Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by noamaan
Question about the 5000 discount you get for holding this card - is it only if I make award booking through usairways.com (on usairways metal), or if e.g. I make a partner booking on the phone, I'm eligible for this discount too if I use the card to make the fees payment etc.
Discount only on US air metal. No partners.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:01 am

Hello,
I applied thru the Barclay website and got approved for 30,000 mile Premier World, however, I did NOT get the $89 fee waived, NOR did I get the 10,000 mile anniversary bonus... Actually, I got the card last week and the $89 annual fee was charged UPFRONT after the first charge...
Does anyone know if by calling in and providing a CODE or something to that effect, they can "honor" the new agreement, that is, waiving the $89 fee plus getting an additional 10,000 miles in the anniversary date?
I appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by accutrader
Hello,
I applied thru the Barclay website and got approved for 30,000 mile Premier World, however, I did NOT get the $89 fee waived, NOR did I get the 10,000 mile anniversary bonus... Actually, I got the card last week and the $89 annual fee was charged UPFRONT after the first charge...
Does anyone know if by calling in and providing a CODE or something to that effect, they can "honor" the new agreement, that is, waiving the $89 fee plus getting an additional 10,000 miles in the anniversary date?
Thanks in advance.
I doubt it. It is very hard to get manual adjustments from Barclays. However you may want to call and speak with a supervisor and see if he can do anything.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by michael_v
Discount only on US air metal. No partners.
+1

There is another published benefit of award fee waiver after spending $25k.

I erroneously interpreted it as waiver of award booking fees on partners as well. That's not true. I didn't mind putting 25k on this card as the miles are quite valuable but it would have been nice to have that 2x$50 fee waived. I'm gonna push for a AF waiver later this year.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by accutrader
Hello,
Thanks in advance.
How do you know yo won't get the 10k bonus ? My card arrived today ( 2nd card, applied using the link in post #1) and I see the annual fee waived but no mention of the 10K anniversary bonus or even how many miles i get as a signup bonus

I emailed Barclays to confirm the signup bonus, I guess I will check on the 10k anniversary bonus on both cards

With the merger looking good does anyone have an idea when the USAir miles will convert to AA ? I'm thinkig within 6 months of the merger being official

Yes I know the merger isn't official yet but the recent spike in LCC stock makes it look like it's just about a done deal

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
How do you know yo won't get the 10k bonus ? My card arrived today ( 2nd card, applied using the link in post #1) and I see the annual fee waived but no mention of the 10K anniversary bonus or even how many miles i get as a signup bonus

I emailed Barclays to confirm the signup bonus, I guess I will check on the 10k anniversary bonus on both cards

With the merger looking good does anyone have an idea when the USAir miles will convert to AA ? I'm thinkig within 6 months of the merger being official

Yes I know the merger isn't official yet but the recent spike in LCC stock makes it look like it's just about a done deal
It took more than 2 years after the official merger before CO and UA programs to merge.

Dont hold your breath on the guess of 6 months.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:59 pm

Bizarre Cancellation Requirement?

I'm coming up on my first anniversary of opening a Barclays US DM card and today I got a letter in the mail extolling the virtues of the card but also saying this in small print:

"An Annual Fee of $89 will bill on your account on November xx. To avoid paying the Annual Fee you must call us at ....... by 5:00pm ET November xx to close your account"

Now I've had and closed several Chase and Citi card before but never seen anything like this. The usual routine in my experience is that you see the AF billed, call the CSR who will try to offer you something to keep the card, but in the end will close it if you insist.

Is it different with Barclays? Do people really heed this warning and call to cancel before the AF is billed? What will happen if wait till I see the AF billed to my account and then call to cancel?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AXR64
I'm coming up on my first anniversary of opening a Barclays US DM card and today I got a letter in the mail extolling the virtues of the card but also saying this in small print:

"An Annual Fee of $89 will bill on your account on November xx. To avoid paying the Annual Fee you must call us at ....... by 5:00pm ET November xx to close your account"

Now I've had and closed several Chase and Citi card before but never seen anything like this. The usual routine in my experience is that you see the AF billed, call the CSR who will try to offer you something to keep the card, but in the end will close it if you insist.

Is it different with Barclays? Do people really heed this warning and call to cancel before the AF is billed? What will happen if wait till I see the AF billed to my account and then call to cancel?
You can SM them and they would confirm that if you close your account within 60 days after the fee is billed, the fee would be reversed.

I actually like the fact that Barclays informs you WHEN the AF would be billed versus Chase always bills it on the 1st of the month of your anniversary, regardless WHEN is the actual date your card's anniversary. So if you get a card near the end of a month, you would be hit with AF on the 1st of the 12th month instead of your anniversary date.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It took more than 2 years after the official merger before CO and UA programs to merge.

Dont hold your breath on the guess of 6 months.

About 3 months after the airlines started flying under the same FAA flight certificate the FF programs were merged

The airlines attained a single operating certificate from the FAA on November 30, 2011. That day, all Continental Airlines flights began to use the "United" call sign during air traffic control communications. This marked the end of Continental Airlines.

The single operating certificate was acquired and all flights use the United callsign, some Continental Airlines flights continued into 2012. On March 3, 2012, Continental's passenger reservation system and frequent flyer program was merged into United.

The current deadline for AA and Usair to be operating under one FAA certificate in Jan 18, 2014

This deal is moving faster because AMR needs it ( or at least has it in it's plans) to emerge from bankruptcy

So is May 4 really out of the question ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
About 3 months after the airlines started flying under the same FAA flight certificate the FF programs were merged

The airlines attained a single operating certificate from the FAA on November 30, 2011. That day, all Continental Airlines flights began to use the "United" call sign during air traffic control communications. This marked the end of Continental Airlines.

The single operating certificate was acquired and all flights use the United callsign, some Continental Airlines flights continued into 2012. On March 3, 2012, Continental's passenger reservation system and frequent flyer program was merged into United.

The current deadline for AA and Usair to be operating under one FAA certificate in Jan 18, 2014

This deal is moving faster because AMR needs it ( or at least has it in it's plans) to emerge from bankruptcy

So is May 4 really out of the question ?
The original planned date of CO/UA program merger was much earlier than the March 2012 date. It has postponed several times until they came up with the Dec 2011 date, and then one more postponement to the March 2012 date and it finally merged.

The official merger date of CO and UA was far earlier than the One Single FAA certificate granted date. Their merger was approved and in process for a long time before the single certificate was in place.

US government finally approved the CO/UA merger on Aug 27 2010. That is 15 months before the Single FAA Certificate was granted in Nov 2011.

The deadline of current AMR and US one FAA certificate notwithstanding, such date can always change, especially in light of the current plan is being challenged by the government. No official approval in sight yet. US government is asking a large divestification of assets of the 2 airlines as conditions of approval, or at least that is what the Justice dept brought to the negotiation table.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:30 pm

The original planned date of CO/UA program merger was much earlier than the March 2012 date. It has postponed several times until they came up with the Dec 2011 date, and then one more postponement to the March 2012 date and it finally merged.

The official merger date of CO and UA was far earlier than the One Single FAA certificate granted date. Their merger was approved and in process for a long time before the single certificate was in place.

US government finally approved the CO/UA merger on Aug 27 2010. That is 15 months before the Single FAA Certificate was granted in Nov 2011.

The deadline of current AMR and US one FAA certificate notwithstanding, such date can always change, especially in light of the current plan is being challenged by the government. No official approval in sight yet. US government is asking a large divestification of assets of the 2 airlines as conditions of approval, or at least that is what the Justice dept brought to the negotiation table.

Big difference is AMR needs this to go through to help get out of bankruptcy, the way my LCC stock has been acting I can't see it getting denied

Approved and in the process has nothing to do with the actual merger date

The govt has backed down so much they are now hoping not to go to trial, the govt is saying that

Seems the holdup is takeoff and landing slots...........done deal by December if that

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/bu...oofinance&_r=0

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Data Points

Instant approvals on 3rd set using the link in 1st post.

History:

08/12 1st set 40K instant approval
01/13 2nd set 40K instant approval
08/13 X'ed 1st set after 10K bonus but before fee billed
11/13 3rd set 35K instant approval when 2nd set remains open

Last edited by Happy; Nov 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm Reason: added more data
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Happy:21738880
Data Points

Instant approvals on 3rd set using the link in 1st post.

History:

08/12 1st set 40K instant approval
01/13 2nd set 40K instant approval
08/13 X'ed 1st set after 10K bonus but before fee billed
11/13 3rd set 35K
Nice! Have actually been using the cards for daily spend?

I got denied for card 4 this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to get myself into Barclay's good graces again.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Nice! Have actually been using the cards for daily spend?

I got denied for card 4 this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to get myself into Barclay's good graces again.
Nope. Did do the 15K promo on one card out of the 2nd set. Only one card received the offer so... The CLs approved were identical on both 1st and 2nd set. The CLs on the 3rd set went up a bit.

Since July, has had AMEX SPG, BofA AS and Chase BA. All are done separately in different months.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:27 am

Nope. Did do the 15K promo on one card out of the 2nd set. Only one card received the offer so... The CLs approved were identical on both 1st and 2nd set. The CLs on the 3rd set went up a bit.

Since July, has had AMEX SPG, BofA AS and Chase BA. All are done separately in different months.
Good that you can still get this the 3rd time around. Did you still have card #2 open when you applied for #3?
My wife tried getting card #3 several months ago (after waiting about 9mts between apps) but was not instantly approved and when called recon- said cant give her another card as she already holds card #2 still open--they wont budge on that even when she told them want to separate spending. Just wondering if she should close card #2 and wait (dont know how long though) before reapplying so not to waste another credit pull.

Last edited by sharka; Nov 7, 2013 at 10:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.