true than expected, because Chip & Signature cards are widely issued outside the USA and transaction processing equipment recognize such cards. We have several reports of Chase cards accepted at unattended points of sale.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by mia
I think this is proving less true than expected, because Chip & Signature cards are widely issued outside the USA and transaction processing equipment recognize such cards. We have several reports of Chase cards accepted at unattended points of sale.
Do we? Perhaps I've missed these. I have seen a few examples where C&S is accepted at stations that are also known to accept mag stripes (London Tube, etc). Do we have any examples of C&S being accepted at unmanned POS that are known not to accept mag stripe (Amsterdam trains, Paris bikes, etc)? I very well may have missed these.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do we have any examples of C&S being accepted at unmanned POS that are known not to accept mag stripe
Yes, though not the examples you mentioned. Read posts 26-38 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post16599260

I'm not saying that Chip & Signature is all we need, only that it's more useful that it sounds.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Except it's Chip & Sig. I'm not about to sign up for a new card that has disabled the pin feature. The Pin feature is the purpose of the card for frequent travelers
Chip-and-Signature isn't all that bad.

What I'm more interested these days is why the other banks don't follow suit with what US Bank's FlexPerks did and incorporate the contactless feature built in along with the EMV chip and the mag-stripe so it can handle payments three different ways? Seems kinda redundant to issue cards with a mag-stripe & an EMV chip when they can do mag-stripe & EMV & contactless chip all in one single card.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I was a beta tester months ago.

Posted a link to a pic in this thread. In post 292.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I was a beta tester months ago.
Run into any issues using it anywhere?

Last edited by OverThereTooMuch; Nov 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Run into any issues using it anywhere?
Haven't even had the opportunity. Next planned international travel is December. Will give it a whirl at Heathrow, then in Berlin and Paris.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I recently had a chance to test out a JP Morgan Select Chip & Signature card at a few places and thought I'd report back.

• A parking paystation in Toronto that only likes chip cards approved it without question (a non-chip US-issued Visa was denied).
  • An Esso station outside Toronto told me to "see attendant" as usual. A non-chip US-issued AMEX worked fine. Clerk told me that all US-issued Visa/MCs were automatically denied, chip or not.
  • Ticket machine at King's Cross asked for a PIN; leaving it blank or entering zeros didn't work, but using the ATM/cash advance PIN worked perfectly. Posted as a normal credit transaction, not a cash advance.
  • A few places in the UK acted quite confused with a chip card that wanted a signature… but everything was approved and worked fine.

Overall, I'd say that these Chase Chip & Signature cards are a mostly okay solution, but that real Chip & PIN would certainly be preferable. Interestingly, the cards seem to be capable of functioning as Chip & PIN when necessary, but don't default to this option. Hopefully at some point Chase will give us the option of "opting in" to proper Chip & PIN if desired, since it seems that their backend is capable of supporting it.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
Chase BA chip cards are now available

I applied for and received the British Airways Visa in August 2011. It had no chip because they were limiting chip cards to a pilot group.

Last week I called to ask about any progress with the chip card. The CSR said,"funny you should ask, because we started replacing BA cards with the chip version, on request, just a few days ago."

Two days later two new Chase BA cards with chips came via UPS. The insert asks you to set a PIN and confirm receipt but I'm not sure if that relates to cash advances or it will work as a EMV type true PIN. I won't be going back to Europe till spring to test it, but it's a move in the right direction.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Row2
Two days later two new Chase BA cards with chips came via UPS. The insert asks you to set a PIN and confirm receipt but I'm not sure if that relates to cash advances or it will work as a EMV type true PIN. I won't be going back to Europe till spring to test it, but it's a move in the right direction.
Just got off the phone with CSR. They confirmed that the PIN in question is JUST for cash advance. Card is PIN and Signature, not true Chip & PIN. If you use that PIN, he told me, it will be treated as a cash advance. Good for dire emergencies like unmanned gas stations in the middle of nowhere, but inadvisable otherwise.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
Just got off the phone with CSR. They confirmed that the PIN in question is JUST for cash advance. Card is PIN and Signature, not true Chip & PIN. If you use that PIN, he told me, it will be treated as a cash advance. Good for dire emergencies like unmanned gas stations in the middle of nowhere, but inadvisable otherwise.
While I've always believed that, others have reported here on this board that they've used a Chase chip and signature card for a purchase, the system asked them for a PIN, they've used that PIN and the charge went through as a purchase. I always take anything I'm told by these customer service reps with a degree of skepticism. What I've always asked, is what happens if you enter any 4 digit number?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
While I've always believed that, others have reported here on this board that they've used a Chase chip and signature card for a purchase, the system asked them for a PIN, they've used that PIN and the charge went through as a purchase. I always take anything I'm told by these customer service reps with a degree of skepticism. What I've always asked, is what happens if you enter any 4 digit number?
My thought, too. I figured I'd choose a PIN and then only use it for emergencies, but use a random number or 0000 for a PIN if required.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
I think I'm going to try the BA chip card at a CVS or a Walmart that has a card slot on the payment device. Since the card is US$ denominated, It's a little easier than going to Iceland to check it out. Living at the edge !!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Row2
I think I'm going to try the BA chip card at a CVS or a Walmart that has a card slot on the payment device. Since the card is US$ denominated, It's a little easier than going to Iceland to check it out. Living at the edge !!
It's been mentioned here that those pos terminals at Wal-marts and at othner places are not yet functional but are there in preparation for thatmomentous day when the US banks see the light however far down the road it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.