Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Wife was instantly approved today for the 30K offer, no status. She had closed a US card in December and still has an Arrival card that gets 1.5-3X its small CL in spending every month. Bring on the 15K promotion!
Thanks Kenny for another positive data point to debunk the BS of non-preferred status as cause for denial that Barclays uses.

Key remains Instant Approval. Now I know what sequence I would use when applying for their cards come March when the existing US card would age one more month.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks Kenny for another positive data point to debunk the BS of non-preferred status as cause for denial that Barclays uses.

Key remains Instant Approval. Now I know what sequence I would use when applying for their cards come March when the existing US card would age one more month.
But you need to cancel your card first before reapplying right?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HikerT
Barclay has been clamping down on churners. You could well end up with a goose egg or worse, blacklisted by Barclay. Why not keep the US card and use the opportunity cost to apply for a different Barclay card? For example, you could apply for Arrival and get 40K (worth $444.44 in travel). 40K Arrival + keeping the 10K perpetual bonus for $89 is worth more than 40K US in the bush to me.
Sounds lke you fly coach, mostly domestic. $444.44 doesn't get you much toward a one-way business class ticket to Europe, while 40k US/AA miles is (in the right "saver" situation) almost enough (you need 50k).

The point is, getting 10k for $89 equates to 40k for $356. Whether you apply for an Arrival or anything else doesn't change that lousy-value (IMHO) math. You can get the same $444.44 from Arrival if you cancel the US card before the $89 is unavoidable.

And btw, where is the evidence that Barclay is clamping down on churners who follow the apparent new rules (as I mentioned, perhaps waiting a number of months after you cancel your previous US card) and especially for those who are applying for annual-fee-not-waived offers like the 40k? Most of the evidence of them clamping down is in this thread, which is primarily about the 30k (once 35k) annual-fee-waived-the-first-year offers. But IMHO those aren't the right offers to compare against if you're comparing against paying $89 every year for just 10k (11.5 months later*).

And if you need to wait a number of months after you cancel your present US card before you can apply for it again (with higher hopes of success), it doesn't change your this month opportinity.

Barclays doesn't mind you having at least 4 cards open. I know, because I've had their Best Western and Choice cards for several years, plus US Air since a year ago, and in December got approved for the Wyndham Rewards card (during the "momentary" 45k offer). (But I have to note that I'm not an AORer, I just go after the best "real" miles/points offers and [U]space them out[/U.)

*Since the US card that gives 10k gives it before the $89 is due, the $89 you're paying is always for the next 10k that will come 11.5 months later, in the hopes that it will still come again. You don't need to pay the $89 to get the 10k you were just issued a few weeks earlier.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Sounds lke you fly coach, mostly domestic. $444.44 doesn't get you much toward a one-way business class ticket to Europe, while 40k US/AA miles is (in the right "saver" situation) almost enough (you need 50k).

The point is, getting 10k for $89 equates to 40k for $356. Whether you apply for an Arrival or anything else doesn't change that lousy-value (IMHO) math. You can get the same $444.44 from Arrival if you cancel the US card before the $89 is unavoidable.

And btw, where is the evidence that Barclay is clamping down on churners who follow the apparent new rules (as I mentioned, perhaps waiting a number of months after you cancel your previous US card) and especially for those who are applying for annual-fee-not-waived offers like the 40k? Most of the evidence of them clamping down is in this thread, which is primarily about the 30k (once 35k) annual-fee-waived-the-first-year offers. But IMHO those aren't the right offers to compare against if you're comparing against paying $89 every year for just 10k (11.5 months later*).

And if you need to wait a number of months after you cancel your present US card before you can apply for it again (with higher hopes of success), it doesn't change your this month opportinity.

Barclays doesn't mind you having at least 4 cards open. I know, because I've had their Best Western and Choice cards for several years, plus US Air since a year ago, and in December got approved for the Wyndham Rewards card (during the "momentary" 45k offer). (But I have to note that I'm not an AORer, I just go after the best "real" miles/points offers and [U]space them out[/U.)

*Since the US card that gives 10k gives it before the $89 is due, the $89 you're paying is always for the next 10k that will come 11.5 months later, in the hopes that it will still come again. You don't need to pay the $89 to get the 10k you were just issued a few weeks earlier.
So do you recommend cancelling the card or converting it into a non Fee card?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by arsenalman
But you need to cancel your card first before reapplying right?
I had canceled her card via SM ~2 months before getting this one. That doesn't mean she would have been denied if the old one were still open.

Just my opinion, I think your best bet is to close the old card if you have one.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:08 pm

Just be aware the CC company can always send you a notice about your card being "converted" and have that happen before when you are suppose to get your anniversary miles. So you run the chance of wasting paying $89 for nothing.

Miles are cheap enough to produce that it does not justify the $89 cost.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:31 pm

Depends on person and length with Barclays. Have no problems getting multiple different cards but can't get second us air card. Can cancel and get new one without issues. YMMV
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:04 am

I don't fly coach. In the past year there were numerous occasions to stockpile US miles at ~1.2 cpm. Fairly likely there will be another opportunity to flip $444.44 into ~40K US, but I would rather buy them for less than a cent over time rather than stockpile up front and take the devaluation risk. It's funny you claim 40k for $356 is "lousy value" while in the same breath proclaim the value of 40K in terms of international business saver award. Which is it? Make up your mind, lol.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:20 am

As far as Barclay clamping down on churners, just one report here:

http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelc...-arrival-hype/

Of course, YMMV!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM
A reader just contacted me who got the the new Hawaiian Airlines personal card Barclaycard version a month ago, then then this week applied for the Bank of Hawaii version, was denied but reconsideration actually succeeded with Barlcays agreeing to a credit move, so always YMMV, a counterpoint to my article linked by HikerT
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as Barclay clamping down on churners, just one report here:

http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelc...-arrival-hype/

Of course, YMMV!
That's a report on an AORer, which is one type of churner.

Barclays is getting harder for AORers than for one-at-a-time churners.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I had canceled her card via SM ~2 months before getting this one. That doesn't mean she would have been denied if the old one were still open.

Just my opinion, I think your best bet is to close the old card if you have one.
Similar experience: I had a US Airways MC opened in 1/2013, closed it in 1/2014 after anniversary miles posted, just reapplied today (not a preferred member) and was approved instantly.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't fly coach. In the past year there were numerous occasions to stockpile US miles at ~1.2 cpm. Fairly likely there will be another opportunity to flip $444.44 into ~40K US, but I would rather buy them for less than a cent over time rather than stockpile up front and take the devaluation risk. It's funny you claim 40k for $356 is "lousy value" while in the same breath proclaim the value of 40K in terms of international business saver award. Which is it? Make up your mind, lol.
I don't put the same value at earning as burning. My point is that there are numerous, repeatable opportunities to get 40k (or more) for $89 (or less), and in view of that, I view paying $356 to get 40k as not that great a value compared to the other ways of getting US/AA miles.

I never buy miles (I don't consider that to be great value, even at a 100% bonus), so I don't compare that to redemption value either.

Also, if you tie earning value to redemption value too much, the whole thing goes poof if there's a devaluation announced in a while. But if you earn your miles at closest-to-$0 cost possible, the devaluation hurts a bit but can't ever put you "underwater", the way "overpaying" for miles theoretically could.

This is all based on the future, not the past. In the future, US=AA, so stockpiling AA miles is the same (long term) as stockpiling US miles. And AA business cards are churnable several times a year (plus a personal card every couple years), with the first year annual fee waived each time. Compared to paying $0 annual fee for 100k++ in each year, why pay $356 for $40k only over 4 years (hoping/praying/whatever that the 10k annual thing even last 4 years).

But I still don't understand why you value $444.44 redeemable only at cash value of flights, over more miles, if you don't book coach. (Sorry, when I said "fly" coach, I meant "book" coach. Obviously, if book coach but fly up front often because you get upgrades, that's great, but it has nothing to do with the cost of booking business/first outright.) Redeeming at cash equivalent value is fine for coach, but business/first typically costs 5x to 10x in cash (compared to advance coach, anyway) but only costs 2x in miles (except at Delta), so cards like Arrival don't seem all that well suites to business/first travel.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arsenalman
So do you recommend cancelling the card or converting it into a non Fee card?
I don't see the point of converting a card you've only had one year, unless you have trouble applying for a new non-fee card in its place, or have a very short (or thin) credit history and thus want to take a card you only got a year ago and use it as the basis of credit history going forward.

Since I have a long credit history, I never convert cards to no-fee, I just cancel. Then if I want a no-fee card, I apply for it outright so I can get any bonus that comes with applying for it. You never get a bonus for converting.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

I don't put the same value at earning as burning. My point is that there are numerous, repeatable opportunities to get 40k (or more) for $89 (or less), and in view of that, I view paying $356 to get 40k as not that great a value compared to the other ways of getting US/AA miles.

I never buy miles (I don't consider that to be great value, even at a 100% bonus), so I don't compare that to redemption value either.

Also, if you tie earning value to redemption value too much, the whole thing goes poof if there's a devaluation announced in a while. But if you earn your miles at closest-to-$0 cost possible, the devaluation hurts a bit but can't ever put you "underwater", the way "overpaying" for miles theoretically could.

This is all based on the future, not the past. In the future, US=AA, so stockpiling AA miles is the same (long term) as stockpiling US miles. And AA business cards are churnable several times a year (plus a personal card every couple years), with the first year annual fee waived each time. Compared to paying $0 annual fee for 100k++ in each year, why pay $356 for $40k only over 4 years (hoping/praying/whatever that the 10k annual thing even last 4 years).

But I still don't understand why you value $444.44 redeemable only at cash value of flights, over more miles, if you don't book coach. (Sorry, when I said "fly" coach, I meant "book" coach. Obviously, if book coach but fly up front often because you get upgrades, that's great, but it has nothing to do with the cost of booking business/first outright.) Redeeming at cash equivalent value is fine for coach, but business/first typically costs 5x to 10x in cash (compared to advance coach, anyway) but only costs 2x in miles (except at Delta), so cards like Arrival don't seem all that well suites to business/first travel.
You don't need to book coach flights. The Arrival statement credit can be applied to hotels or any other travel (including refundable travel *cough*). If you opt for 40K US instead of 40K ($444.44) Arrival you are buying the miles, plain and simple. Every time you spend a dollar on a 1x card you are buying them for 2.22 cents vs arrival. I personally think the option to buy 10K for less than 1 cpm at every anniversary is worth keeping. As I've tried to lay out, if you decide to cancel and re-apply with the 40K link, you are not getting an extra 40K for nothing, you are giving up something for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.