Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:26 am

I got card #1 on April '13 and I just got approved today Nov 11 '13 for card #2
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Just applied for myself and spouse and got both approved. Doesn't hurt to get 2 X 45 K (35 +10) for free. After an year, I will probably be cancelling it. It will probably not be useful anyway if the merger goes through which looks likely.

Got to love Barclays. Too bad they don't have any other good cards. Lufthansa is other choice but that has spend requirement and annual fees for first year .

Last edited by gv111; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
Just applied for myself and spouse and got both approved. Doesn't hurt to get 2 X 45 K (35 +10) for free. After an year, I will probably be cancelling it. It will probably not be useful anyway if the merger goes through which looks likely.
Why would the points not be useful when they transfer to AA ?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:57 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The dynamic duo of a Barclay's card for the 10K anniversary bonus and a Citi card with access to 10% rebate on miles awards and the quarterly (or now monthly) reduced mileage destinations make for a sweetheart deal. When the airlines merge and the banks don't, we will have a terrific opportunity to maximize two unrelated programs.

Get 10,000 soon to be AA miles from Barclays, then (post merger) book a 17,500 mile domestic reduced mileage award r/t and get 1750 miles rebated shortly thereafter. You only will have an out of pocket "earn" requirement of 5750 miles-- nearly half of which could come from one AAdvantage shopping mall promo such as the one going on now.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The dynamic duo of a Barclay's card for the 10K anniversary bonus and a Citi card with access to 10% rebate on miles awards and the quarterly (or now monthly) reduced mileage destinations make for a sweetheart deal. When the airlines merge and the banks don't, we will have a terrific opportunity to maximize two unrelated programs.

Get 10,000 soon to be AA miles from Barclays, then (post merger) book a 17,500 mile domestic reduced mileage award r/t and get 1750 miles rebated shortly thereafter. You only will have an out of pocket "earn" requirement of 5750 miles-- nearly half of which could come from one AAdvantage shopping mall promo such as the one going on now.
I doubt the Barclays US card will survive for long.

Existing cards will probably be converted to some other type of card within Barclays portfolio.

Last edited by gv111; Nov 12, 2013 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:46 am

I just got my 2nd US Air card last week. My first card from 2/13 is still active. I also have another Barclays card (3 total).

Anyone had success getting a 3rd US Air card soon after the 2nd?

Last edited by iliopsoas; Nov 12, 2013 at 11:30 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:37 pm

I was just denied with a 780 credit score. They said, that it is b/c of the number of accts opened within the last year, having an existing USAIR card, and the minimal usage of the existing card. This was told to me by a CSR.

Would closing the first card have been the way to go about this? Is there anything I can do?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by brettskyg
I was just denied with a 780 credit score. They said, that it is b/c of the number of accts opened within the last year, having an existing USAIR card, and the minimal usage of the existing card. This was told to me by a CSR.

Would closing the first card have been the way to go about this? Is there anything I can do?

Looking to app for this soon... How many accounts did you open within the last year?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Another data point:

First card approved 2/13
Second card approved 11/13 (yesterday)

for both myself and Mrs. drminn.

Card use was: pack of gum first purchase, sock drawer until 15K offer(June), sock drawer until recent 5x on gas and restaurant, sock drawer until 10K anniversary(next Feb), then will cancel. Total spend per card was about $3K.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Campath
How soon can you close this card without Barclay's clawing back your miles? I have had it for 4 months now and I know from prior experience that they will not issue me a second card while this one is open. I would like to close it and reapply after 30 days. Any data points?
Bump.

Can anyone answer this for me?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Campath
Bump.

Can anyone answer this for me?
Can't answer specifically but I just got approved for my second card without closing the first (opened 7 months prior). Do you have specific info that they will not issue a second card to YOU without first closing the first one? If that is the case I would still wait 6 months minimum, but I have no explicit evidence to back that up.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:00 pm

I already applied twice when I still had the first card and got rejected both times. I closed the first card and applied 3 months later and got approved. So I don't want to waste a pull on what will most likely be a denial. Hence the question.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by iliopsoas
I just got my 2nd US Air card last week. My first card from 2/13 is still active. I also have another Barclays card (3 total).

Anyone had success getting a 3rd US Air card soon after the 2nd?
I had success, but I think I just got lucky. Been frozen out of all Barclay's cards ever since.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by brettskyg

I was denied other Barclay's cards for basically the very same reasons. I am taking a six month break from apps and trying again. Can report back in a month.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
I doubt the Barclays US card will survive for long.

Existing cards will probably be converted to some other type of card within Barclays portfolio.
Does anyone have an estimate for how long the card will be around? I just got the Arrival in September, so I don't think Barclay's will give me anything new just yet. I'm trying to figure out when to apply so that I don't miss the boat but also have the best shot at approval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.