Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Is there a press release or anything officially released about this? I am flying 0600 ET on Sunday so I'm debating whether or not to just do the test I paid for anyways to be safe...

Last edited by trek604; Jun 10, 2022 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Wondering if requirement for Covid tests FROM US to international, in my case BVI, will be also deleted?
This announcement is unrelated. Check BVI's rules.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Wow is all I can say. Didn’t have a lot of faith in this being dropped anytime soon. Hopefully this is the end of all travel mandates and other countries follow. It does worry me that they will reevaluate in 90 days. The cdc loves to crap their pants and I have no doubt they will try to put it back if they get spooked even though this rule did nothing at all.

Also hope this means I can check in online international again when returning. Some of the lines at foreign airports are ridiculous because they have to check the test results.
I flew zrh to jfk a week ago, at T-20 I used a c/i kiosk to complete.the ATTESTATION form and get my bp.
Whether doing this on-line would have worked
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
This is bloody good news and will save me a whole bunch of money at the end of the month when wife and daughter head home.
volabam likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by trek604
Is there a press release or anything from CBP about this? I am flying 0600 ET on Sunday so I'm debating whether or not to just do the test I paid for anyways to be safe...
CBP hasn’t been relevant to this for any of my flights to the US. I’m a US citizen. What’s relevant is the CDC.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:06 am

Has the CDC formally announced this? I have been reading all morning about 'reports' but nothing from the CDC confirming the rule.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by RRROOO
Has the CDC formally announced this? I have been reading all morning about 'reports' but nothing from the CDC confirming the rule.
That leads me to suspect that the CDC wanted to keep it, but was overruled by the White House.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Haven’t seen anything on White House, CDC, or Federal Register.

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
That leads me to suspect that the CDC wanted to keep it, but was overruled by the White House.
Those sites above didn’t post anything until a day or two after press reported it concerning prior COVID travel related announcements.

Originally Posted by trek604
Is there a press release or anything from CBP about this? I am flying 0600 ET on Sunday so I'm debating whether or not to just do the test I paid for anyways to be safe...
You need to look at CDC not CBP as the testing is a CDC order to air operators. The later agency wasn’t involved in the testing order to begin with.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:13 am

From what I can tell, no one has formally announced this yet. Presumably we'll see the official release soon. Given how widespread the new reports are and that there hasn't been a denial, it's clearly true, but not yet official.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Great news! But I have 2 sets (12) from United/eked. Wondering if and how to return??
You are lucky. I have about 30 tests that I now plan to just use for self-testing. EMed website says “All sales are final and non-refundable.”

The announcement today mentions there will be a review in 90 days, and that testing could be reinstated if needed. So best to hang on to those unexpired tests!
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Nothing formal announced as yet. I'm flying to the US on Tuesday morning and have a Qured test booked for Monday morning which I will still take, just so I don't have any delay checking in
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
If you are part owner of Qured right now you're probably drinking very heavily.
Thinking it’s the same with eMed. They will no doubt lay off a lot of staff. I wonder how usable the proctoring will be going forward (if accessing the service will be challenging)? I think cruise ships still require tests. We shall see…
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I hope this doesn’t cause more infections on planes especially since masks aren’t required on most flights to and from the US and most US airports. If my dad hadn’t tested the day of their travel as required he was potentially going to infect a lot of people on their flight.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Thinking it’s the same with eMed. They will no doubt lay off a lot of staff. I wonder how usable the proctoring will be going forward (if accessing the service will be challenging)? I think cruise ships still require tests. We shall see…
Originally Posted by Nayef
I hope this doesn’t cause more infections on planes especially since masks aren’t required on most flights to and from the US and most US airports. If my dad hadn’t tested the day of their travel as required he was potentially going to infect a lot of people on their flight.
It will be interesting to see the reports in the news of the financial impact of this:
-testing sites and staff layoffs
-impact on companies that produce test kits
-Verifly app: it may be hit significantly, including the special areas in airports with Verifly checkin lines

Also, will this speed up airport check in for international flights, at least to the US? That would be a nice benefit.
LETTERBOY and FlyingfromDC like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. That’s the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope I’m wrong, and fingers crossed.
nk15 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.