Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Another issue with this is that fares and award availability will get worse, as many more people will be booking now...
MSPeconomist and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:22 pm

So I am current abroad with a flight Sunday that takes off when it’s late morning EDT. UA requires the test result be submitted to check-in, but I understand the requirement is formally for boarding.

Right now the UA app still suggests a test is required. We’ll have to see what happens, but I suspect I’ll be one of the last Americans to be tested before returning home.

Fortunately I already have emed tests on hand and the cost is already sunk. I guess I’ll wait until Sunday AM local and see if the requirement is gone.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:25 pm

" CDC Director Rochelle Walensky plans later Friday to sign an order lifting the testing requirement, an official told the Journal." International Travelers Flying to U.S. Won’t Have to Test for Covid-19 Anymore | Barron's (barrons.com)

Airlines would not be in compliance if they lift requirements before the order is signed and official.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
And Delta will give you 1 mile
Correction, that's one SkyPeso.
84fiero, LETTERBOY, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:32 pm

about time...
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by fumje
​​​​​​
I leave the US tomorrow and return late in the week. Very conflicted about whether to leave the tests behind. I would love to have the space back, but I don't have faith that everything will be properly changed over by then. On the other hand, this gets so much press, I think by Tuesday all airline staff will know.

Anyone else travelling to US next week and decided what to do?
Son DIL and their kids to CZM tomorrow. I was going to give them my left over Emed tests for the return, and NO NEED!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
" CDC Director Rochelle Walensky plans later Friday to sign an order lifting the testing requirement, an official told the Journal." International Travelers Flying to U.S. Won’t Have to Test for Covid-19 Anymore | Barron's (barrons.com)

Airlines would not be in compliance if they lift requirements before the order is signed and official.
Anyone see the order yet?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:00 pm

I wonder how long it takes united to update its app to let people be able to check in.

I have an in bound flight Sunday from yvr
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
I'm not aware of any "U.S. government" requirement for pre-cruise testing. As far as I know, it's the cruise lines themselves that are requiring them.
And given what they went through, it's a smart idea because the last thing that industry needs to remain in business are ships full of covid19 cases.
cruise lines follow "voluntary " cdc guidance for cruises which require pre-cruise testing and vaccinations. Cruise lines could choose to not follow that guidance but the cdc wouldn't be kind to them as a result.

Since cruising restarted a year ago, covid rates on board have been extremely low compared to national averages.

The big issue is for those that do test positive on board, you're treated like a prisoner (again as required by the cdc)

Last edited by underscore; Jun 10, 2022 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:18 pm

Still waiting to see 'formal' announcement. CDC--nothing DHS-- nothing...WHITEHOUSE.GOV...nothing
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'm scheduled to fly back from Mexico on Sunday, and AA sent me an email today reminding me of the testing requirement.

I've got an appointment scheduled at a nearby clinic to get a test tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to keep that appointment (it's 3 blocks away and the test is maybe $15), but it would be nice to have some clarity already.​​​​​​
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
20 minutes to 5pm on the west coast and still no press release? curious.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: A bunch
It definitely will! I flew to Stockholm two days ago. No masks, tests or vaccination cards. Flights as full as they used to be and lots of unaccustomed travelers who couldn’t locate their passports or knew how to go through security. Just as pre-covid!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by trek604
20 minutes to 5pm on the west coast and still no press release? curious.
It is past office hours now, give CDC customer service a call on Monday morning...
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta
There is at least a notice on the CDC web site. Not sure it counts as the "press release" or "official order" that some were looking for.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...D-19-test.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.